Alternatives To Silicone Grease In Cc To Ed Conversions

Kella

I recently received a Pilot 78g from Goodpens here on the forums. I was thinking about converting it to an ED because it is my favorite for all my long writing sessions (Essays and minor research on wearable technology). The squeeze converter doesn't hold enough ink and refilling so often is kind of a pain.

I have seen older posts here on FPN and Badger and Blade about it and it seems all you need is a pen body with no holes,an o-ring and silicone grease. I have the first two but have looked at my local hardware stores and I can only find the silicone-based caulk which i know is advised against. Can you use something like a organic beeswax or Chapstick( a wax based lip balm)?

I am very new to these things so any advice offered would be appreciated. I look forward to some help and suggestions!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• JonSzanto

• KBeezie

• Kella

Beeswax is perfectly fine from the other comments I've gathered, and I can't see it doing any harm to a modern resin pen as long as there aren't additives in the wax. I think you'll want to heat it up just a bit to ensure it's able to fill the threads more easily.

If you're ever going to buy any ink from Goulet's, it's a good idea to spend a few dollars and pick up one of their containers of silicone grease. I find the silicone stuff more friendly to work with than beeswax a lot of the time.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Any dive shops near you? They should have it. Richards Pens, Goulet Pens, Main Street Pens, Pendemonium, among others, should all have it. No lip balms. Not a good idea. Bees wax? Hadn't thought of that.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

Plumbing section will have an overpriced tube or jar of the stuff you want.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Generally speaking you don't want to convert a pen that has both a threaded barrel and threaded cap into an eye dropper. Ideally you want threaded barrel, and snap/pull caps (like the pilot metro has... but not metal interior).

*some* would probably say pure petroleum jelly. However depending on the kind of plastics used in the pen, the petroleum jelly could in theory attack the material (some older plastics, rubbers, etc could certainly be attacked).

I personally have not found a problem with cheap modern plastics (such as in the 78G, Nemosine Singularity, some Serwex clear eye dropper pens, etc).

But since you're in the US, it's just as easy (and safer) to order some Silicone Gel from say GouletPens (along with maybe some other handy stuff to have like spare sample vials and what not). Otherwise you can either hit up a dive shop for some, or hit up places like Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, etc for "Pure Silicone Gel".

Edited by KBeezie

I'll check out Gouletpens. How much will I need and does it have to be reapplied often?

It's 2.50 for 1/8th of an Ounce Jar of, it, you only need enough to fill the threads on the section to keep it air tight.

http://www.gouletpens.com/Goulet_Silicone_Grease_p/gpc-siliconegrease.htm

One jar has lasted most people I know over a year or more. And you only need to re-apply it as needed (sometimes as long as ink has not crept up into the threads, the gel that's already on it is still good for re-filling).

At some point we should discuss the Apiezon greases.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

What are those(Apiezon)?

Hydrocarbons

Google Helps...

http://www.cmr-direct.com/en/cmr-apiezonn25g

For Cryogenic Heatsinking eh, and $162 a tube.

Apiezon N grease (25g) - for cryogenic heatsinking

• Used for both cryogenic vacuum seals and heatsinking samples and thermal contacts
  • Low level of magnetic susceptibility
  • Apiezon N has good heat transfer at low temperature: thermal conductivity at 1K is 0.001 W/(m.k)
  • Vapour pressure <10-9 mbar at 293K

I think I should probably mention, your pen is pretty much unusable at 1 Kelvin.

Edited by KBeezie

I was thinking more like M or H

W40 and W100 are also fun.

No Apiezon W40 and W100

Silicone grease not chalk. It will be in and around the plumbing fixture, piping and not around any chalk whatsoever. Small 1oz jar should last forever and costs about 2-3$

If you must go just totally nuts on the situation, Dow Corning High Vacuum Grease. About $20 a tube.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

If you must go just totally nuts on the situation, Dow Corning High Vacuum Grease. About $20 a tube.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I have the complete collection of Apiezon greases.