Noodler's Non-Flex Nibs On A Jinhao?

vossad01

I was just curious if anyone else has tried putting on of the $2 Noodler's non-flex nibs into a Jinhao pen? Any success? The only other record I found was also a failure in this Ink Nouveau comment, http://www.inknouveau.com/2014/01/noodlers-non-flex-6-nibs.html#comment-1212641063.

I tried on one of my X750s without success.it was a little harder to get to start into the section. Even once I go it in it was significantly off the feed. I did not do anything further to try to force or coerce it because I did not want to damage the nib.

Comparing it with the Jinhao afterwards, the metal is noticeably thicker on the Noodler's which is very likely why it did not want to slide in easily.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• vossad01

• knappinman

• disillusion

Then again, I just tried a nib from a different X750 and it also rested above the feed. Is there or has there been that much variation in the X750 model?

Regardless, I guess I do not have a spare nib for this X750 like I thought.

http://img.xlu.be/whywouldyoudothat.jpg

Hrm, Personally I'd much prefer to put a Goulet Nib into a Jinhao (But it's also $15, And Nemosine's nibs are around 6$ and you can get from Fine to 0.9 stub), I think the Noodler Nib is probably a step down from the Jinhao Medium (in my opinion anyways), so why go down unless you broke your original nib.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/intro/x750_ef.jpg

But there's really not much of a reason why Noodler's Wouldn't work if it's a #6 like the Goulet, Nemosine, and Monteverde.

Edited by KBeezie

PS: Yes there are *some* variation in the X750s, a lot of them are the same, but then every so often you run accross one that has a completely different nib/feed and section. A lot of them have a Circle with 3 straight edges on the bottom that the feed goes into, some have a perfectly round hole that the other feeds can't fit into.

I illustrated this when I got a bulk order of X750s: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/263968-interesting-in-my-6-pack-of-x750s-one-has-different-sectionfeednib/

As long as you have the correct feed to the correct section, you can for the most part use any #6 nibs.

http://img.xlu.be/whywouldyoudothat.jpg

In this particular case the Jinhao nib was the worst nib I have used in my collection. I just my first ever nib smoothing and it was better, but I wanted swap out the nib to something else for comparison using the same ink in the same pen to see how I did (especially since I started to think my remaining issues were now more to do with flow with rather than the nib). I had 2 nibs I though were backups if I screwed up and it turns out neither of them work on the pen; the Noodler's was the first I tried.

From what I have seen the Noodler's nib has decent reviews, would have been finer than the Jinhao, and has a really attractive price point.

I have a Noodler's Ahab flex nib and it doesn't really fit the Jinhao x750. The curvature is not right, so the nib is not touching the feed at the end. Presumably the curvature on the non-flex nib is the same so that would probably not fit as well.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Instagram

I will tell you, because of this thread, I did the exact opposite, I put my Jinhao 450 nib on my Ahab and holy (bleep) does it write good and wet with tons of ink storage. I'm now carrying my Ahab again, after I put it away because of feed issues and a scratchy nib. Thanks for the idea.

I put a Noodler's nib in my Kim Jumbo, which came equipped with a #5 IPG nib that was obviously too small for such a big pen. The Noodler's went in easily, although I did have to make sure it went in pretty deep in order to clear the inner cap. But it did, and it's been a much greater pleasure using that pen. As an additional bonus, I am seeing some slight line width variation when pressing down, although I'm not really trying to flex it... but the subtle variations are just right for me. I find myself reaching for that Jumbo much more often.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I will tell you, because of this thread, I did the exact opposite, I put my Jinhao 450 nib on my Ahab and holy (bleep) does it write good and wet with tons of ink storage. I'm now carrying my Ahab again, after I put it away because of feed issues and a scratchy nib. Thanks for the idea.

It makes sense though. With the flex nibs the feeds need to be wet enough to deliver enough flow to avoid railroading and such. So sticking a nib from a typically dryer pen onto that is going to be a wet-kind of smooth :P

I wonder how a Goulet or Monteverde nib would be on an Ahab or Konrad...

Edited by KBeezie

Any chance you can get a picture of the X750's section and feed shape?

Yes, though I am not equipped to take nice pictures like yours. Both have the number 4 in the circle.

14010391611_a48dbe960c_n.jpg14033597813_56cd0b11af_n.jpg

14033592123_4740852438_n.jpg14013588325_b53ae0770e_n.jpg

Yes, though I am not equipped to take nice pictures like yours. Both have the number 4 in the circle.

14010391611_a48dbe960c_n.jpg14033597813_56cd0b11af_n.jpg

14033592123_4740852438_n.jpg14013588325_b53ae0770e_n.jpg

I've found that the #s on the bottom of the feeds don't seem to really indicate anything (probably just whatever batch or series is made).

The two certainly seem to be very similar to each other, with an ever so-subtle size difference. Just glancing at it doesn't seem like there would be any difference between them.

The two certainly seem to be very similar to each other, with an ever so-subtle size difference. Just glancing at it doesn't seem like there would be any difference between them.

I agree just on visual inspection you would think they are the same, but think I have tried all the combinations of section/feed/nib and the feed seems to be the primary factor for the nibs not sitting right. Guess I should just be glad I have a nib that does work on it.

Glad my post was able to help, I am happy to see an old pen revitalized.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried Goulet nibs and Noodler's nibs on my Jinhaos. The Goulet nibs definitely improved the pens, though the feeds didn't keep up well with the 1.5mm stub. The Noodler's nibs work great on the Noodler's pens. Neither the flex nor the non flex seem to work at all on the Jinhao pens.

Looking at the nibs, I do notice a slightly different shape. I think the Noodler's nibs just don't touch the feed on the Jinhao. On the other hand, the Noodler's nibs fit better into Noodler's pens than the Goulet nibs. They don't go in as deeply and they don't require heat-setting.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I tried Goulet nibs and Noodler's nibs on my Jinhaos. The Goulet nibs definitely improved the pens, though the feeds didn't keep up well with the 1.5mm stub. The Noodler's nibs work great on the Noodler's pens. Neither the flex nor the non flex seem to work at all on the Jinhao pens.

Looking at the nibs, I do notice a slightly different shape. I think the Noodler's nibs just don't touch the feed on the Jinhao. On the other hand, the Noodler's nibs fit better into Noodler's pens than the Goulet nibs. They don't go in as deeply and they don't require heat-setting.

Oddly I've had the opposite effect. The feed in my X750, X450 and 159 (all of them identical that I can see) as well as the Nemosine Singularity which was running very dry with the 0.7 it came with, all work very well with the Gouet 1.5 I have. Though I've noticed that *some* of the Jinhao pens have a slightly different more grey feed than the rest of the more common black feeds. (It also helps to clean the feed on the Jinhao pens with some dish soap, that seemed to be a problem at first for me).

• 3 years later...

Sorry for reviving such an old topic, but I recently had the same idea as the original poster. In my case, I thought I wanted to try the untipped Noodler's calligraphy nib on my Jinhao X750, since I prefer italics to tipped nibs. I ordered the nib before I found this thread. When it arrived in the mail, it turned out they had sent me a fine non flex nib instead of the untipped nib. Since the nibs are so cheap, I decided, instead of returning it, to try grinding it myself. I kinda messed up at first, but I kept grinding and I ended up with an untipped stub-looking nib, that looked to be about a 1.5

I tried fitting it in my X750, but as a previous poster said, it turns out that the Noodler's nib is made of thicker metal and would not fit properly: it would not go all the way in and nib and feed were squeezed together at the base and gaping apart at the tip. I then tried fitting it in my X450, and it fit! It went all the way in and the feed and nib only had a very small gap at the tip. The monochrome Noodler's nib did not look all that nice in the X450 though, and I set out to investigate the difference. I tried swapping feeds and nibs between the X750 and X450 and I concluded that the feed of my X450 (marked with a 2), although it looks identical to the feed of my X750 (marked 3), is actually a bit narrower, leaving a bit more space for the thicker Noodler's nib. On the other hand, the section inner diameter was identical on both pens. So I fit my X450 feed and the Noddler's nib on my X750. It took some force to push them all the way in the proper position (making it very hard to actually remove them again), but they went in and fitted tolerably with each other. There was a very small gap between nib and feed at the tip, about 0.1 or 0.2 mm. The pen wrote a bit dry, so I decided to try heat setting the feed to the nib. Plastic feeds apparently can be heat set, but it is a lot more difficult than for ebonite feeds. The first couple of tries I did not accomplish much... but the third time, I tried pushing the tip of the feed towards the nib, while I had them submerged in boiling water, and held them there for 30 seconds... and voila, a perfect fit! Ink flow improved a bit, but not dramatically, though. The pen puts down a line thinner than the nib, closer to what I would expect from a 1.1 italic, but I think that this is in part due to the more rounded "stubby" shape I have given the nib to make it smooth, and only partly to the dryness. Still, it has GREAT line variation, with the "thins" being very thin, as the nib tip is not thickened, like on manufactured italics (it actually took some doing to smooth it out enough not to cut the paper like a knife).

So here is the pen and a writing sample:

Ink: Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black Paper: Fabriano MultiPaper

Edited by sapient