• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zseelye

• Edwaroth

• Blue_Moon

• swanjun

I love them both, which is why I used my Christmas money on the Lamy 2000 and am about to use my birthday money on the FC Eclipse. :)

So, clearly, I am no help. :)

I just acquired an F-C 1901 and a 40pocket is on it's way. I have had two Lamy 2K's. I would opt for the 2K first, then go for the F-C. They are totally different but I think the Lamy is the better first choice. Why: it's an icon in fountain pen design. It is a piston filler and holds a fair bit of ink. It is quite a substantial pen and well balanced for the money. It is a fine writer. And finally, it is a design icon. I hope this enables...er, helps you!

Regards, Ed

I would go with the 25 Eclipse. Just purchased one at the philly pen show in a fine and I love it. Writes beautifully and fits so well in the hand. You will love writing with this pen. It is my go to everyday writer. I have also owned a 2000.

Arthur

...I think the Lamy is the better first choice. Why: it's an icon in fountain pen design. It is a piston filler and holds a fair bit of ink. It is quite a substantial pen and well balanced for the money. It is a fine writer. And finally, it is a design icon...

explicit consent :thumbup:

Also Lamy's aftersales service if required is remarkably good

I own a couple of F-C's and a Lamy 2000 and there's no doubt - Go with the F-C first!

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I have paid attention in F/C class.

IMO, they are a great company with great products. (Even if they won't run with my idea of trying to be the pen to the White House.[1])

I think we should support members of the community like them whenever possible. Mike Masuyama also grinds their nibs. That, if nothing else, shows they recognize high quality work. Even compared to Lamy I don't think you are compromising with F/C.

So far as the Lamy goes, IMO, it's lack of style, style, isn't particularly attractive to me.

I have no real, good excuse for not having bought from F/C myself.

[1] I would never have suggested that to them if I didn't think very highly of them.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Thanks for all the help - this is so much better than browsing articles and youtube videos!

The primary reason I'm torn is the nib. I love the fact that the F-C can be ordered with a hand-ground nib by the master. I also like the slight customization of the colored band near the top, and I think the pseudo-hooded nib is pretty unique. BUT, I can't find a whole lot of information on how it writes or on what size nib to get! I like the idea of a M Stub, but I fear it would be too wide. I've read a bit about some .7mm cursive italics, and that seems like it would work - but there's not much out there about it that I've come across!

The 2000 seems to be known for its inconsistency out of the box. BUT, it looks stellar, and nothing has a 55-year reputation for being poor in quality!

I'll primarily be using this for a pen at my desk, taking notes and working through problems by writing them down. 4-6 pages of writing a day is pretty normal. Currently, I'm using a Kaweco Al Sport F, which is super smooth (took a bit of writing to wear in), but it's not an all-day writer. I also have a Safari, which I like, but it's a bit scratchy and can be inconsistent (and it's my second one - I had to return the first for skipping, which adds to my hesitancy about the 2000!).

Any further thoughts?

Edited by zseelye

I think the "...known for its inconsistency..." is a result of Internet magnification. I suspect that the number of L2Ks that have been sold put in the very top of the number of pens sold, especially in over 50 years. So if there was a small fraction of the pens that had problems, the number with the problems would exceed the total output of many other pens. And the number that had no problems at all are far in excess of that.

Part of the reason you can't find a lot of information about the F/C, especially compared to th L2K, is that there are a lot fewer of them out there. And part of the reason you see more threads about L2K problems is that there are a lot ore of them. But quantity of posts doesn't really give you a lead other than an idea of the number of pens that have been sold. You'll have to dig a bit more into the information that's available.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Thanks for all the help - this is so much better than browsing articles and youtube videos!

The primary reason I'm torn is the nib. I love the fact that the F-C can be ordered with a hand-ground nib by the master. I also like the slight customization of the colored band near the top, and I think the pseudo-hooded nib is pretty unique. BUT, I can't find a whole lot of information on how it writes or on what size nib to get! I like the idea of a M Stub, but I fear it would be too wide. I've read a bit about some .7mm cursive italics, and that seems like it would work - but there's not much out there about it that I've come across!

The 2000 seems to be known for its inconsistency out of the box. BUT, it looks stellar, and nothing has a 55-year reputation for being poor in quality!

I'll primarily be using this for a pen at my desk, taking notes and working through problems by writing them down. 4-6 pages of writing a day is pretty normal. Currently, I'm using a Kaweco Al Sport F, which is super smooth (took a bit of writing to wear in), but it's not an all-day writer. I also have a Safari, which I like, but it's a bit scratchy and can be inconsistent (and it's my second one - I had to return the first for skipping, which adds to my hesitancy about the 2000!).

Any further thoughts?

The F-C's write very smoothly. If you have ANY problem with an F-C nib, send it back, and they will be happy to adjust it at no charge. At least, that's my experience. I've got two F-C's, but several nibs from them. Only one Masuyama. Their "factory" nibs are Jowo nibs, imprinted with the F-C logo, and adjusted for F-C (I believe), and I've found them - almost as/as - good as Masuyama's. That's my personal experience.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I ended up ordering the Lamy 2000 from Goulet, knowing that they inspect them before they leave the door.

I'm holding it in my hands now, and wow! I can't say enough good about it...

The only problem is that now, I'm curious what the F-C would be like. Gah. I should've known that would happen!

Thanks for all the help!

Well, now you have one more pen to look forward to acquiring.............and you will,BWAHAHAHA.