TassoBarbasso

While you might not like the pens, if you stopped and looked at the workmanship and craftsmanship you would likely agree that it is superb.

Not all tastes are the same. Bubba Watson was wearing a watch at the masters that I would not wear even if it were free and I was at a convention of blind folk but it sells for a very high sum. I will acknowledge that the technology of the watch is amazing but it is still butt ugly.

Few companies do better engraving and casting in precious metals with greater detail than Montegrappa and while you might not like some of their efforts it is hard to deny the quality.

This goes without saying, but we were discussing primarily about the advertising. A company that makes such stuff should at least make good ads for it.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• TassoBarbasso

• inkstainedruth

• MisterBoll

No, it is not a joke. Look at the history of Art, of which Italia and the antecedents of it produced. There can be a point at which many individuals will say, this is enough decoration, no more, but others will continue on. If one looks even recently in architecture, think about the Victorian Period, which lead in reaction to the Arts & Crafts Period. So, maybe in time, in reaction to this level of excess, some truely beautiful, naturalistic Pens will be produced.

Weed is not what these people are smoking. Take your pick of any household chemical and you might get this pen as a result...

Perhaps the "Grappa" part of their name is the clue? :D

Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

Today is a gift.

That's why it's called the present

This goes without saying, but we were discussing primarily about the advertising. A company that makes such stuff should at least make good ads for it.

I thought the ad was pretty good, certainly better than any lite beer, vodka or tequila ad out there.

My Website

Could be worse, they could come out with a paranormal line, and introduce something like "The Big Foot"

Love the Sasquatch Pen!

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

I've got Chaos, Mayan Calendar and Alchemist from the new Montegrappa LE line and I appreciate their workmanship and design. But this one is certainly not my taste. It's far more ugly than I had expected. When I got the Montegrappa newsletter I thought "wow, this one must be made with MOP and enamel like Aphrodite and Tertio Millenio Adveniente", but after I checked the gallery I was like "Ehww". Of course the lost wax skill and enameling for this pen is pretty god. But the whole design of the pen is just too bad. Maybe they tried to mix Chaos and Luxor Nile but messed up.

I'm quite surprised at the harsh critique the aesthetics of this pen have been subjected to. I agree it's quite ostentatious in its looks, maybe not a pen for doing the crossword with, but honestly I quite like it. It's bold and different, the details look intricate and I like the colours. I also enjoyed the video, but then I like Manga comics and animation. As an exercise in advertising, it seemed to do its job as we are all talking about it.

Of course I imagine it will be priced in the 'if you have to ask...' bracket, but that's another subject entirely.

The pen looks, um, not great but I am strangely drawn to the watch. Must be my misspent youth playing far too much Final Fantasy on the PSOne...

I'm quite surprised at the harsh critique the aesthetics of this pen have been subjected to. I agree it's quite ostentatious in its looks, maybe not a pen for doing the crossword with, but honestly I quite like it. It's bold and different, the details look intricate and I like the colours. I also enjoyed the video, but then I like Manga comics and animation. As an exercise in advertising, it seemed to do its job as we are all talking about it.

Of course I imagine it will be priced in the 'if you have to ask...' bracket, but that's another subject entirely.

The problem with the videos is how completely and embarassingly off-target they are. If this was an ad for a pair of sneakers, that's ok, but here we have a pen that costs zillions of euros and will be probably sold to Russian oligarchs, Arab emirs and a few very rich collectors scattered around the world. I can hardly imagine a poorly drawn comic is the most effective way to address that target. To put it differently: would you advertise a fluo-pink Lamy Safari with a video featuring a bunch of serious British aristocrats?

Not to mention the quality of the CGI effects... couldn't they just put a picture of the actual thing? :D at least they could show off the amazing craftmanship.

Edited by TassoBarbasso

+1

www.fountainpen.de - the website for Montblanc and Astoria collectors

logo.gif

The target audience (the type of people portrayed in Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut") will understand the message of the 'cartoon' while we (the type of people that cannot afford to light their cigars with hundred dollar bills) are left just a bit perplexed.

Montegrappa's mission is accomplished.

The problem with the videos is how completely and embarassingly off-target they are. If this was an ad for a pair of sneakers, that's ok, but here we have a pen that costs zillions of euros and will be probably sold to Russian oligarchs, Arab emirs and a few very rich collectors scattered around the world. I can hardly imagine a poorly drawn comic is the most effective way to address that target. To put it differently: would you advertise a fluo-pink Lamy Safari with a video featuring a bunch of serious British aristocrats?

Not to mention the quality of the CGI effects... couldn't they just put a picture of the actual thing? :D at least they could show off the amazing craftmanship.

Actually, those people mentioned are the target customers for this one. A few years ago the magazine Penna mentioned that several Italian (and perhaps from other countries as well) penmakers designed very luxurious pens for those people who already have 276 gold bracelets and 134 neclaces and want something else to throw money at. It is those pens that keep the companies afloat so they can make nice pens like the NeroUno, Miya etc. we can buy at reasonable prices.

Problem with magazines like Penna and PenWorld is that they offer 5 pages for ridiculous pens in an edition of 20 or so, and have a 3 line sidenote on a new pen that interests the bulk of our members here and will probably sell 20.000.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Definitely an advertisement for next years Super Bowl!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by brgmarketing

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

That pen is an atrocity. not only that, why would they depict someone pouring rat poison into the sink? Are you serious? What kind of guardian angel lets you harm the environment like that!?

Seems like Montgrappa brought back some renaissance artists from the past, and this is the only 'art' they knew....

Still, I wouldn't say it's that far fetched, I mean, there are plenty of 'for show only' pens.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

I am proud that Montegrappa had the daring and courage to present a piece with positive, overt religious connotation, without resorting to the dark witchcraft themes which dominate so much tv and music videos. The video's music was confident and praiseworthy -- and I'm not the sentimental, schmaltzy type. The craftsmanship appears outstanding. If buyers are drawn to a piece which both reminds and gives expression to their faith, so much the better. This, from an admitted pastor / chaplain ... who couldn't afford one anyway.

This thread was not started to call the quality of their pens into question.

They did not resort to dark witchcraft themes - they took it a step darker (if you look beyond the surface).

• 9 months later...

good CGI = expensive, and cheap CGI = does not work. I remember Games of Throne producers were stating that they only wanted to shot dragon screen when it was a must due to the cost.

U guys are laughing now but I think this one edition is pretty. The set is too expensive for me though:

http://www.extravaganzi.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Montegrappa-Eternal-Bird-Silver-Fountain-Pen-2.jpg

You have to see the ink pot of the Eternal Bird edition:

http://www.extravaganzi.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Montegrappa-Limited-Edition-Eternal-Bird-White-Diamonds-Ink-Bottle.jpg

Edited by Downcelot