My First Japanese Fountain Pen

Tasmith

Purchased my first Japanese fountain pen yesterday, a Pilot Vanishing Point with a fine nib. Used it last night to take notes at the Washington Calligrapher's Guild meeting and I just loved writing with it. Will be in daily use from now on.

ETA: The ceramic figue is 19th century Japanese scholar Yoshida Shoin. Bought it during a trip to Hagi while stationed in Japan many years ago.

Edited by Tasmith

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tasmith

• linearM

• alexander_k

• discopig

Top Posters In This Topic

Great pen, especially for daily note-taking, and a nice colour. There are people who hate the clip but if it doesn't annoy you, there's little that can fail you in this pen. And with a fine nib, the limited ink capacity shouldn't be a problem.

It is a great pen for taking notes in meetings, a smooth writer (fine nib), a great choice. Congratulations on making a good pen decision.

Everyone should own a Vanishing Point. Fantastic pen in every way.

Congratulations. . .

Indeed. Everyone needs a Pilot Capless :)

It is a great and reliable pen for running around. It was what enticed me into this hobby. I am using one today, in fact. You may want to get another at some point.

Very nice photo!

I'm glad you found a nice vanishing point. The capless pens are great writers, and so very convenient for every day use.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Just got mine about two weeks ago, my first entry into "higher class" fountain pens, after a year or so of carrying a Lamy Safari as my daily use. The fine nib it came with was honestly kind of scratchy, and very dry, I think I must have just gotten one of the not-quite-perfectly-adjusted ones. Ordered another Fine from Mr. Binder the day after the VP arrived, and it arrived yesterday. WHAT a difference! Perfectly smooth, and just-right flow with Platinum Carbon Black. I do a lot of very small, all-block-caps writing for drawing annotation at work, so this is going to be an exceptionally good one there.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one smiling about these pens. And an added bonus for pretty much everyone who sees it going "woah... cool!" :)