I Have Committed A Great Sin: Bought A Pilot Vanishing Point

Sallent

Not sure if the VP takes CON-50. My Fermo did.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sallent

• KBeezie

• proton007

• Donald2

Not sure if the VP takes CON-50. My Fermo did.

VP Comes with a CON-50. (I don't think the Con-20 would allow for the click-functionality, and I think the Con-50 is the only one it works with).

http://www.gouletpens.com/v/vspfiles/photos/PN-VP-RedRhod-8.jpg

Edited by KBeezie

VP Comes with a CON-50. (I don't think the Con-20 would allow for the click-functionality, and I think the Con-50 is the only one it works with).

The Fermo uses a 'twist' mechanism unlike the 'click' in VP/Decimo. Mine came without a convertor, but it works fine with both con-20 and 50.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

A Con-20 works just fine in a VP, that's what I'm using in mine right now.

:P Well then I stand corrected. The Con-20 seems to hold more ink anyways (and a cartridge even more). It's like the opposite experience I have with international standard.

Though I noticed there seems to be two different Con-20, the ones that come with the pen, which just has a sheet of metal wrapped around a the latex sac so you can see the whole sac viewing it from the side, and then the one you can buy after the fact which has the sac mostly encased, with a little window to press. I much prefer the exposed design, I feel like I can squeeze more of the sac at once with it.

So when I got my Pilot Elite the other day (late 70s, early 80s), it had similar to a after-sale version of the Con-20, except the sac was clear, and I went and replaced it with my spare Con-20 from the Metropolitan (which has a Con-50 in it currently cuz I'd like to see the ink I'm using in that one).

I think if I ever got a VP, I'd probably do a Con-20 just like you did, for the ink capacity mainly. it's probably the only squeeze filler I used that take up the most ink in just a single squeeze.

I am curious though how 'fine' the Vanishing Point Extra-Fine is, according to Goulet's Nib Nook, their "Fine" is about the same as their own Pilot Metropolitan's Medium (meaning their Extra-Fine is probably around the same as the Metro's Fine, when it's out). Does pilot's "fine-ness" vary a bit between models and nib materials? (kind of like how I got this Elite Vintage pen with an 'extra-fine', but it doesn't seem much finer than what I'd think of a typical Japanese fine).

Edited by KBeezie

The Fermo uses a 'twist' mechanism unlike the 'click' in VP/Decimo. Mine came without a convertor, but it works fine with both con-20 and 50.

Had to look that up to see what you meant. I see the twist nob on the back, didn't know they made a VP like that.

.....I am curious though how 'fine' the Vanishing Point Extra-Fine is,....

I hope this helps a little. I love this pen and the nib!

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/140429/P1180732_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Had to look that up to see what you meant. I see the twist nob on the back, didn't know they made a VP like that.

The Fermo is much more than a VP with a twist knob instead of a click mechanism. The Fermo has better fit and finish (at least from what I've seen from pictures) and is a little more refined, and the price tag reflects it ($300 vs $140)

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

If you think of a "converter" as a "Removable piston Filler" you may feel happier with the concept! :) Personally I love them because I change inks quite often and c/c pens are very easy to clean and change over - plus you have the option of carrying one spare cartridge as an emergency reserve supply, just in case you run out ............. whereas with a piston or vacuum filler you have to go running for an ink bottle.

My removable piston fillers don't convert from anything - I never use cartridges - and some of the piston fillers don't have that big a capacity in reality. Eyedroppers are different kettle of fish of course, but that is a LOT of ink!

I wish I could write comfortably with a Vanishing Point. I like the concept and convenience but I just can't get a comfortable grip (I am left handed for one thing). Nice pens however.

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

When I tried to use it, the nib didn't extract as far as with the con-50 or cartridge. Its the one that came with 78G if it makes any difference.

When I tried to use it, the nib didn't extract as far as with the con-50 or cartridge. Its the one that came with 78G if it makes any difference.

It's the with the wrap-around bar with the exposed latex sac when seen from the side, as opposed to this one then:

http://www.gouletpens.com/v/vspfiles/photos/PN69900-2.jpg

I prefer the one that comes *with* the 78G/Metropolitan/etc. But not sure why they're both called Con-20 (unless I'm wrong, but it's listed as a con-20 on some sites) Brian Goulet called it a 'cleaning converter' because he didn't have a model number for it.

In this video you can see that it's a little shorter than the Con-20 you'd buy separately. Which may be why the nib doesn't go down as far.

Edited by KBeezie

Sounds like you got a really good buy!

Ben

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

Tracking says the pen is due to arrive tomorrow at the office. I already told my paralegals to watch for the package, as I'll be in court in the morning.

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

Trust me, no sin here. I have had one of my two VP's in my pocket for at least the last four years - three of which involved a lot of note taking and writing for seminary classes. The VP, for me, is the ultimate in convenience and a smooth writing fp. I have been using a Fine nib for several years as it has the optimal combination of ink flow and line width - again, for me. One nice thing about the VP is the availability of relatively inexpensive nib units - so you can have a choice of great nibs. Also, you can get custom grinds from Richard Binder.

Good luck with your new pen - and watch that rum!

Edited by Kelly G

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

The Fermo is much more than a VP with a twist knob instead of a click mechanism. The Fermo has better fit and finish (at least from what I've seen from pictures) and is a little more refined, and the price tag reflects it ($300 vs $140)

From what I've read, it's the mechanism that's costlier to design and make. The body is made of brass, same as the metal versions of VPs, and slimmer like the Decimo (maybe that's why the fit & finish looks better, but I doubt there's any difference).

Edited by proton007

- Alan Watts

I'm a convert to the VP and boy have I been converted.

Originally, I didn't like the way they looked (I'm not a fan of hooded nibs) and I thought the "click" mechanism was ugly. However, I decided to buy one anyway and I love it. Mine has a M nib and has been in constant rotation since it arrived in January.

Until this week I've been using it with a Pilot a Blue-Black cartridges which seem to have a good ink capacity and I really like the colour and flow. A couple of days ago I filled the converter with Diamine Royal Blue. The pen is still working brilliantly and the capacity is fine for meeting notes and jotting down thoughts, ideas and To Dos.

I could see how if you had to limit to 2 pens, the VP would be one of them (my Pilot Custom Heritage 92 is the other one.)

I love the VP! I have the Matte Black and Blue versions and just love them both. You can not beat the convenience and they perform very, very well. Having a VP in meetings is a God send for a FP user!

The Orange and Black VP is the first one of the series I have actually liked the looks of. It is on my short list to acquire.

Welcome to the dark side. You'll love it here. Count down until you buy an extra nib unit / another VP. I now have 2, with 4 nibs, two custom ground. Don't know how I got here! But feels good, man.

Tracking says the pen is due to arrive tomorrow at the office. I already told my paralegals to watch for the package, as I'll be in court in the morning.

Did you specify what it was, or did you just say 'watch for a package' with a nervous look on your face. :P