Noodler's Black Swan In English Roses

yogalarva

Just posted this review on my blog - figured someone here might want to read it too. :-)

I guess I’ve been on a bit of a Noodler’s kick lately, but I feel like I’m not really doing it right if I don’t at least try some of the classic Noodler’s inks. Thus, here for your enjoyment today is Black Swan in English Roses, also known as BSiER:

fpn_1398219233__noodlers_bsier.jpeg

And, because my handwriting is a bit tough to read on this one, here is what I wrote:

This ink is very interesting. Goes down a deep red, but dries to more of a rusty brown. Makes me think of writing with a pen full of blood (sorry if that’s too morbid)…

No noticeable feathering or bleeding, though there is show-through because it is a bit on the thin side.

This ink does have some shading, though I’m not sure that I’m seeing the “black swan” effect. Still, a very nice color and it seems dark enough to use in a professional setting while still having a touch of color.

This ink claims to be at least partially bullet proof, so I will have to test the water resistance, but barring that and no cleaning problems, this would definitely be and ink I would recommend if you like the color. :-)

fpn_1398219247__noodlers_bsier_up_close.

This was a fun ink. My first one in the Vac 700 and I went through almost the full fill before I got bored and emptied it out. One bummer was that it practically looked black in the barrel, and I like to use inks that look fancy in demonstrators. But it cleaned out easily and had a good amount of water resistance, so I would say it was a very “user friendly” ink.

fpn_1398219255__noodlers_bsier_water.jpe

Overall, I would recommend this ink if you like the color and want something with a bit of water resistance and otherwise good behavior. It wasn’t exactly a life changing ink, but I could see it being very nice if you are using it in a flex pen, which, alas, I do not have yet.

This ink was purchased with my own money and I am in no way being compensated for this review. All opinions expressed above are my own and you are free to disagree with them if you like.

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yogalarva

• playtime

• Inkydinkydog

• Sadieprater

Top Posters In This Topic

This ink is one of my favorites and the first full bottle I purchased. Very well behaved ink with lovely shading. Thanks for the review!

Thank you for the review - an interesting ink.......

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"No one needs to rotate a pen while using an oblique, in fact, that's against the whole concept of an oblique, which is to give you shading without any special effort."Professor Propas, 24 December 2010

"IMHO, the only advantage of the 149 is increased girth if needed, increased gold if wanted and increased prestige if perceived. I have three, but hardly ever use them. After all, they hold the same amount of ink as a 146."FredRydr, 12 March 2015

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson

Thanks! I find that your experience of colour change here upon drying is right on. Also, I find your handwriting so good that you didn't have to type anything over again....

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

A very nice review but I can't decide if I like this colour or not. I know I do in theory but the colour on the page is not what I was expecting.

"The cultured man is the man whose interior consciousness is forever obstinately writing down, in the immaterial diary of his psyche's sense of life, every chance aspect of every new day that he is lucky enough to live to behold!" - John Cowper Powys

I've been wondering about this ink, as I have yet to try it myself. Thanks for the great review!

Wonderful ink. I love both this on and it's Australian counterpart. Nice review!

Thanks! I find that your experience of colour change here upon drying is right on. Also, I find your handwriting so good that you didn't have to type anything over again....

Mike

Aww, thanks! :-) I get very insecure about my handwriting sometimes, and I suppose I'm on a perpetual quest to improve it...

A very nice review but I can't decide if I like this colour or not. I know I do in theory but the colour on the page is not what I was expecting.

That's kind of how I felt! It's a very strange color, not bad, but not what I expected.

Wonderful ink. I love both this on and it's Australian counterpart. Nice review!

I definitely need to try BSiAR, but Goulet was out of stock when I last ordered samples, so I'll have to snag it on my next order.

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

I felt the same way. I love BSiAR, but this is maybe a little disappointing. When I think of "roses" I don't think "brown"....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I felt the same way. I love BSiAR, but this is maybe a little disappointing. When I think of "roses" I don't think "brown"....

My BSiER is much more red on drying, not brown at all. It's not a bright red like Sheaffer Slovenian Red, nor quite the arterial colour of Montblanc Alfred Hitchcock Red, but it's most definitely carrying more red colour than these examples. I'm using it in a Pelikan M250 burgundy pen right now, so I have a ready comparison, including some well-dried samples.

Puzzling.

John P.

I bought a sample of this ink and the Australian Roses version at the same time. I ran them through my test pen (Estie J-Series Transitional with 9668 nib) and they are both wonderful colors. I think I like the Australian Roses version just a bit better than the English version -- there's something about the final color that I like just a bit better. If you like this color, then give yourself a treat and try the Australian version too.

Man I love playing with fountain pens and their inks! :) Thanks so much for the review and your script is far better than my scratching. :bunny01: