My Blacks - You Know I Love Them!

The Good Captain

I have often commented about black inks in general but though it was time for a little comparison of the ones I actually own. Also, I've started using the Pelikan 4001 again and still quite enjoy it, I'm ashamed to say.

However, the recent post on here about Aurora v Pelikan made me try the Aurora one out and I'm impressed. Along with the Aurora Blue, their Black is great in my Moleskines - I use F or EF/XF nibs generally - and they both make a nice change from my customary use of 'The Master' - Pelikan 4001 Blue Black.

So here are my inks.

fpn_1398162147__aurora_black.jpg

fpn_1398162164__pelikan_4001_black.jpg

fpn_1398162188__diamine_onyx_black.jpg

fpn_1398162203__sheaffer_skrip_black.jpg

fpn_1398162560__namiki_black.jpg

fpn_1398162284__waterman_black.jpg

fpn_1398162296__parker_quink_black.jpg

All written on my usual Rhodia 80gsm pad using Lamy Safari pens, dipped, amd M nibs.

The following soak tests are on the usual pads of (probably) 80 or 90gsm paper but the quality isn't very good. The 'wet' ones were soaked for 30 minutes or so and then given a final rinse before drying.

fpn_1398162779__my_blacks_0001_fpn.jpg

fpn_1398162808__my_blacks_0002_fpn.jpg

I'm impressed with the Aurora and always knew that the Pelikan was going to be OK. Skrip has a good outcome too and the Namiki is pretty well-known for this quality. Lastly no real surprises from the Waterman and Parker.

I shall await any comments with interest!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Good Captain

• lapis

• New_Falcon

• carlos.q

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep that's waterman black alright :P

I love Noodler's Black Eel, it's not the blackest thing out there, but it's worked rather well in everything, but I do like the intensity and how well behaved Waterman Intense Black is, but it's not exactly water-proof (bleeds with a yellow halo around it after it dries from being wet, where as Black Eel, ain't going anywhere).

I've only been trying Pilot black so far via a cartridge that came with my Pilot Metropolitan, I kind of like it, it's dark, and seems to dry quickly, but not sure bout it's water-proofness.

Wonderful Comparison and a visual treat. My favorite blacks have been Pelikan 4001, Skrip, and Sailor Gentle. I have been hearing so much about Aurora that I am tempted to give it a try!

Even though I have most of those inks, I appreciate the comparison because I don't have Diamine Onyx Black...and probably won't if it feathers on Rhodia and isn't water resistant.

Thanks for the great comparison. Still, I prefer Sailor's Kiwa-Guro and/or their Jentle Black. Are you starting to get into this non-colour?

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Oh my! I never thought you would admit to owning black ink, let alone comparing more than one. I clutch my breast and stagger! I did notice that you neatly avoided telling us which one was the blackest of your collection (looks like Aurora). Thanks for the comparison. I really love Waterman black, it has great character and washes out of pens with ease.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Oh my! I never thought you would admit to owning black ink, let alone comparing more than one. I clutch my breast and stagger! I did notice that you neatly avoided telling us which one was the blackest of your collection (looks like Aurora). Thanks for the comparison. I really love Waterman black, it has great character and washes out of pens with ease.

Thank you so much for your kind comments and I hope you haven't been staggering to much!

The Good Captain

Thanks for the great comparison. Still, I prefer Sailor's Kiwa-Guro and/or their Jentle Black. Are you starting to get into this non-colour?

I haven't the Jentle one and the 4001 was one of the few inks that behaved on the paper in my one-and-only CIAK journal. However, as I mentioned, the Aurora Black and Blue are good in my Moleskines. I might try a mix soon.

I wouldn't say I was getting into the non-colour but I do feel a little bit of tolerance creeping into Limoges Villas at the moment...

The Good Captain

The Good Captain - I think that your comments have got to me and I have gone the other way. Having only one black (Noodlers Black) and now looking into the world of Blue Blacks.

I've heard a lot of good things about Aurora black and if I ever get round to finishing my Noodlers Black bottle I might give that a go. Namiki Black also looks good and I think that there bottle comes with that nice plastic funnel.

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

The Good Captain - I think that your comments have got to me and I have gone the other way. Having only one black (Noodlers Black) and now looking into the world of Blue Blacks.

I've heard a lot of good things about Aurora black and if I ever get round to finishing my Noodlers Black bottle I might give that a go. Namiki Black also looks good and I think that there bottle comes with that nice plastic funnel.

For whatever reason, I still always end up going back to 4001 Blue-Black, but of course there are a shed-load of other inks out there just waiting to be tried. A lot depends on what is available to those who are all over the globe and some aren't able to get some brands.

It's all part of the fun of pens!

The Good Captain

For whatever reason, I still always end up going back to 4001 Blue-Black, but of course there are a shed-load of other inks out there just waiting to be tried. A lot depends on what is available to those who are all over the globe and some aren't able to get some brands.

It's all part of the fun of pens!

IYAM, it's the other way around. Pens are part of the fun of inks. I don't need all of the pens, but I do need all of the inks. How are they (the inks) otherwise to be checked out? (I'm not all that hot about swabs because they don't need to be cleaned.)

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)