• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• h.farmawi

• OcalaFlGuy

• pajaro

• Captivelight

The Parker 45 is designed for reliability and easy maintenance by the user. Whatever else I am using, a Parker 45 travels

in my pocket. So it has been for forty years.

Store with the cap removed.

So it has been for forty-five years - I'm still using the Parker 45 that was given to me as a graduation present in 1969. OK, OK, it was in storage for 25 of those years :-)

P45s are great indeed ! and have not been given their due regard because of their price , when you pay heavy prices , you tend to value the possession , but to me buying a good 45 is always always a pleasure unparalelled INMHOP

Very nice! Enjoy!

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

If the nibs in the pens Came with those pens then your gold colored nib Isn't likely plated, More Likely 14k gold.

The didn't put the plated nibs in until much later. The nib will be stamped if Gold but you'll need to remove it from the collar to see it.

Nice looking 45's.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

My thoughts exactly.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

+1 Parker 45s. They are a great writing and very dependable pen!

The thing I like about them is that they are smooth wet writers, really fun to write with. The best value out there in their price range, in my opinion.

As far as whether a p45 nib might or might not be solid gold, obviously if you have the pen it takes about 20 seconds to remove the nib and look at the label. But if you are just looking at pictures on ebay, a good rule of thumb is that if the 45 nib is gold but has a little silver iridium blob at the end then its likely not plated, as the gold plating would normally cover the tip

Edited by cellmatrix

I have a few 45's that are my go-to daily pens. One is a gold-nibbed x-fine that is wonderful on smooth paper. But my steel nibbed Fine is just as smooth. And with it being a hooded nib, you don't notice much springiness. And then a medium that's like butter, and better on toothier paper. But they're solid, dependable writers. One I recommend to any beginner looking for an entry vintage pen.

I also have that dark teal, a dark blue and a light aqua. The dark blue has gold trim and the gold nib. Handsome pen!

Nice pens you got, and congrats!

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

I have a few 45's that are my go-to daily pens. One is a gold-nibbed x-fine that is wonderful on smooth paper. But my steel nibbed Fine is just as smooth. And with it being a hooded nib, you don't notice much springiness. And then a medium that's like butter, and better on toothier paper. But they're solid, dependable writers. One I recommend to any beginner looking for an entry vintage pen.

I also have that dark teal, a dark blue and a light aqua. The dark blue has gold trim and the gold nib. Handsome pen!

Nice pens you got, and congrats!

the 45's are indeed very nice daily writers.

Thanks for your Reply Sir.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Those are very nice looking pens, congrats! I have a Parker 45 too (olive green w/steel nib) and I really enjoy writing with it. Being able to take it apart and clean it out myself is a big plus too, as I'm on a budget. Can't spend much on professional pen servicing.

The thing I like about them is that they are smooth wet writers, really fun to write with. The best value out there in their price range, in my opinion.

As far as whether a p45 nib might or might not be solid gold, obviously if you have the pen it takes about 20 seconds to remove the nib and look at the label. But if you are just looking at pictures on ebay, a good rule of thumb is that if the 45 nib is gold but has a little silver iridium blob at the end then its likely not plated, as the gold plating would normally cover the tip

Cellmatrix: Thanks for the useful tip!

Don't sweat the small stuff....and it's all small stuff.

Those are very nice looking pens, congrats! I have a Parker 45 too (olive green w/steel nib) and I really enjoy writing with it. Being able to take it apart and clean it out myself is a big plus too, as I'm on a budget. Can't spend much on professional pen servicing.

Cellmatrix: Thanks for the useful tip!

Thanks! well it feels good for me when i take one of my pens apart for cleaning or any other reason its just a nice thing to have pens like this.

I love my 45's. A fine steel nibbed 45 was one of my first "real" fountain pens after experimenting with Yafa's and a horrible Parker Urban from Office Depot.

I later added a medium gold nib, which I adore, and a steel nibbed XF Argentinian "fligher" model.

I'm currently waiting for a gold 45 insignia in the mail. I guess that means my XF Flighter will up for trade soon.

Owner of many fine Parker fountain pens... and one Lamy.

This is my only '45', but it gets used a great deal.

I found it in a charity shop, bought for a few GBP, as 'not working'/ parts missing.

Replaced the nib, and fitted a 1970's squeeze converter, now is as good as I can get it.

Looks good to me. It's UK made, 1988 I believe.

http://s26.postimg.org/5y0ux6vrt/twopens.jpg

Great pens! I have a few, including the MK2s and Argentine 45s: they are all great writers. This picture shows a "Parker Student" pen, a basic 45 variant sold in the 60s. Below the Parker is a rare OMAS student pen of the same vintage.

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

http://s26.postimg.org/mps5ft07t/Parker_Student.jpg

In Italy the Parker "Student" pen came with a certificate of authenticity, just like the Parker 51s sold in that Country.

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

I just got another Parker 45 Flighter form ebay, its sitting soaking as we speak, looks like a gold plated nib on it, cant wait to get it cleaned and inked up.

"It's sitting soaking" Should Mean the nib assembly is apart and is soaking along with the section.

If that's the case any gold content hallmarks are easy to see on the bare nib.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

"It's sitting soaking" Should Mean the nib assembly is apart and is soaking along with the section.

If that's the case any gold content hallmarks are easy to see on the bare nib.

Bruce in Ocala

Hi Bruce, yes thats correct nib assembly is taken apart and is soaking along with the section, nib is gold in colour but it says Parker on it and there are no markings saying 14K etc, so I am assuming its plated.

Andy

This is my only '45', but it gets used a great deal.

I found it in a charity shop, bought for a few GBP, as 'not working'/ parts missing.

Replaced the nib, and fitted a 1970's squeeze converter, now is as good as I can get it.

Looks good to me. It's UK made, 1988 I believe.

Great pens! I have a few, including the MK2s and Argentine 45s: they are all great writers. This picture shows a "Parker Student" pen, a basic 45 variant sold in the 60s. Below the Parker is a rare OMAS student pen of the same vintage.

Nice pens !