Parker 45

h.farmawi

This is my only '45', but it gets used a great deal.

I found it in a charity shop, bought for a few GBP, as 'not working'/ parts missing.

Replaced the nib, and fitted a 1970's squeeze converter, now is as good as I can get it.

Looks good to me. It's UK made, 1988 I believe.

Nice Flighter!!

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• h.farmawi

• OcalaFlGuy

• pajaro

• Captivelight

I've heard so many positive things about Parker 45s. Is it better to purchase them from the Classifieds or eBay??

I have had pretty good luck on ebay - not just my 45's but other pens as well. But Caveat Emptor is always key.

I have a burgundy "Made in Spain" 45 with fine nib I got from a Spanish seller. And a Flighter with 14k medium (represented as plated steel) that was truly a "sumgai" deal. On the burgundy, I might have gotten a little better price on the Classifieds here.

I have bought other pens here successfully. (a Waterman Phileas that was new in box including converter, papers and cartridge for a very good price)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I've heard so many positive things about Parker 45s. Is it better to purchase them from the Classifieds or eBay??

Parker 45s are pretty simple and durable so they are hard to screw up. The only issue they have is the barrel section where the cap clamps sometimes shrinks and gets wavy, but that does not seem to affect operation, just a visual problem. You should be able to see if a pen has that problem from photos in an eBay listing.

I think its safe buying a 45 on ebay. They are relatively cheap (under $20, perhaps closer to $30 for a flighter). The only problem I have had with any 45s from eBay were a couple which were crudded up with old ink, and that's more an inconvenience than a real problem.

Good luck!

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

Thank you, Runnin_Ute and bsenn :) I have scoured eBay, and added a few to my watch list. Just a quick question - is the olive green P45 rare enough to warrant a high price? I love the colour and have seen a mint set, comprised of a ballpoint and fountain pen, for $70 and would like to know whether this is a reasonable price.

I think $70 is a little high, unless you REALLY want one. Buy a standard color, use it, and keep your eyes open for an olive pen at a better deal. This year I paid $25 for one and $20 for another on eBay (yes, I need two olive pens, ones a CT and ones a GT).

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

IMO, the R word doesn't belong in the same sentence with Olive Green P-45, "Somewhat harder to find", maybe.

I Will grant that sets with the FP and *BP* Are also harder to find, usually, you get the pencil.

Personally, I see the upper limits for an early series Olive Deluxe (two tone cap) with a Gold nib FP NOS in box or minty in box at $25-30, the BP at $15-20. Thusly for me, the more preferred range for a set like that would be $35-50, plus maybe a bit for shipping.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl-[EDIT] who personally finds the Olive color vomitous

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

The olive color of the 45 is very 1960s. That color was popular then on clothing and kitchen appliances. I would probably agree it is vomitous, a good word for it, but it was the favorite color of my then girlfriend to wear. Pale olive, deep olive, mid-olive, she wore it all. If she hadn't looked so fetching in olive, I would have found it vomitous. I am nohow inclined to seek a 45 in olive, though. Hunter green would be more tolerable. The entire design of the 45 is very 1960s, and I think this is its most attractive quality. I had a great time being young then. Every time I look for a Parker 45, though, the ones I find are medium and sometimes broad. So, my searches for a 45 peter out on the need for an extra fine, and not finding one in 14K. I always seem to get distracted by some other kind of pen. I like the way the cap posts on my black 45. It makes it comfortable to use, but, then, it's a 14K medium.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

My little collection of P45s. I love the olive colour and am very fond of Arrows. I'm not really into "busy" pens so have avoided Harlequins.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I've got a black 45, also with a 14K med point. I've actually put a new fine nib on it to test it out (found NOS for $6), but will probably put the original back in. I love my gray 45, which has a fine point. It's my #2 pen behind the Parker 51.

I'm considering selling the black 45.

Wow, Migo984! That collection is really impressive. Where have you acquired all those P45s from? Ebay?

Edited by vistafan

Wow, Migo984! That collection is really impressive. Where have you acquired all those P45s from? Ebay?

I have been buying for a while and had 3 from my school days (long, long ago). About 75% are from eBay. Only 3 were NOS, the rest were used as I am not really a collector; I use all my pens. Most were incredibly grimy and inky but the joy of P45s is that they are so easy to clean up. I just avoid ones with lots of bite marks (common on P45s), scratches or dents. I have a wide selection of nibs. Quite often the eBay seller won't know what the nib is made of. A lot of mine have 14k nibs, with varying widths from X to B. I rarely paid more than $25 + shipping.

A few of us have been talking up the P45 recently. Is it a co-incidence that prices have risen a lot on eBay recently? LOL :-)

Edited by migo984

I've got a black 45, also with a 14K med point. I've actually put a new fine nib on it to test it out (found NOS for $6), but will probably put the original back in. I love my gray 45, which has a fine point. It's my #2 pen behind the Parker 51.

I'm considering selling the black 45.

Good choice, selling, I mean.

I have been buying for a while and had 3 from my school days (long, long ago). About 75% are from eBay. Only 3 were NOS, the rest were used as I am not really a collector; I use all my pens. Most were incredibly grimy and inky but the joy of P45s is that they are so easy to clean up. I just avoid ones with lots of bite marks (common on P45s), scratches or dents. I have a wide selection of nibs. Quite often the eBay seller won't know what the nib is made of. A lot of mine have 14k nibs, with varying widths from X to B. I rarely paid more than $25 + shipping.

A few of us have been talking up the P45 recently. Is it a co-incidence that prices have risen a lot on eBay recently? LOL :-)

Ever try a 51?

Well, you people iincited me to buy the following:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PARKER-45-FLIGHTER-F-PEN-14K-NIB-VGC-WITH-CONVERTER-N-RES-/181476096081?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=ie36iYhoDAm8245XTjooX7WoBp0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_604wt_900

Guess what nib it has . . .suckdog.

I have bought from that seller before. The last Esterbrook from him has a relief nib with a feel to die for. So, we'll see, but from the UK I expect something like a one inch paintbrush.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I will definitely be scouring eBay for them; I had a Parker Jotter, which was an incredibly smooth writer, so I can only guess that the P45s are even better. I have added a few to my watch list. Hopefully, I can amass a few.

Your pictures of your P45s are an absolute joy to look at; despite being used, they appear to be in immaculate condition :)

Ever try a 51?

Oh yes. I have definitely tried a P51 :-) My most treasured pen is a P51 (for personal reasons) and my best ever find was a beautiful P51 with a rolled silver cap and factory cursive italic nib, bought for practically nothing! I still can't believe my luck :-)

Oh yes. I have definitely tried a P51 :-) My most treasured pen is a P51 (for personal reasons) and my best ever find was a beautiful P51 with a rolled silver cap and factory cursive italic nib, bought for practically nothing! I still can't believe my luck :-)

A roled silver cap indeed! Haarrrumph! Factory cursive italic indeed! GAAAAH! And cheap too!

Well, that sort of thing keeps you coming back for more, but I would quit right there, you couldn't possibly top it, or could you. As an old co-worker used to opine, "born with a silver horse shoe in your mouth!"

Migo984 earned her Sumgal badge with gold leaf cluster on that RS cap 51 with italic nib since she snagged it for about the price or a replacement P-45 nib. If you search on her nick, she's posted pics of it with a writing sample recently.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

It does happen. You have those great bargains that come your way. Carpe diem.

I didn't think there was a factory cursive italic. I was under the impression that the 51 italic was a regular italic with the sharper edge. I thought all the cursive italic 51s were aftermarket retips and nibmeister work.

Edited by pajaro

I guess that 45 I bought was a bad deal. Another medium. Regrind practice.

No opinion on this purchase? Just run on about your sumgai?

Edited by pajaro

Nice little collection there migo ... unlike you I tend to go for the metal versions ...

http://pencollect.co.uk/personal/pf45.jpg

... and I would never even try to "talk up" the rather understated but brilliant Parker 45!