Your Very First Pen?

PolishSoldier

My first pens were Chinese Youth and Rainbow, both P21/51 copies. Youth was sleeker and smaller, Rainbow was about the same size as P21. This was in 1970s (school days).

My first 'Branded' pen was a Sheaffer 440, 1980, my first year in med school. Still have it, although not quite the same as the nib section has been changed due to damage over the years, converter has been changed several times, so only the barrel and cap are original now.

My oldest is the P51 gifted to my father on his marriage (1957) by my grandfather, navy grey, gold filled cap, gold nib M. The section cracked and replacement is in the post as I write this. All else is as it was.

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PolishSoldier

• ReverendPen

• flyingfox

• alarickc

My first fountain pen was a green Parker 45 with 14K X nib when I was about 13.

I still own it and keep it useable. But so long since I inked it last.

My first fountain pen purchase was a Montblanc Carrera 522P.

It was my every day writer throughout my high school days.

Black cap became gray and I re-painted it twice.

Also I still own it and replaced the barrel with piston-filling mechanism parts bought from Speerbob.

My first FP was a Charcoal M Lamy Safari my dad bought me in Grade 8 (3 1/2 years ago) for winning the school spelling bee. After daily use since then, I lost it last Tuesday at school which really sucks. I wish I could've kept my first pen for as long as some of you guys. But now I'm currently waiting for a new Pilot Metropolitan in the post!

My first pen was a Scheaffer Cartridge pen with a transparent barre back in 1987l. It got stolen by a classmate. The next one was a Pelikan P10 which I still have and use.

Also a Waterman Phileas on close out sale from Levenger. Still have it - good looking , writes with any kind of ink , nice weight and length.

Edited by PorterPie

First year of high school (1964), a blue Sheaffer school pen, like ac12's with flattened-conical ends, peacock blue cartridge ink. Somehow lost/replaced with an Esterbrook equivalent, then with a Sheaffer Targa around 1980. Then about a year ago I started actively acquiring pens.

I was a slow starter?

My very first fountain pen was a cheap Parker Vector, bought some six (or so) years ago. The pen that REALLY got me into the hobby was a Parker '51'. Admittedly, I paid way too much for it, but hey, at least now I know better.

My first nice fountain pen (after using the low end Sheaffers and a couple of Parkers) was the Pelikan m200. There was also the Rotring 600. Escalated into the dozens after that...

<p><span style="font-size:18px;">"And the final score is No TARDIS, no screwdriver, two minutes to spare. Who da Man!?! (long silence) I am never saying that again. Fine."- The Doctor </span>

First nice pen Aurora style BP given to me as a gift. I then found my Grandpa's P51 which I liked but wanted the classic FP look (no nib hood) I wanted to see the nib. So I got a matching Aurora style FP AND I was off to the races... Antique stores, flea markets and found the local brick and mortar store and some nice online stores as well.

First nice pen Aurora style BP given to me as a gift. I then found my Grandpa's P51 which I liked but wanted the classic FP look (no nib hood) I wanted to see the nib. So I got a matching Aurora style FP AND I was off to the races... Antique stores, flea markets and found the local brick and mortar store and some nice online stores as well.

My first fountain pen is a Pelikan 400NN that I bought about three years ago. But the first pen that I *liked* was a mechanical Pilot H-1010 "The Shaker" pencil that I got from my dad in fourth grade and I used it all the way through high school. Pencil is what was used, in class and on tests. You could use a ballpoint, or a fountain pen for that matter, but pencil was the norm...and I can't remember ever seeing a fountain pen being used until I saw a blogger write about his new fountain pen and I got interested...

My first REAL pen was a Sheaffer PFM when i graduated from College -- 56 years ago -- I still have it -- it is the the star of my collection -- I still use it and it is an excellent writer

I started out with a pack of Pilot Varsity fountain pens I bought at my college book store back in 2006. For the next two years I used Pilot Varsity pens until I bought a Waterman Phileas. Eventually I jumped on the Pelikan bandwagon and the vintage bandwagon, and now I'm in the Asian bandwagon.

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

My first was an Inoxcrom set: FP and BP, I bought while on a missions trip to Ukraine in 2000. I didn't use it much over the years, but it was when I went looking for cartridges and found bottled ink and converters a year ago that my interest took off.

Now I have many pens and colors of ink, but there are more on the wish list.

Edited by byggyns

"Over the Mountain

Of the Moon

Down the Valley of the Shadow

Ride, boldly ride,"

The shade replied,

"If you seek for Eldorado." - E. A. Poe

Waterman Expert back in the late '90s.

Love that pen - don't write with it nearly enough.

It was actually the subject of my first blog post

http://pentulant.blogspot.com/2012/08/visiting-with-old-friend-waterman.html

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

Mine was a Lamy Safari just about a month ago. It seems like that one is a gateway pen -- I'm embracing the addiction and looking forward to getting more. :)

• 1 year later...

My first pen was a clear Sheaffer student cartridge pen. We used these all through grade school in the late '50s-early '60s. Everyone used blue ink, except for this one girl in our class who liked the turquoise ink. She had the unfortunate habit of taking the cartridge out of her pen and sucking on it--she went all the way through seventh grade with turquoise lips and tongue. I remember her when I see turquoise ink and wonder whatever happened to her.

My first good pen was a maroon Sheaffer PFM I, which I was given when I was in seventh grade, and which somehow got lost. When I graduated from high school in '67, I was given a sterling Parker 75, which was my first fine pen. Later that year, I bought a new Montblanc 149 for $75, and there's been no looking back.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

My very first fountain pen was a 15 dollar pen from xpens.com

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain