New Pens On Asapens

Scribblesoften

I seem to have come late to this party and just missed the special price on the Sniper. However, it's being shown as available for £36.01 and in stock, I assume that's the regular price, also I may be waiting a while for delivery, true?

Anyway, my main question is really about the 1.1 italic option. Does anyone know if this would this be pretty much the same nib as the TWSBI 1.1 on the Diamond 580? A pointer to some writing samples could be useful too.

The reason I'm asking is that the TWSBI 1.1 is just a little too wide for my liking. To give you an idea of my perfect stock italic, that would be the Pilot nib as fitted to the Pluminix (and which I have successfully transplanted into a Prera and an MR2). The Lamy 1.1 is a little bit wider, but still ok.

I have micromesh and a Dremel clone, but my nib tuning efforts practised on cheap Jinhao X750s have not been totally successful. An alternative would be to transplant a Pilot Pluminix into an ASA - I've read that it may be possible on some of their range. Are there any pictures of how to do this anywhere? I need some confidence that a mechanical numpty like me could manage it.

In the meantime I might just order an Oliver F27 in lime green to keep my Lamy Safari in that colour company :-)

(I have discovered that replacing the nib on this one may not be too easy as despite being a threaded Schmidt, it is actually glued in https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/278388-molten-sky-the-oliver-f27-blue-black-acrylic-variant-review/?p=3186347 )

Cheers,

Gary

Please go through my asa patriot review... Its fitted with 1.1 italic JoWo nib

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a_m

• Scribblesoften

• mrmohitmishra

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Try another nib before you make another hole.

Actually, after I cleaned the pen in Luke warm water, the feed sems to have set much better. The ubrping stopped. Has been 2-3 weeks and no sign of it yet.

However, I have a habit of quickily unscrewing the pen, which leads to some ink spatter withing the cap. I don't mind it getting on my finger one bit, but seeing how beautiful the pen is, it affects its stellar looks a lot; I decided to make a (very small) hole nonetheless.

Let's see how it is in the next few weeks. I use it as my daily writer and the combination of x-feather in it is simply beutiful.

I seem to have come late to this party and just missed the special price on the Sniper. However, it's being shown as available for £36.01 and in stock, I assume that's the regular price, also I may be waiting a while for delivery, true?

Anyway, my main question is really about the 1.1 italic option. Does anyone know if this would this be pretty much the same nib as the TWSBI 1.1 on the Diamond 580? A pointer to some writing samples could be useful too.

The reason I'm asking is that the TWSBI 1.1 is just a little too wide for my liking. To give you an idea of my perfect stock italic, that would be the Pilot nib as fitted to the Pluminix (and which I have successfully transplanted into a Prera and an MR2). The Lamy 1.1 is a little bit wider, but still ok.

I have micromesh and a Dremel clone, but my nib tuning efforts practised on cheap Jinhao X750s have not been totally successful. An alternative would be to transplant a Pilot Pluminix into an ASA - I've read that it may be possible on some of their range. Are there any pictures of how to do this anywhere? I need some confidence that a mechanical numpty like me could manage it.

In the meantime I might just order an Oliver F27 in lime green to keep my Lamy Safari in that colour company :-)

(I have discovered that replacing the nib on this one may not be too easy as despite being a threaded Schmidt, it is actually glued in https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/278388-molten-sky-the-oliver-f27-blue-black-acrylic-variant-review/?p=3186347 )

Cheers,

Gary

My guess is it'll be similar to the TWSBI nib as both sniper and TWSBI nibs are made by JoWo

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

• 3 weeks later...

These are really nice looking pens. The question of staining was raised in your review thread. Though staining may never happen, I wonder if these pens will be offered with the triple filler option.

• 4 weeks later...

My Asa Sniper in Forrest Green ebonite arrived yesterday. What can I say, it is a beautiful pen. I will post a review of it in a few weeks in the reviews section. I am very impressed by it so far.

Too bad many of the pens mentioned on this thread are marked "Out of Stock" on the Asapens website. Others are available with very restricted options: The Asa I Can, for example, is available only in matte black.

All of the Gama/Asa pens are marked "Out of Stock." Most of the Gama pens likewise.

Does anybody have information on this situation?

Well it's a pretty small company that's only turning out a handful of pens each day. What can you reasonably expect in those circumstances?

Stock levels are replenished when they have new stock made. The best idea is to email them with your preference and see if/when it can be made. They are very receptive to communications and answer every request with a realistic answer of timescales etc.

Too bad many of the pens mentioned on this thread are marked "Out of Stock" on the Asapens website. Others are available with very restricted options: The Asa I Can, for example, is available only in matte black.

All of the Gama/Asa pens are marked "Out of Stock." Most of the Gama pens likewise.

Does anybody have information on this situation?

Please drop an email to the seller... he will surely update you about current inventory....

vaibhav mehandiratta

Well it's a pretty small company that's only turning out a handful of pens each day. What can you reasonably expect in those circumstances?

Stock levels are replenished when they have new stock made. The best idea is to email them with your preference and see if/when it can be made. They are very receptive to communications and answer every request with a realistic answer of timescales etc.

I didn't "expect" anything. I was reporting what I found and asking a question.

Please drop an email to the seller... he will surely update you about current inventory....

I emailed two days ago.

I know when I wanted the ASA Galactic it was out of stock, so I emailed him, got a reply in a couple of days to tell me an approximate date and a further reply when they were in stock.

I haven't gotten a reply to my email, so I'll wait a few more days and try again next week. He may have other things on his mind at the moment.

I haven't gotten a reply to my email, so I'll wait a few more days and try again next week. He may have other things on his mind at the moment.

i will contact him ... and will get back to u on this....

vaibhav mehandiratta

I've been using my Sniper pretty much non-stop since I received it a fortnight ago. It's such a beautiful pen and the ebonite feels so warm in hand.

post-112324-0-31136800-1431263444_thumb.jpg

post-112324-0-66645500-1431263469_thumb.jpg

Are the aftermarket German nibs Jowo or Bock in this case, does anyone know? The 1.1mm nib on my Sniper is definitely thinner than my Goulet branded 1.1mm Jowo nib. It was certainly drier and scratchier on arrival, even after full flush etc. I flossed it with brass shims and smoothed it with micro mesh so it is buttery smooth now.

post-112324-0-78965000-1431263509_thumb.jpg

strictlyobiter, I have yet to purchase an ebonite pen (I own about 25 pens), but yours with the stubbed nib is very enticing. How sharp are those threads to the fingers?

The threads on my unit are not sharp at all TSherbs. To be fair though I don't hold my pens that far back, more around the middle of the section. The section on the Sniper is particularly comfortable.

I'm happy to report that Asapens has restocked.

I re-emailed Mr. Subramaniam, this time using the Unik Services email, and he replied almost immediately to let me know that the Gama Hawk model I wanted was in stock.

A subsequent visit to the Asapens website revealed that many previously out-of-stock items are now available again.

I ended up ordering three pens (a Hawk, an I Can, and a Genius). I may upload images/comments after I receive the pens.

Edited by Nomad

I'm happy to report that Asapens has restocked.

I re-emailed Mr. Subramaniam, this time using the Unik Services email, and he replied almost immediately to let me know that the Gama Hawk model I wanted was in stock.

A subsequent visit to the Asapens website revealed that many previously out-of-stock items are now available again.

I ended up ordering three pens (a Hawk, an I Can, and a Genius). I may upload images/comments after I receive the pens.

that sounds amazing,,,,,

vaibhav mehandiratta