Your Very First Pen?

PolishSoldier

Not sure if this topic was here before. Search mode didn't came out with this.

So what was your very first pen? My first was Hero, I was abt 12 (I dont remember exactly) as far sa I remember it wasn't good writing instrument. Abt 3 years later I bought myself a Parker, I dont have it any longer & I dont remember whitch model it was (some cheaper one it cost 12-15$).

My first more serious one was Waterman Maestro, it was a gift from my grandparents for my 18th birthday. I still have it, it didnt write but I keep it for sentimental reasons.

Very similar story to you! Dad gave me his Hero 100 when I was about 11, he bought it before I was born so it was probably one of the ones made with Parker Equipment, it worked its ass off right up till my university entrance exams. The day before my last exam I dropped it and lost a chunk of iridium :'(. Lived with ballpoints for about 6 months after that, but couldn't stand it so I bought myself a Lamy Safari...and then I discovered FPN..

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PolishSoldier

• ReverendPen

• jmccarty3

• FountainPages

As the original post didn't specify what kind of pen, my first "good" pen was a Paper Mate ball point and pencil set I received from my sister for being in her wedding in 1968. A high school classmate borrowed the pen in 1972 and I never saw it again. That was 42 years ago and I STILL can't get over it. I never loaned out another pen ...EVER!

My first fountain pen was a burgundy Parker 45 set I bought at the college book store in the Fall of 1972. I was able to take copious amounts of notes with ease. Using that pen made me stand out from the rest of the students. The professors hadn't seen anyone use a fountain pen in several years. Loved that pen. I still have it.

The world needs more snobs. They inspire excellence.

Mine was a charcoal Lamy Safari with a F nib. It wrote wonderfully, but tended to dry out when the converter was only about half empty.

First nice pen?

That would be my Waterman Phileas. Of course, this was back in the day when they weren't $200 a pen. I think I got mine for well under $100. Still have it to this day. Uninked as of right now, but I will probably put some Heart Of Darkness in it within the next day or two as this is reminding me of just how much I like that pen.

My first fp was A Phileas too. I'm pretty sure mine was south of $40. Fountain pens weren't on my radar screen before I bought it. I was just looking for a nicer pen than the throw-aways I had always used. I was intrigued by the Phileas, and I when I got it I was hooked. Only wish I had discovered them before finishing college and grad school!

My first good pen when I was in the 7th-8th grade [1974-75] was the Parker Jotter. If you had a Jotter you were cool.

All other pen brands were 2nd. Maybe living 20 miles from Janesville WI had something to do with that?

That is why about 4-5 yrs ago I was looking for a Jotter to write with at work and now I am a Jotteraddict.....

and all other Parker pen models,display cases & ephemera I can get my grubby little hands on....

I am the keeper of the pen..

Ken

When I went to high school, my grandma gave me a Sheaffer, in 1991. I don't know anymore which model it was; I only know it was completely steel, with silver trim, a steel silverplated F nib, and a black section. It had a snap-on cap, and a clip that was "hooked into" the cap. It went back twice, maybe thrice, to have this clip repaired.

I still had it when I went to university in the late 90's/early 2000's but during at some point, it rolled off one of the slanted flip-up desks in one of the classrooms. That particular room had a wooden floor, and the pen stuck into it like a dart, wobbling from side to side, twisting the nib in gruesome fashion. Thinking (and being told) that this was unrepairable, or at least uneconomical to repair, I eventually discarded the pen.

Edited by FloatingFountain

A nice basic black Elysee with gold furnishings and a very smooth nib as part of a premium with the DayTimer system back in 1985. It is temporarily retired, now, because after two decades of hard use the cap no longer stays put when capped. The rest of the pen is still in great shape. I need to find a restorer who can fix that.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

My first fountain pen was a Montblanc 147 bought for me by my wife. That was about a decade ago. I have added 35+ pens since, but I still use the 147. In fact it is currently inked and writing very well.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

Lamy Safari that I subsequently lost. Replaced with a Lamy Safari, and I happened to buy a Lamy 2000 at the same time. The rest is history.

Buzz

First fountain pen to ever write with? Pilot Varsity trio of blue, black and purple from Amazon.

But I consider my first real fountain pen was the Cross Aventura because that was the pen that made writing enjoyable. =)

Thanks,

Franz

Very first fountain pen that I used was my Mom's Montblanc.

First fountain pen that I owned was a cheapie cartridge pen that I cannot remember the manufacturer... It was white, with accents in mint-green. I got it when I was in HS, circa 1991. That's when I got into penpalling, saw all my European penpals writing with fountain pens, and thought it was infinitely cool. I used it for a couple of years, but the cartridges were so expensive then... I stopped using it, and lost it.

First "real" fountain that I got was a Lamy Safari, in 2002. It was the only pen until Nov. 2012, when I accidentally found this site... Now... I own more pens and ink than I have ever even imagined possible!

It was some sort of metallic fountain pen that my father had kept for a while, he didn't use it much but I was fascinated by it.

I was also very young, around three to five years old. Needless to say I destroyed it.

My father likes to remind me of this story from time to time, I think that he really loved that pen.

First "real" fountain that I got was a Lamy Safari, in 2002. It was the only pen until Nov. 2012, when I accidentally found this site... Now... I own more pens and ink than I have ever even imagined possible!

So You saying that FPN could have this kind effect on ppl? :) :yikes:

I'm pretty sure I used a Parker 21 years ago, I distinctively remember writing a few pages of a short story with it, but the first fountain pen I actually bought was a Lamy Safari.

Edited by discopig

So You saying that FPN could have this kind effect on ppl? :) :yikes:

YES! Seeing all the great pens and ink out there... creates desire... :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

Sheaffer No-nonsense, mandated by my primary school for learning handwriting, when I was 8. Family tradition was that, once my Grandma decided our writing passed muster, she bought us a Waterman. I still have that one.

My very first fountain pen was given to me for a HS graduation present. It was a sheaffer 'stylist' sort of like an imperial, a flighter made of brushed aluminum. I remember getting it and thinking. oh that's nice, tossing it in a drawer and not thinking about it for a year. Fast forward a year and I'm playing chess with my best friend who I thought was just about the coolest guy around. He played chess, drank coffee, wore raggedy sweaters, smoked AND used a fountain pen. Well I could at least use a fountain pen so I got mine out and have used one ever since. YEARS later I broke the section on it and sent it off for repairs. The repairs cost far more than the original pen cost but I was happy to have it back and be able to use it.

cheers

skyppere

My very first fountain pen was given to me for a HS graduation present. It was a sheaffer 'stylist' sort of like an imperial, a flighter made of brushed aluminum. I remember getting it and thinking. oh that's nice, tossing it in a drawer and not thinking about it for a year. Fast forward a year and I'm playing chess with my best friend who I thought was just about the coolest guy around. He played chess, drank coffee, wore raggedy sweaters, smoked AND used a fountain pen. Well I could at least use a fountain pen so I got mine out and have used one ever since. YEARS later I broke the section on it and sent it off for repairs. The repairs cost far more than the original pen cost but I was happy to have it back and be able to use it.

cheers

skyppere

That quite a story.

Off Top. Do You know what was Your favourite author Joseph Conrad real name?