New Pens On Asapens

Scribblesoften

I was on the ASAPens site again today and noticed that they added a couple of more Gama ebonite pens. One of the new offerings is a slightly smaller model of the Gama Hawk. I ordered one and now the waiting begins.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a_m

• Scribblesoften

• mrmohitmishra

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes try to avoid visiting that site as I have bought a lotta pens and still keep buying more gama pens

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

Funny cap, looks like a Pelikan with a shortened Parker clip.

Does not look too bad. Some of these Indian pens are quite good, I hear.

I don't have first hand experience...

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Funny cap, looks like a Pelikan with a shortened Parker clip.

Does not look too bad. Some of these Indian pens are quite good, I hear.

I don't have first hand experience...

D.ick

yeah but it looks good though

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Too bad that one has been sold out for a while. I do not know how Gama does their production runs. There have been a couple of different models with celluloid that sold out and have not been restocked. I am still waiting on my latest order to arrive.

I had a look at that Gama Hawk black ebonite pen and (IMHO) that nib looks goofily small for that fat section.

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

I ordered one and was worried about the same thing. When it arrived, ASA Pens had included a larger nib of the same type used on a Deccan Advocate. The larger nib is a medium and the stock nib is an Asian fine. When I first unpacked the pen, I planned to change to the larger nib but the stocker writes so well, I just adjusted my eye to it. The Eyas is one of the pens I ordered. It is like a three qiarter scale Hawk. The nib looks more proportional. When the Eyas arrives I will post some pics. The same clover IPG type nib came on my Gama Raja. That one needed a bit of smoothing. The Raja is my every day carry pen right now. The size and shape of the section and the whole pen work very well for me. I am hoping the Eyas turns out to be similar.

Edited by Scribblesoften

I ordered one and was worried about the same thing. When it arrived, ASA Pens had included a larger nib of the same type used on a Deccan Advocate. The larger nib is a medium and the stock nib is an Asian fine. When I first unpacked the pen, I planned to change to the larger nib but the stocker writes so well, I just adjusted my eye to it. The Eyas is one of the pens I ordered. It is like a three qiarter scale Hawk. The nib looks more proportional. When the Eyas arrives I will post some pics. The same clover IPG type nib came on my Gama Raja. That one needed a bit of smoothing. The Raja is my every day carry pen right now. The size and shape of the section and the whole pen work very well for me. I am hoping the Eyas turns out to be similar.

It seems to me that Eyas section diameter is a bit smaller to the Hawk - perhaps like the Raja / Forever. Though the nib is same.

Infact the stock IPG nib of Gama is a bit larger than the Deccan nib. If you compare the nibs (keeping one on other back to back), you will see that the Gama IPG exceeds by at least 0.5 mm.

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

It seems to me that Eyas section diameter is a bit smaller to the Hawk - perhaps like the Raja / Forever. Though the nib is same.

Infact the stock IPG nib of Gama is a bit larger than the Deccan nib. If you compare the nibs (keeping one on other back to back), you will see that the Gama IPG exceeds by at least 0.5 mm.

Is the IPG nib longer? I will have to compare. It is not an exact comparison as the IPG is still in the pen but the Deccan nib looks larger to me. Perhaps it is wider but shorter.

My Eyas has not yet arrived. When it does, I will post some comparison photos with the Hawk and also perhaps the Raja/Padpad.

L - R. Gama IPG nib, Deccan nib, Conklin Bock nib

I put my savings to test

Wow, they look pretty close to the same size in you photo. Now I want to disassemble my pen to compare as well. Thanks for posting the photo.

Edited by Scribblesoften

Here is another comparative image

L - R Gama IPG, Deccan, Conklin Bock, Jinhao x450, Wality Single Tone, Wality Dual Tone, Gama Standard Feed, Deccan Advocate Feed.

Jinhao x450, x750 and 159 nibs are of same size.

Eventhough wality nibs are smaller they work very well in Gama FPs.

Also Gama FPs (not tried, but heard) take very well the feed and nib of Sheaffer NN.

The Gama IPG nib and feed is same in Supreme, Hawk, Kuyil, Forever, Raja etc

I put my savings to test

I just fitted two Oliver F27s with Bulow (same as Jinhao X450 et al) nibs and it's a very good fit, although it does take some effort to get it to sit far enough into the section to avoid it scraping the inside of the cap. Same experience with a Kim Jumbo and a Noodler's nib that would fit the Ahab and Konrad. That one I like much better than the nib the pen originally came with, which was a #5. Incongruous, such a large pen with that small nib... The Noodler's nib is starting to flex a little, too, even though it's supposed to be non-flex.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

My Eyas has not yet arrived. When it does, I will post some comparison photos with the Hawk and also perhaps the Raja/Padpad.

I finally broke down and ordered one Eyas, it arrived today, some elbow grease later:

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/GamaEyas800JoWo/IMG_9819.jpg

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/GamaEyas800JoWo/IMG_9820.jpg

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/GamaEyas800JoWo/IMG_9821.jpg

If possible, pls ignore the dirt and grime on my table :)

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hari, I hope some of the manufacturers in Indian take notice of what you are doing and start offering their pens with JoWo nibs. Thank you.

Hari, your conversions look great. I am still waiting for my Eyas to crawl it's way here. How difficult do you believe it would be to produce the plastic sleeves that the nibs and feeds fit in? If a Jowo/Pelikan compatible threaded plastic unit could be produced locally you could work with producers like Gem to bulk produce compatible pens. It would make Indian pens even more desirable.

Hari, I hope some of the manufacturers in Indian take notice of what you are doing and start offering their pens with JoWo nibs. Thank you.

Hari, your conversions look great. I am still waiting for my Eyas to crawl it's way here. How difficult do you believe it would be to produce the plastic sleeves that the nibs and feeds fit in? If a Jowo/Pelikan compatible threaded plastic unit could be produced locally you could work with producers like Gem to bulk produce compatible pens. It would make Indian pens even more desirable.

Thank you Brian and Scribbles for your kind comments.

Some manufacturers, like Oliver for instance, do offer some pens with German nib units.

I believe it will be impractical to manufacture in small quantities, a Pelikan type sleeve which is as tough and long lasting as the original. Pens with German nibs preinstalled is a viable option which I can assure you, some manufacturers will consider eventually if my and a one someone else's efforts bear fruit. :)

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Some of my favorite current production nibs are made by Pilot. Most are friction fit into plastic bodies that take converters. What would you think of an ebonite body that could accept the Pilot parts? Forgive my ignorance, but is it more difficult than building the threaded section that the German nib units use? I realize that Pilot does not sell nibs and feeds separately like Jowo and Pelikan. One would have to buy a pen to get the feed and nib.