Guider Fountain Pen

rkpai

Bought this from JK Pen stores in Abids, Hyderabad.

He had a bunch of fountain pens in a box. Many were missing sections, nibs.. among them were few pens which looked in good shape, this being one of them.

The nib was, at first, very scratchy. It felt like a shard of glass or sand being stuck between the nib tines.

I washed it throughly and that made it a little less scratchy. Then one day, when scribbling, I heard a crack and then... buttery smooth writing :)

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii616/rakshitpai/20140426_180156.jpg

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii616/rakshitpai/20140426_180321.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• Sudhir

• a_m

• rkpai

Top Posters In This Topic

What model Guider is this, please? And it looks like there's an Oliver nib fitted... in my experience those are usually nice and smooth. Yours must have had something, maybe a grain of sand, caught between the tines, and when you lost it, the nib returned to its normal smoothness...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

What model Guider is this, please? And it looks like there's an Oliver nib fitted... in my experience those are usually nice and smooth. Yours must have had something, maybe a grain of sand, caught between the tines, and when you lost it, the nib returned to its normal smoothness...

I don't know the model name. The nib is Guider, the light in the picture has partly obscured the name. Also there is a G inside a circle at the bottom of the nib.

Edited by rkpai

Thats a recent Guider with their trademark clip. Maybe Jai, who is an expert on Guider, will know.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

The middle one is a prototype available with ASA

The image was sent some days back.

Maybe it can be produced on demand / preorder.

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

Thanks for sharing.

This is interesting because I picked up this pen from my friendly neighbourhood pen guy in Mumbai. I have not seen another Guider pen with him or anybody else before and after I got this pen. I did not see it on the Guider site either, but it is advertised as a Guider Ebonite Large Fountain Pen on Kevin's FPR site http://www.fountainpenrevolution.com/guider.html

My pen has a Guider nib. I've used it a few times and it is an average writer.

BTW, I went in to JK Pens at Abids on my last visit to Hyderabad by accident - I was searching for the Deccan Pens store in Abids. I thought they had a fairly standard collection, but nothing special. Just my personal opinion and YMMV, of course.

Cheers

Sudhir

Fountain pen geek, bibliophile, aspiring audiophile.

Love Single Malt, Coffee, Beer.

Corporate slave by day.

Pursuing Inner Peace.

Slytherin, INTJ.

Follow me on Instagram @thepenperson

Follow me on Twitter @thepenperson

It is gracious of Hari to put it that way...but, I have been more of a Guider watcher than anything else...Guider used to have arrow clips and flat clips with GUIDER written on them top to bottom on their pens bought in 2008...you can see my first Guider pens with both the arrow clip and flat clip bought in 2008 here...these were standard issue clips...The earliest GUIDER JUMBO (2008) also had the arrow clip with GUIDER imprinted top to bottom...and the nibs always had GUIDER FINE INDIA and a G inside a circle imprinted on them...this was and continues to be the standard issue nib...then after a while Guider pens had this curved clip, and most recently GUIDER pens came out with pens with GUIDER written sideways, which is what the pen seen above pen has...the shape is slightly beaky as you can see; and the sideways guider clip also has a flat shape variant as you can see in these pictures of Guider Acrylic Raja FPs bought in the latter half of last year...The fairly recent Guider Acrylic Kid too has the flat clip with the sideways GUIDER...but the arrow clip with GUIDER imprinted top to bottom has not been abandoned...you can see them in the Guider Red Acrylic Jumbo; but the Guider White Acrylic Jumbo has a plain arrow clip with no name on it... Guider also had pens with the ball clip, but I don't have them ... and the most recent GUIDERs that I have are the Guider hooded nib FPs with metal cap and ebonite body...here too we have two types of clips -- an arrow clip with no brand name and the sword clip with GUIDER written top to bottom...I haven't yet recorded them in my blog...

I would say that Mr Lakshmana Rao of Guider Pens is a maverick pen maker, and a pen thinker...I have spoken to him over the phone and in person and he has a hundred different ideas at the same time...I always have this feeling that he wants to rush back to his workshop and create a new model...and sometimes strange creations emerge...or one-of-a-kind pen emerges...

Hope this helps in some way...

Regards,

Jai

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

Maybe Jai…Jai…just a thought. I am only a fountain pen user ….

If lakshman rao, Pratap (0f Gem), Subbu (od asa pens) and our own doctor of fountain pens, Hari got together, they can

create a world class fountain pen commanding hundreds of dollars.

like i said….just a thought

Maybe Jai…Jai…just a thought. I am only a fountain pen user ….

If lakshman rao, Pratap (0f Gem), Subbu (od asa pens) and our own doctor of fountain pens, Hari got together, they can

create a world class fountain pen commanding hundreds of dollars.

like i said….just a thought

I guess it should read "create a world class fountain pen but not costing hundred of dollars"

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

This is interesting because I picked up this pen from my friendly neighbourhood pen guy in Mumbai.

who might that be?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

who might that be?

A local roadside pen guy near Flora Fountain/CTO from who I've been buying (inexpensive) pens for the last 15 years or so. They are a father-son duo who keep some interesting pens at a good price. Some examples of what I've bought from them are Hero, Jinhao, Pilot Vortex, Platinum Plaisir, Old Sheaffers, Parkers, etc. The supply is erratic, so he calls me when he has something interesting. It is another matter if I am able to go across town, but I try to visit him, Apsara, and Manoj Pen mart whenever possible.

Cheers

Sudhir

Fountain pen geek, bibliophile, aspiring audiophile.

Love Single Malt, Coffee, Beer.

Corporate slave by day.

Pursuing Inner Peace.

Slytherin, INTJ.

Follow me on Instagram @thepenperson

Follow me on Twitter @thepenperson

A local roadside pen guy near Flora Fountain/CTO from who I've been buying (inexpensive) pens for the last 15 years or so. They are a father-son duo who keep some interesting pens at a good price. Some examples of what I've bought from them are Hero, Jinhao, Pilot Vortex, Platinum Plaisir, Old Sheaffers, Parkers, etc. The supply is erratic, so he calls me when he has something interesting. It is another matter if I am able to go across town, but I try to visit him, Apsara, and Manoj Pen mart whenever possible.

Cheers

Sudhir

Oh, Ok. Thanks! I think I might know the shop.

Edited by hari317

Cheers

Sudhir

A roadside pen guy - that is too cool!

@arts_nibs