New Pens On Asapens

Scribblesoften

Thank you Hari and Anup. DaveBj I believe the Sniper is in the prototype phase. They may not have yet produced the demonstator version.

Okay, thanks. I'll keep an eye on the website.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a_m

• Scribblesoften

• mrmohitmishra

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got my Galactic. Beautiful pen but ... it's burping very badly. Need to get it tamed :-)

Your place having cold temperature?

(was writing from mobile version - didn't see UK)

Fill it full - then jerk of few drops. Then hold the pen inverted covering full palm for couple of minutrs.

Edited by anup

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

How did you guess, it is indeed a wee bit parky round 'ere, in other words, cool. I'll see what happens if I warm it up nicely next time but I'm also going to just push that nib and feed in a bit more firmly in case the post managed to shake them a little loose.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Loose nib/feed, low ink & cold temperature leads to burp. If the first two are good the problem is in third.

ASA is at Chennai which is year round warm.

You will find in a given nib feed set up during warmer climate the pen would perform better even with lower ink levels

But when temperature drops the same nib feed set would burp at higher ink levels.

I have also observed that in very cold temperature even the nib (considering they are good and well aligned) feels like dragging over paper. But in warmer temperature the same nib would perform much better.

I put my savings to test

Yet another unfair advantage of the tropical climate... ;)

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

How did you guess, it is indeed a wee bit parky round 'ere, in other words, cool. I'll see what happens if I warm it up nicely next time but I'm also going to just push that nib and feed in a bit more firmly in case the post managed to shake them a little loose.

On my own Galactic I needed to mess around with it for a few fills to get it to stop burping. Im using an aftermarket Jowo nib but I would imagine this would work with the stock nib also.

Basically I warmed the feed slightly in some not quite boiled water, then pushed it and the nib into the collar of the section. I pushed it back so far as about 2mm of the feed protrudes out of the section at the ink end, instead of the top of the feed being flush with the section. I screwed it back in place and let it sit as such for about an hour before I filled it to allow the feed to return to room temperature.

I've since gone through two barrels of ink without any significant burping. The flow is wet however which is to my liking but might not necessarily be to yours. It's bloody freezing here also!

Wetness is a quality of nib. If you can manipulate tines of nibs- you can make it write dry or wet.

I put my savings to test

Out of the last four years I have spent two winters in India... I think I may have to increase that proportion in future. As you say mhguda, an unfair advantage of the tropical climate!

Usually only sea coasts have year round fair weather. I reside in middle of India and temperature ranges from 2 degree Celsius to 46 degree Celsius.

When I restarted using the FPs, the behaviour in different climates baffled me initially - but then I saw that there was pattern to it.

I am now less harsh to reach instant conclusions that the pen is bad or nib is bad. Now I am more tolerant, understanding and have a cooler mind :-)

I put my savings to test

A bit off topic.... but that's what I love about India, the variety of climates. I can spend the worst of the winter in TN or Karnataka, and then head up to Leh for the early summer weather and watch the oxen ploughing in the fields below Spituk monastery... happy days :)

Edited by amk

I seem to have come late to this party and just missed the special price on the Sniper. However, it's being shown as available for £36.01 and in stock, I assume that's the regular price, also I may be waiting a while for delivery, true?

Anyway, my main question is really about the 1.1 italic option. Does anyone know if this would this be pretty much the same nib as the TWSBI 1.1 on the Diamond 580? A pointer to some writing samples could be useful too.

The reason I'm asking is that the TWSBI 1.1 is just a little too wide for my liking. To give you an idea of my perfect stock italic, that would be the Pilot nib as fitted to the Pluminix (and which I have successfully transplanted into a Prera and an MR2). The Lamy 1.1 is a little bit wider, but still ok.

I have micromesh and a Dremel clone, but my nib tuning efforts practised on cheap Jinhao X750s have not been totally successful. An alternative would be to transplant a Pilot Pluminix into an ASA - I've read that it may be possible on some of their range. Are there any pictures of how to do this anywhere? I need some confidence that a mechanical numpty like me could manage it.

In the meantime I might just order an Oliver F27 in lime green to keep my Lamy Safari in that colour company :-)

(I have discovered that replacing the nib on this one may not be too easy as despite being a threaded Schmidt, it is actually glued in https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/278388-molten-sky-the-oliver-f27-blue-black-acrylic-variant-review/?p=3186347 )

Cheers,

Gary

Edited by garyc

Ah, Galactic behaved a bit better today (warmer in the study), and is really nice to write with. So a thumbs-up for the pen - the feel in the hand is great although it's on the large side (a bit fatter than my Edison Colliers that it's living with).

None the less, I will take a bit of time with it tomorrow to tinker with the feed and swap a drier ink in, and maybe play with a couple of other ideas for 'taming the eyedropper'.

I too look forward to receiving it. My only triple filler to date, the large Airborne, is an excellent pen. I suspect the Sniper will be very good as well.

Loose nib/feed, low ink & cold temperature leads to burp. If the first two are good the problem is in third.

ASA is at Chennai which is year round warm.

You will find in a given nib feed set up during warmer climate the pen would perform better even with lower ink levels

But when temperature drops the same nib feed set would burp at higher ink levels.

I have also observed that in very cold temperature even the nib (considering they are good and well aligned) feels like dragging over paper. But in warmer temperature the same nib would perform much better.

Actually, I think the problem is with the Breather hole in the cap.

It's a centimetre too low than it should be. When it is closed, the nib is practically sesaled shut, making it splatter when you open the cap.

I'll make a smae hole at an appropriate place on the cap and see is that fixes my Galactic's burping problem as well.

I just love the pen otherwise.

The burping is due to surface area on the feed in part.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

Try another nib before you make another hole.

I put my savings to test

I've finally received my Asapens Galactic and inked it - I find no blurping whatsoever. In fact I had to prime the feed to get the pen started. Now the flow is fine, although a tiny bit on the dry side. May be the ink of course. I filled the barrel about 2/5 of the way so if there's to be any blurping of this pen I expect it to show up pretty quickly. Anyhow the position of the cap breathing hole is, to my mind, irrelevant. The cap unscrews from the barrel and there is ample time for pressure equalization, so ink would not be drawn into the cap by opening the pen.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi