New Pens On Asapens

Scribblesoften

Some of my favorite current production nibs are made by Pilot. Most are friction fit into plastic bodies that take converters. What would you think of an ebonite body that could accept the Pilot parts? Forgive my ignorance, but is it more difficult than building the threaded section that the German nib units use? I realize that Pilot does not sell nibs and feeds separately like Jowo and Pelikan. One would have to buy a pen to get the feed and nib.

It is an interesting question and you might get some more opinions if posted in the pen turning forum.

In my view, it is more challenging to make a perfect direct friction fit nib feed system into the pen.

Using a prebuilt nib unit takes care of the issues of ensuring (depends on the nib unit you are using) a good nib feed tightness and alignment, so it becomes a simpler task for the pen maker using such assemblies. The C/C capability comes as "dowry" when you use a schmidt/jowo/bock nib-feed-housing assembly, then it is just a matter of cleverly building a support for the converter so that it does not rattle in use.

If Pilot nibs and feeders were available to small players in retail, you would see many talented pen makers offering them who will have the expertise to utilise the parts effectively. Hakase is able to ask Pilot to make nibs for them. In the past Cross, Dunhill hve had nibs made by Pilot, so I think it might be an issue of having the right contacts, reputation enough for Pilot to work with you and the depth of the pocket. :)

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a_m

• Scribblesoften

• mrmohitmishra

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some of my favorite current production nibs are made by Pilot. Most are friction fit into plastic bodies that take converters. What would you think of an ebonite body that could accept the Pilot parts? Forgive my ignorance, but is it more difficult than building the threaded section that the German nib units use? I realize that Pilot does not sell nibs and feeds separately like Jowo and Pelikan. One would have to buy a pen to get the feed and nib.

I would put in another way. Every good food takes its own pleasant time to cook to get the perfect taste. If you wait some months you can have as many such FPs from ASA as you want !!! Things are getting cooked and brewed in the ASA stable, though I am not privy to exact details.

If you want to be a "Beta Tester", you can contact Mr. Subramaniam.

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

Thanks I would love to be but the distances and the resultant lag times are considerable.

Thanks for the answer, Hari. At some point I am going to have to break down and purchase a lathe.

The Raja is my every day carry pen right now. The size and shape of the section and the whole pen work very well for me. I am hoping the Eyas turns out to be similar.

The Eyas and the Raja are variations around the same platform. Same critical dimensions. You will find them very similar.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I received my package from ASA Pens today. It had three pens though I only ordered two. Mr. Subramaniam was kind enough to include Parker 51esque Oliver 51no. for free. I filled all the pens without rinsing and put them to paper. The following photos are after the pens had been in my hands for less than an hour. Please forgive my out of focus and poorly lit photos and realize the pens look better than they do in my photos.

Three new pens

The Hawk and the Eyas. The Eyas is smaller in diameter as well as shorter.

The sections appear to be about the same length.

This is with the sections lined up.

The Gama Popular.

The Popular with the Raja and an M800.

post-71717-0-39326900-1398719083_thumb.jpg

The Oliver 51 no.

The hooded nib.

No finicky aerometric filler with a ply glass sac to change once every fifty years. Instead, no moving parts to break.

The three and a writing sample.]

Edited by Scribblesoften

Mmmmmm that "Popular" is a fine looking pen.....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I was surprised to like it as much as I do. It is a bit longer than the Eyas and fits my hand well.

I really am terrible at the whole process of photography. In retrospect a lighter background would have allowed you to see the pens better.

You cannot really see it, but that is a Sheaffer flexible stub in the Raja.

Edited by Scribblesoften

I really am terrible at the whole process of photography. In retrospect a lighter background would have allowed you to see the pens better.

Your pic at

http://asapens.in/eshop/gama-eyas-shiny-black-ebonite-fountain-pen

looks quite good

The ink color also looks good !

How does this ink Diamine imperial blue compare to Diamine Sapphire blue?

The sapphire blue is my favourite - and is also a bit water resistant.

Edited by a_m

I put my savings to test

Thank you. I will pick up some sapphire blue and compare them. I have not yet tried that color. Perhaps I will post another photo too.

Edited to add: I followed your link to the ASA Pens site. Wow he did not waste any time. I am not connected to ASA Pens in any way but they are welcome to use my photos. I just wish they were better.

Edited by Scribblesoften

I think it has come out well. Based on your pic, I have placed order for 3 nos Popular pens, one of each color.

These pens are nice vehicles for nib transplants, well done!

I lack your skills in manufacturing new sections but based on a_m's photos i believe I can fit a Jowo nib with the standard feed and section. I will attempt it when I return home.

i believe I can fit a Jowo nib with the standard feed and section. I will attempt it when I return home.

a JoWo No 6, stock Bock No 6, stock IPG used by Gama and the Indian IP Deccan nib are all roughly the same length, give or take 1mm. You will be able to do the swap very easily. ASA has some aftermarket Bock nibs, you can perhaps buy one or two along with your next order for the experiments, why disturb the JoWo nib unit with its plastic feed and housing. HTH.

You can contact me back channel if you need some help in how to fit the nib to your pens.

Edited by hari317

ASA has some aftermarket Bock nibs, you can perhaps buy one or two along with your next order for the experiments

Those nibs are absolutely watery - only good for experiments. The ink flows through that nib as if its the amazon river. i had to do quite some tweaking to make it a nile

I put my savings to test

Those nibs are absolutely watery - only good for experiments. The ink flows through that nib as if its the amazon river. i had to do quite some tweaking to make it a nile

:lticaptd: The nibs are not idiot proof.

Edited by hari317

• 2 weeks later...

That is a good looking pen. I wish they would fit it with the piston filling mechanism they have in some of the resin pens.

Your pic at

http://asapens.in/eshop/gama-eyas-shiny-black-ebonite-fountain-pen

looks quite good

The ink color also looks good !

How does this ink Diamine imperial blue compare to Diamine Sapphire blue?

The sapphire blue is my favourite - and is also a bit water resistant.

I had a chance to pick up a sample of the Sapphire Blue and compare it with the Imperial Blue. To my eye, the Imperial Blue is just a shade more purple than the Sapphire Blue. I am glad you asked the question because Sapphire Blue may be my new favorite color ink. Thanks.

I have had Eyas for a few weeks. Not enough time to write a review but i'd like to share a few points about this pen.

This is a thick and light pen. Section width is a few microns short of 12 mm at 35 mm from the nib. Still it feels as light as Kaweco Sport in hand. I got lucky with the nib and it is superbly smooth. Two other similar nibs in other Gama pens have been ok.

I have tried a few inks, Pelikan 4001, Diamine Onyx Black and Hero Black carbon ink. With all of these the pen has been a bit slow starter. Probably needs a bit of adjustment but i have been hesitant to play around with the nib as it is so fantastically smooth.

The finish quality is ok for < 20 EUR pen. I would gladly pay double that if a future version of Eyas would have a JoWo nib unit and slightly better finish quality. I'd love to be able to quickly change between a 0.6 stub and F nibs.. But event as it is it's the pen my hand automatically reachers for at the moment.

post-109432-0-18564600-1400161515_thumb.jpg

Non notisi signi.