48-Pen Zippered Pen Cases: Good Or Bad For Pen Storage?

Bennett

From time to time, there have been posts about using zippered pen cases for pen storage. I know some collectors use the 48-pen zippered pen cases which can be purchased from China at relatively low prices (or better quality leather versions from US, UK or Canada). Any thoughts or experiences on whether such cases are good for long-term pen storage? My guess is that vintage pens will likely need more tender care, but modern pens might fit in those elastic bands without damage. On the other hand, a collector might want a more protected environment for more expensive modern pens as well.

When I see pen company reps display their pens at a retail store show, most of them are using some type of zippered pen case with those elastic straps to hold the pens. Also, have seen them at some vendor tables of major pen shows. In both circumstances, even expensive models have been displayed this way.

Would be especially interested to hear from those who have used these cases for a number of years and whether they noticed any impact on the pens stored this way. Are there some cases to avoid? Any especially good ones to recommend? Or, should they be used only when nothing else is available.

Many thanks for any advice out there.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bennett

• Sasha Royale

• ac12

• Glenn Atkins

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use a zippered pen case. It has two straps for each pen and it has a flap to keep the two sides of the case banging into each other.

I like it. It gives me an upper size limit to my collection, it protects the pens, and it keeps them organized.

But, my pens are mostly on the lower price end, and I have no interest in older pens. Nor do I have an interest in keeping my pens pristine.

This is my case prior to my pen purge. You can't really see the flap.

http://squirrelscience.smugmug.com/2012-2013-Public/Local-Events/Crazy-Pen-Pix/i-tZ4ZW9S/0/L/20130422_9999_14-L.jpg

Edited by Waski_the_Squirrel

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Thanks Waski. I lean toward the lower price end as well. But, sad to say, I would need a bunch of those cases for my collection. I think the case would enable me to use some of these pens more frequently and find them faster.

I use 40 pen leather zippered cases. I collect vintage pens which are on the expensive side, and their size is ideal for storing in my safe.

I don't see why these cases would be bad for any pen. They are secure and they don't come in contact with one another.

I use the hard pen cases from Penn State Industries

These are for the standard size pens

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PK-DISP64.html?prodpage=1PK

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PK-DISP2.html?prodpage=1PK

They also have cases for the slimline pens

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PK-DISP96.html?prodpage=1PK (pix from PennStateInd)

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PK-DISP.html?prodpage=1PK

post-105113-0-61685400-1398739870.jpg

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I use those exact cases. They offer good protection, when I toss several into a satchel. They are economical, so I am not frugal

with the use. I store my Parker 45 pens with the caps removed, in the row of loops above each pen body. They reside, standing,

on a bookcase shelf. Content is identified by a paper tag attached at the zipper. I don't display my pens.

Good deals can be found in quantity. I got five for $80, free shipping.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Do these cases have a center protective flap? Or, how does each side keep from touching the other when the case is closed?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Glenn

Do these cases have a center protective flap? Or, how does each side keep from touching the other when the case is closed?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Glenn

If you look a the pix, there is a black elastic "string" (because it is round vs a flat band) going across the pens at about mid height. That holds the pen into the holders on each side. I personally would have preferred an elastic band rather than an elastic string. But I guess the manufacturer thought the narrow string has less visual obstruction when displaying the pens in the case, vs. the wider band.

The pens on each side are separated by distance. This is how deep the pen sits and the highest point on the pen compared to the depth of the frame.

For my fattest pen (worse case situation)

- clip up, the clip is 1/8 inch below the height of the frame.

- clip to the side, the cap is about 1/4 inch below the height of the frame.

The clearance is even more because you have the pens on the other side also below the height of the frame. So when I close the case, worst case is a minimum of about 3/8 inch separation, because the clips match up with the barrel of the pen on the other side when you close the case, not clip to clip. You can see this on the smaller cases where they put pens on both sides. On average, I think I have a bit over 1/2 inch separation.

The hard case does not flex like fabric, so no worries about the pens touching from case flexing. If it does, someone stepped on the case to do it. The large case has a strip of material at the same height as the outer frame separating the upper and lower rows. This strip matches on both sides, so more protection from collapsing.

The slimline case is for the older slimline pens like the original Cross Century, Parker 180 and Classic, etc. or the current Lamy cp1, etc. And older ball pens and mechanical pencils.

If you have a mix of slimline and larger pens, best to get the large size case, unless you have enough slimlines to warrant a slimline case.

Personal advice, get a case BIGGER than what you think you will need, and plan on getting a second case later. Because to paraphrase the old saying about closet space, "your collection will expand to fill and exceed the size of the case you bought." I also keep many of my cheaper pens (like Sheaffer School Pen, Papermate ball pen, etc.) in the case, because the case organizes the collection. That way I don't have the cheaper part of my collection in a shoe box that I have to find and dig out, the entire collection is in one place in the cases.

The only beef I have with the case is how you put the pen and remove it from the case. If you just lift and pull the pen, you will have friction of the end of the pen against the backing material, and this could cause wear. To avoid this, I lift the elastic string then I remove the pen with no friction against the backing material.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I have several 24-pen zipper cases that I picked up at my local Rockler for about $15-18 apiece. (I found a link for them on Rockler's website: http://www.rockler.com/zippered-pen-portfolio and the cases got pretty good customer reviews -- although admittedly they're geared more towards hobby pen-turners). They're not high end, being vinyl instead of leather, but I don't really carry them around. If I want to bring pens with me, I have smaller 2 and 3 pen holders.

The only serious issues I've had so far (besides discovering that one wasn't enough :rolleyes:) are:

1. one very small pen I have, an Arnold mini-pen, is too short to be held in by both sets of elastic.

2. I broke the cap finial on my Guanleming 2001 demonstrator, because the clip caught on the elastic and snapped the finial right off, shearing it so that the screw part was still inside the rest of the cap (it's a clear plastic pen, so you can see it). Admittedly, it was a $5 pen, but it was annoying to have done it; and it was (at the time) the pen dedicated to Noodler's Bay State Blue, just so I didn't have to worry quite so much about cross-contamination of inks.

I am a bit concerned that vinyl might not be the best material in the long run, especially for the vintage pens, but seems to work well for the moment.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My zippered cases have a large, full-size, dividing "page" covered with cloth/felt.

Ebay picture.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOBLE-BROWN-48-ROLLER-AND-FOUNTAIN-PENS-HOLDER-BINDER-CASE-PVC-ZIPPER-/400453152833?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d3cde3041

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I really like the Franklin-Christoph 40 pen cases. My pens are very secure in them and do not touch each other. I also have their 20 pen case, 3 pen case and 6 penvelope. All are excellent quality and I have been extremely happy with my purchases and their service. Check them out at http://www.franklin-christoph.com/zippered-20-or-40-case.html

• 11 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Hey all sorry to dig up the old thread. I'm looking for some pen storage options like these, but different. I see lots of shelves and crafts type things, but I'd like a good folio or folder that isn't too expensive. Any recommendations?