I Have Committed A Great Sin: Bought A Pilot Vanishing Point

Sallent

I have just committed the worst sin in my 8+ years as a FP user. I bought a C/C pen. After swearing to never buy a FP without an internal filler mechanism, I just ordered a black Pilot Vanishing Point with rhodium plated trim, and an 18K rhodium plated nib, from Goulet Pens.

What have I done? I knew I should not have drank that cheap bottle of Thai rum my friend brought me from Asia. A couple of shots of that stuff and the order had been placed before I came to my senses. Darn it, why didn't I stick to vodka?

At least I had the foresight to order a Con 20 converter along with it, which has that vintage Parker flare to it with the press bar rubber bladder. Here's hoping I don't come to regret this order. At least with the converter I can stay away from those dreaded cartridges and keep using bottled ink, and given the classic design of the Con 20 converter, I may be able to stomach using this pen.

Edited by Sallent

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sallent

• KBeezie

• proton007

• Donald2

At least you will enjoy unwrapping it - just think, a lovely box from Goulet Pens.

And maybe you will need to drink Thai rum every time you decide to use the pen. LOL

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

As much as I like internal filler systems, the truth is that having the Pilot VP will probably be extremely convenient for me when it comes to meetings and writing post-it notes to my staff. That's something that can get little inconvenient in the office with a traditional FP. At least I can say that about the Pilot VP. Now, had I bought a regular FP with a screw cap that was a C/C, I think I'd truly be kicking myself right about now. So I guess my semi-tipsy impulsive buy fueled by that bottle of Thai rum probably wasn't all that bad.

Plus I already have two Pilot Custom 92 piston fillers, so my VP will probably fit in.

Drink some more rum and order some cartridges. They hold more ink than the converter and can be refilled numerous times.

That's why tea and good Canadian rye whisky are the only things one should drink in connection with fountain pens.

Sometimes a technology reaches perfection and further development is just tinkering. The fountain pen is a good example of this.

Drink some more rum and order some cartridges. They hold more ink than the converter and can be refilled numerous times.

I just read that the Con-20 converter holds about as much ink as a Pilot Cartridge, so that's good. I am already committed to bottle ink with all my piston filler pens, so I don't want cartridges. I'll stick to my Con-20 converter for the VP. Besides, I prefer the diversity of inks available in the bottle inked market, as well as the recyclable nature of bottles vs plastic cartridges (which is the reason I've always owned pens with internal filler mechanisms, until now)

+1, also, the pilot cartridge ink is pretty good. I do still like being able to refill with the ink of my choice

The Vanishing Point is special. It deserves an exception. :)

You may be right. I'll find out in the next 2-3 days for myself. I think part of me was drawn to it, in my slightly intoxicated state, due to the ballpoint pen-like mechanism. Having to uncap a regular FP to write a short post-it note to a staff member, or to take a quick note, can be slightly inconvenient at times. The VP looks like it may be more convenient for those situations.

This is the 3rd Pilot pen I buy in one month. I bought two Pilot Custom 92 FPs earlier this month, and I absolutely love the nibs and piston filler mechanisms on those two pens.

Edited by Sallent

You've inspired me. I just filled up one of my VP's for the work week... Filled it with some Ancient Copper. It has been months since one of my VP's has been in rotation.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

I just read that the Con-20 converter holds about as much ink as a Pilot Cartridge, so that's good. I am already committed to bottle ink with all my piston filler pens, so I don't want cartridges. I'll stick to my Con-20 converter for the VP. Besides, I prefer the diversity of inks available in the bottle inked market, as well as the recyclable nature of bottles vs plastic cartridges (which is the reason I've always owned pens with internal filler mechanisms, until now)

Well, I like my Vanishing Points. I can tell you that if you have the fine nib, then a single cartridge (I know you don't want to use them, but bear with me a moment) will last fairly long. If you got the broad nib, probably not so long.

But about those cartridges. One thing about the Pilot cartridges is that the little plastic disk at the end lets you reseal them fairly easily. See this thread for details. So you can buy a pack of a practical ink like the Pilot Blue, every time a cartridge is emptied, refill it with something you like better, and then just keep those refilled cartridges around indefinitely until you need them. That way, you can refill on the go with whatever ink it is that you use. Just don't lose the little metal cartridge cap that comes with the pen.

And you can still use the converter, of course.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I just realized I forgot to mention the nib size. I ordered an XF nib. I already have a F nib and a FM nib on my Pilot Custom 92 fountain pens. I tend to write small, so finer nibs suit me better. That is the reason I got into Pilot pens in the first place, they know how to make real F nibs, and not what Europeans try to pass off as a F nib. Although I love my F and FM Pilot nibs, I can't wait to see how thin the lines on a Pilot XF are.

Edited by Sallent

I've noticed this doing a syringe transfer from a used pilot cartridge over to a converter (because the CON-50 didn't come til later), wasn't a full cartridge and I had left over from filling the converter. Kind of the opposite experience from international standard cartridges vs converter.

I just realized I forgot to mention the nib size. I ordered an XF nib. I already have a F nib and a FM nib on my Pilot Custom 92 fountain pens. I tend to write small, so finer nibs suit me better. That is the reason I got into Pilot pens in the first place, they know how to make real F nibs, and not what Europeans try to pass off as a F nib. Although I love my F and FM Pilot nibs, I can't wait to see how thin the lines on a Pilot XF are.

I'll find out tomorrow, but the main difference is, it's not a VP, but rather a late 70s Elite.

As much as I like internal filler systems, the truth is that having the Pilot VP will probably be extremely convenient for me when it comes to meetings and writing post-it notes to my staff. That's something that can get little inconvenient in the office with a traditional FP. At least I can say that about the Pilot VP. Now, had I bought a regular FP with a screw cap that was a C/C, I think I'd truly be kicking myself right about now. So I guess my semi-tipsy impulsive buy fueled by that bottle of Thai rum probably wasn't all that bad.

Plus I already have two Pilot Custom 92 piston fillers, so my VP will probably fit in.

Now you just need to get hammered and order a Nakaya. The urushi and divine nibs, if you like a stiffer nib, is worth the C/C. Besides, the C/C lets you run through the hundreds of inks you deserve to own. ;)

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

You're more than half way towards joining our elite school of dyed in the wool VP enthusiasts! Can't wait to hear how you feel once you've had the pen in hand for a few days. Enjoy!

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

Never drink and shop online. Never drink and text either. The VP is one of my favorite pens to write and draw with. I envy you for having the custom 92 with the piston filler. One of many pens on my wish list.

<p><span style="font-size:18px;">"And the final score is No TARDIS, no screwdriver, two minutes to spare. Who da Man!?! (long silence) I am never saying that again. Fine."- The Doctor </span>

No sin in purchasing a VP, no matter what anyone else says. They're great pens! They have a small ink capacity, but the cartridges do make a difference. Besides, C/C fillers, while not glamorous are easy to clean.

Tamara