Dry Lamy 2000

Dano808

Hey all!

I've had my lamy 2000 for about 3 months and while the flow improved slightly, its still extremely dry. The flow isnt Skippy or anything like that, but it is niticably drier than all my other pens. I was wondering if anyone could help me improve this problem.

Thanks,

Dano

Lamy 2000 - Montblanc Royal Blue | Montblanc 146 - Uninked

Lamy Al-Star - Uninked | TWSBI Mini - Montblanc Toffee Brown

Lamy Safari - Noodler's Forrest Green | Conway Stewart 75 - Noodlers Black

Pilot Vanishing Point - Montblanc Midnight Blue | Delta Dolcevita IT - Uninked

Pilot Justus 95 - Montblanc Dandy Turquoise |

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dano808

• ac12

• BT-7274

• Ink Blotto

VERY tricky.

You need to remove the nib and widen the slit.

I've removed the nib a couple times, but have not gotten to the point where I needed to widen the slit.

I think Stephen Brown did a YouTube demo on disassembling the L2000.

Tip, do this over a LARGE white towel, to catch all the parts.

If you decide to widen the slit, do it a little bit at a time.

It is much easier to widen the slit than make it more narrow.

What ink are you using?

Some times it is just easier to change inks to a more wet ink (like Waterman) than to dinker with an expensive or difficult to access nib.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

As it stands, I'm using lamy black and that seems to be the best flowing ink I've tried through it. I have a mylar strip from the pilot parallel (the one to clean the nib slit) do you think I could widen the slit with that?

Two options

• Some would say that you start with the thinnest brass sheet (.001 inch) and move up (.002, .003, .005)
    CAUTION, the nib on the L2000 is gold, and most anything you put into the slit (except plastic) will be harder than gold, and could scratch the sides of the slit.
  • The other is to pull the wings up, while pressing down on the top of the nib.

But, I do not remember what the nib of the L2000 looks like, so I cannot say what is the best way to widen the slit.

If you have any Waterman ink, I would test with that to see if Waterman ink will flow any better.

If it does, that avoid the hassle of tinkering with the nib.

www.SFPenShow.com

It is a fine nib

BTW my L2000 is also a bit dry.

But then so are 2 of my Parker 51s, granted each with different inks.

I think one idea was to have the pen a bit dry, so the ink would dry quickly, and the writer could turn the page without waiting a long time. A WET pen would take a long time for the ink to dry. So, for the majority of the users, a dryer pen would be better.

Now for those of us that want deeper richer color, then we want a wetter pen to put more ink = more dye on the paper.

Did you take a look at Steven Brown's YouTube on disassembling the Lamy 2000, specifically getting the nib out?

BTW, if this is the first time for you to adjust a nib, I suggest that you FIRST practice on a much cheaper pen than the Lamy 2000, maybe a Baoer 388. Screwing up a $7 Baoer is a lot less expensive than screwing up the $85 nib on a Lamy 2000.

www.SFPenShow.com

If you're not too keen on messing with the pen yourself, you can also send the pen to lamy for adjusting, it's one of the many things they'll do under warranty.

Just be sure to include a note saying the problem along with $9,80 for return postage.

Calculating.

As it stands, I'm using lamy black and that seems to be the best flowing ink I've tried through it. I have a mylar strip from the pilot parallel (the one to clean the nib slit) do you think I could widen the slit with that?

I would try a different ink; Noodlers, Waterman or Pilot. I haven't tried Lamy but German inks tend to be on the drier side. Also the nib does take a bit of wearing in.

Aurora black is a wet ink. I'd try that or some other wet ink before messing with the pen. I use Aurora black, it works great for me with a fine nib Lamy 2000.

I had the same problem. Lookup Stephen Brown's video "How to make a Nib wetter in seconds" (SBREBROWN on youtube). It involved opening the tines with your fingers. If you're willing to take the risk like I did, the flow with improve in seconds.

My Lamy 2000 Broad nib came a bit dry, and I also used the technique shown in the video above. As long as there is nothing else wrong with the nib, it works like a charm!