Is This Look Normal To You?

Tina Lee

I received my Edison Nouveau Spring Blossom pen in the mail today. Flushed it with water, inked it with Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses, and began writing. It's a gorgeous pen.

But I'm a bit new to the FP world, and I noticed I could see the ink (it's a dark purple color) through the resin of the pen in the area of the feed component. I just wanted to ask if this was normal?

Thanks all!

post-112791-0-66446500-1398709078.jpeg

post-112791-0-70301800-1398709081.jpeg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tina Lee

• vistafan

• KBeezie

• bgray

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks OK to me...the acrylic material is translucent and a darker ink will show through. Also, the feed itself is black, so much of what you see may just be the feed.

Nice looking pen, by the way! Brian Gray makes some awesome writing tools!

Edited by Snargle

Larry

Well....if the plastic is translucent, and dark ink flows though the feed, then....you might see the ink flowing through the feed !

Edited by rochester21

Looks OK to me...the acrylic material is translucent and a darker ink will show through. Also, the feed itself is black, so much of what you see may just be the feed.

Nice looking pen, by the way! Brian Gray makes some awesome writing tools!

Well....if the plastic is translucent, and dark ink flows though the feed, then....you might see the ink flowing through the feed !

Great! Whew. It just looked kind of like the ink was "sticking" to the inside of the resin.

Just wanted to make sure my beautiful new pen was perfect! Thanks everyone!

Tina

Ink has seeped through to the section. The section can be unscrewed from the nib unit; you will then be able to rinse the section and wipe away the ink and screw the nib unit back in. Hope that helps.

It is perfectly normal, but there is an easy solution :)

Edited by vistafan

Ink has seeped through to the section. The section can be unscrewed from the nib unit; you will then be able to rinse the section and wipe away the ink and screw the nib unit back in. Hope that helps.

It is not a problem, but there is an easy solution :)

That sounds simple enough. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? To fill the pen up I dipped the entire nib + section into into the bottle.

Also... I apologize for the poor grammar of my title. I meant to write "Is this normal" or "Does this look normal" and ended up with a goofy hybrid of the two :rolleyes:

You could always fill the converter straight from the bottle, but you would need to prime the feed so it gets saturated with ink. I have not encountered any staining using your method, so you can continue to fill it that way; just occasionally clean the section.

Edited by vistafan

It is perfectly normal. Ink seeped between the nib unit and section threads. If you dip the pen like you described for filling, this will always happen. To prevent this, either remove the convertor for filling, or use catridges. This happens with virtually all pens with screw in nib units.

fpn_1389205880__post_card_exchange_small.png

Fantastic!! This community is the greatest. You all have been so helpful. Thanks again!

Glad we could help! Great pen by the way - I really want one! :)

Great! Whew. It just looked kind of like the ink was "sticking" to the inside of the resin.

Just wanted to make sure my beautiful new pen was perfect! Thanks everyone!

Tina

If you continue with fountain pens, you'll soon get to the point where that won't bother you (unless you're OCD :wallbash:), and when the ink is used up or you decide to change colors or pens, you'll just clean the pen and move on.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

If you just flushed the nib, then most likely what you are seeing is water, and not ink. Especially if you flushed with something that adds a little force, like a bulb syringe.

The pen is filled with a converter. So under normal circumstances, the converter attaches to the feed nipple on the back of the nib housing.

This will completely isolate the ink from the outside of the housing.

So unless there is a problem, your ink will not find it's way to the outside of the housing.

But the water from flushing can find it's way to this location.

And as others stated, this is completely normal, and even if this is ink, no real harm. A normal flushing routine would remove the ink. You are just seeing through an acrylic that is translucent enough to show this. If it bothers you, then you can disassemble everything as shown above, and then completely dry everything, then re-assemble.

Enjoy! :)

Edited by bgray

...and just a heads up...there's plenty of pens that leave our facility looking just like this.

All of our pens that are equipped as Eyedroppers, Pump Fillers, Pneumatic Fillers, or Bulb Fillers will have a coat of silicone grease at this point.

So as long as the material is translucent enough, it will show this "wetness" through the material.

Here's an example. This is a Morgan Pump Filler made from a VERY translucent material, so the section "wetness" is greatly exaggerated. But this is perfectly normal.

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/photos/i-mt4Hd8q/0/L/i-mt4Hd8q-L.jpg

Edited by bgray

...and just a heads up...there's plenty of pens that leave our facility looking just like this.

All of our pens that are equipped as Eyedroppers, Pump Fillers, Pneumatic Fillers, or Bulb Fillers will have a coat of silicone grease at this point.

So as long as the material is translucent enough, it will show this "wetness" through the material.

Here's an example. This is a Morgan Pump Filler made from a VERY translucent material, so the section "wetness" is greatly exaggerated. But this is perfectly normal.

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/photos/i-mt4Hd8q/0/L/i-mt4Hd8q-L.jpg

... That's Gorgeous, I would love to find something like that in green (or even smokey/black)

Your Wish....

:)

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/Pens/The-Menlo-Pump-Filler/i-4rLx9xq/0/L/IMG_4213-L.jpg

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/Pens/The-Menlo-Pump-Filler/i-Cm3Mtfj/0/L/IMG_4193-L.jpg

And actually, we do have one just like the Green Swirl, but in a Dark Grey Swirl, but we haven't photographed it yet. It will be with us at the Chicago Pen Show this weekend, or email me, and I'll send good pics.

Edited by bgray

Your Wish....

:)

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/Pens/The-Menlo-Pump-Filler/i-4rLx9xq/0/L/IMG_4213-L.jpg

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/Pens/The-Menlo-Pump-Filler/i-Cm3Mtfj/0/L/IMG_4193-L.jpg

And actually, we do have one just like the Green Swirl, but in a Dark Grey Swirl, but we haven't photographed it yet. It will be with us at the Chicago Pen Show this weekend, or email me, and I'll send good pics.

You just had to do that when funds are a little low (lol....)

Or you could always send it to me and I'll photograph it... *grin*

Oh my God, I would sell my right arm, my kidney, and my kid for a pen with that translucent green color. Darn it, I will have to get me an Edison before the year is out. But not before I buy myself my grail, the Pilot Custom 823.

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

Oh my God, I would sell my right arm, my kidney, and my kid for a pen with that translucent green color. Darn it, I will have to get me an Edison before the year is out. But not before I buy myself my grail, the Pilot Custom 823.

Yea... if I had to choose between smokey swirly or green swirly, I'd go for the translucent green (it's my favorite color after all, but I don't see it too often in a style that I'd like in a pen).