A Tremendous Loss...all Five Of My Favorite Pens!

jaelkthompson

A mere week after the Atlanta Pen Show and tragedy has struck! Yesterday, somewhere between Sunday service, the grocery store, and home, my pen case disappeared. The case contained ALL FIVE of my favorite pens and, despite hours of frantic searching and hoping, the case is nowhere to be found.

The most ironic thing is that only two days before, I photographed my EDC haul and admired my love of stainless, chrome, and matte black, toying with the idea of one day submitting a photo to be featured in Edjelley’s Weekly Loadout. Then, as I gazed lovingly at my collection, my inner voice of sensibility remarked, “It’s probably not a good idea for you to carry ALL of these pen with you. You can only write with one pen at a time anyway. What’s the purpose of walking around with $150 worth for fountain pens in your purse?!” And with that realization, I resolved to retire, at the very least, my Pilot TOW (with its Mike Masuyama tweaked nib) to my writing desk where I normally enjoy using it most. Nevertheless, in the immortal words of Alice (Wonderland), “I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.”

After a day of mourning, I have finally reached the final stage of grieving, acceptance, and I realize that while this is a somewhat costly lesson, it is most certainly a lesson learned. Now begins the gradual process of replacing what was lost.

Of all of the pens, the one that I am most grieved about losing is the Pilot TOW, even though it wasn’t the pen that I used the most. I purchased this pen from speerbob a few months ago, and he gave me a ridiculously awesome deal on it because there was an issue with leaking around the grip section. It is going to cost me more to replace the pen from his current new-old stock than it what I originally paid plus the work that Masuyama did to get the nib to write as smoothly as I like. It was a pen that I’d been drooling over for a while, but once I received it, I was disappointed at how it wrote. Then, once Mike tweaked it, I fell in love all over again! *Sigh*

I should probably be more distraught about the TWSBI Mini or the Esterbrook Dollar Pen H (a recent purchase) since these are the most expensive of what was lost, and even more so since the TWSBI is truly the pen that I use everyday. And the Metropolion was my first fountain pen, well-loved, well-used. However, for whatever reason, the TOW had the most sentimental value.

At any rate, ‘tis gone, ‘tis gone, and life must move on. So please join me in bidding farewell to my favorite pens: a TWSBI Mini Classic EF-nib, a Pilot Metropolitan Black Zig Zag, an Esterbrook Dollar Pen H, a Retro 51 Tornado Stealth and, finally...my beloved Pilot TOW with a “Masuyama-ed” F-nib. I hope that whoever finds this gorgeous stash of writing instruments wields them with love and care.

post-109770-0-36247400-1398134696_thumb.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jaelkthompson

• penrivers

• FayeV

• David_W

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dang. Been there done that. Once I had a backpack stolen that had almost all my valuable worldly possessions in it. That's the downside of containers. So sorry about your bad luck.

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

That is horrible. I hope they do turn up.

When I carry pens outside (especially my vintage or more expensive pens), they never ever leave my pants pockets and my sight.

Edited by discopig

OP, sorry for your loss. Please PM me with your address, if you would like an Esterbrook to put together. If you send me a writing sample, I'll pick out a nib for you too.

(Edit: Mods, this is a PIF offer, not a backchannel sale.)

Edited by whitedot

I am sorry for your loss. When traveling, I do have a fear of losing my precious pens especially if I am carrying more than one. The funny thing is that if someone finds a lost fountain pen, I doubt he or she will realize its value….

I'm so sorry, I don't think people will understand unless they collect pens as well but I usually will not carry more than 1 or 2 pens at a time. Now maybe you can try other pens you've been having an eye on. Try the platinum 3776

OP, sorry for your loss. Please PM me with your address, if you would like an Esterbrook to put together. If you send me a writing sample, I'll pick out a nib for you too.

(Edit: Mods, this is a PIF offer, not a backchannel sale.)

Awwww. Thank you so much for the offer, though I am not going to take advantage of it. I have an Esterbrook SJ (Copper) that was fortunate to not be with it's Dollar Pen H companion that was lost. It will definitely suffice in the meantime. Nevertheless, thank you again for your thoughts and for the offer!!! Much appreciated!

My sympathies - that truly sucks.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

Been there too. So sorry for the loss of your pens. Here's hoping they do show up.

Very sorry to hear this news. I do hope they will eventually show up.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

So sorry. Hopefully, someone will turn them in to a lost and found.

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

You must to do an excersise in memory and thinking again, I think they are lost and waiting for you. The crude reality is that nobady steals fountain pens anymore, perhaps they found them and scratch their heads in awe thinkin what are this strange things, but thats all.

Very sad story, but the bright side is that you can get them again with a great backing story.

Imagine if you had Deltas, MB, Nakayas in that case, uochhh.

JF

Very sad story, but the bright side is that you can get them again with a great backing story.

Imagine if you had Deltas, MB, Nakayas in that case, uochhh.

JF

Yea, and btw I dont find them extremely expensives or dificult to substitute.

Yea, and btw I dont find them extremely expensives or dificult to substitute.

They may not be expensive to replace money wise, but the sentimental value they contain is priceless!

Sorry for your loss and hopefully they'll show up soon!

--Hikari