Pelikans's Royal Battle Battle Of The Blue Kings

Morbus Curiositas

Pelikan’s Royal Battle

Battle of the Blue Kings

The old king vs. the new Royal

post-105475-0-48453500-1396795753_thumb.jpg

Dear FPN friends,

Last week I saw two reviews of Pelikan Royal Blue coming by in the Ink review forum. An old one started in 2010 (the first link) and a recent one (the second link)

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/167834-pelikan-4001-royal-blue/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/263912-pelikan-4001-royal-blue/

This gave me an Idea, since I have two bottles of Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue. An old bottle which is NINETEEN years old and a new one I recently obtained.

I thought it would be a nice idea to compare the two…

Please have a close look at the handwritten text since there is a Babylonian confusion of speech in the naming

The 4001 series is a cheaper line of Pelikan inks, but the quality isn’t “cheap” at all…

It is simply a very good basic ink that has been there for decades. :)

The ink is fairly dry but still the flowing is well. Saturation is great. And there is some nice shading to it. Though a dry ink, as mentioned by others too, the drying time is fairly long for a normal Fountain Pen ink. This makes it perhaps not the best ink for left-hand writers. :wacko:

The old ink has matured very well just like a great wine does. As far as I can see it gained a lot of depth and finesse, expressed in darkness and shading. The old ink appears a bit darker to me. Both inks are beautiful the new one with freshness (like a good Beaujolais) :happyberet: the old ink has a lot of charisma like a person like Sean Connery in older age. :notworthy1:

I think I not only build me a wine cellar (a long wished dream) but an ink cellar too!

Down here are the technical specs (as suggested by Ann Finley 2007)

points 1-5 1 = :( 5= :)

The old King

Fountain Pens: Online Best writer 0,8 Italic; Lamy Joy 1,5 Italic

Paper: Leonardo Ringbuch,,average quality school note book made in Austria

Drying time: test sheet points: 3

Flow: 0.8 points: 3 / 1,5 points: 4

Wetness: a bit dry points 3

Bleeding: almost absent in both pens points: 5

Shading: very nice points: 4

Feathering: 0.8 very little points: 5 / 1,5 little points 4

Waterproof: good points: 4

Package: simple bottle points: 2

Availabilty: Excellent :) points: 5

post-105475-0-12532200-1396795781_thumb.jpg

The new Royal

Fountain Pens: Online Best writer 0,8 Italic; Lamy Joy 1,5 Italic

Paper: Leonardo Ringbuch,,average quality school note book made in Austria

Drying time: test sheet longer points: 2

Flow: 0.8 points: 3 / 1,5 points: 4

Wetness: a bit dry points 3

Lubrication: 0.8 nib smooth points: 3.5/ 1.5 nib smooth: 4

Bleeding:very little in both pens points: 5

Shading: still nice points: 3

Feathering: 0.8 very little points: 5 / 1,5 little points 4

Waterproof: good points: 4

Package: simple bottle points: 2

Availabilty: Excellent :D points: 5

post-105475-0-22269900-1396795820_thumb.jpg

Quality and overall verdict:

4001 is still a very nice ink. The quality is like most German product: like their, cars i.e. Mercedes, their Fountain Pens i.e. PELIKAN, their inks i.e. De Atramentis ;) ,and Pelikan of course :D … SUPERB…. :wub:

Since the ink even gets better over time must really built me my ink cellar…

The best is that an excellent Pelikan or De Atramentis is much more affordable than a Romanée Conti or Chateau Margaux…. :puddle:

I conclude…

post-105475-0-90476100-1396796043_thumb.jpg

Very nice, quality ink for only E 3.90 a 25 ml. bottle. This is the best proof that a quality ink does not have to be expensive :thumbup:

Warmest Regards,

Peter Vlutters

p.s since this review is an ink comparison as well as an ink review, I have posted this review in both for a.

Peter

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Morbus Curiositas

• lapis

• Silvire

Nice comparison. Do you really have a 25-ml bottle? All 8 Pelikan inks (the 4001s in bottles -- i.e. not the pink which is only available in cartridges) come in 30-ml bottles. The Brilliant Schwarz and Königsblau also come in 50-ml bottles (the TG1 series).

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Nice comparison. Do you really have a 25-ml bottle? All 8 Pelikan inks (the 4001s in bottles -- i.e. not the pink which is only available in cartridges) come in 30-ml bottles. The Brilliant Schwarz and Königsblau also come in 50-ml bottles (the TG1 series).

Mike

Hi Mike you are absolutely right...

It are both 30 ml bottles sorry for the mistake....

But positive is that the ink is even cheaper than...

Question you live in Berlin, do you speak German???

If so was I correct in the translation issue?

Regards Peter

Bye the way...

Lapis is a beautiful colour too

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Great review / comparison! I'm going to post up a response. I've been day dreaming / California Dreaming about that ink cellar.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Really fascinating!

How did you keep a bottle of ink for 19 years and not have mold?

Was it sitting in it's box in a drawer for all that time?

Really fascinating!

I have inks that have been sitting out on my desk for more than 2 decades ... well, okay, they have traveled with me and it's not the same desk. They have been exposed to indirect light during that time. They are still wonderful. The inks I kept in boxes are all fine too. The only inks that developed mold, had a problem from the inky factory or they were exposed to an infected ink/pen. Mold is much less common than you would think from all these posts, but the number of infected bottles of inks over the years is just a drop in the inky bucket of how many bottles of inks are sold. Don't worry about it.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Really fascinating!

I have inks that have been sitting out on my desk for more than 2 decades ... well, okay, they have traveled with me and it's not the same desk. They have been exposed to indirect light during that time. They are still wonderful. The inks I kept in boxes are all fine too. The only inks that developed mold, had a problem from the inky factory or they were exposed to an infected ink/pen. Mold is much less common than you would think from all these posts, but the number of infected bottles of inks over the years is just a drop in the inky bucket of how many bottles of inks are sold. Don't worry about it.

Dear Silvire, Dear Amberlea,

I don't know how but er...

I guess ist is the same as with wine...

Keep it stored in a dry and dark place..

Wouldn't wanna drink the ink though :D

Cheers :happyberet:

Peter

Dear Silvire, Dear Amberlea,

I don't know how but er...

I guess ist is the same as with wine...

Keep it stored in a dry and dark place..

Wouldn't wanna drink the ink though :D

Cheers :happyberet:

Peter

Giggles ... Nope.

I kept mine here:

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Union_Pacific_Caboose/slides/2012-05-29%2009.12.09.jpg

Currently they are here:

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Potions_Cabinet/slides/20140326_122405.jpg

Holy Moly...

I have to be nice person in this life....

If i go tho heaven then I will probably end up in your Ink Paradise...

That is awesome... See that I am still a humble amateur :-)

Nope, I just don't have other expensive habits. No designer fashions or super pricey pens let alone the real money consumers in Vegas. I don't go drinkin', whorin' or gamblin' - hence I dispose of my money in ink. (BTW, Alcohol is cheaper).

(BTW, Alcohol is cheaper).

Only in the short run!

BTW, the color of the Pelikan 4001 seems to have changed over the years. The new formulation is more 'brilliant' than the old.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_301.jpg

(BTW, Alcohol is cheaper).

Not always, a 1963 bottle of Grange Hermitage is $4/ml., compared to Noodler's 90ml bottle at $0.13/ml.

Even the cheapest Grange is $0.53/ml.

Mind you, it does taste better than Noodler's...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Good to know.

• 6 months later...

Not always, a 1963 bottle of Grange Hermitage is $4/ml., compared to Noodler's 90ml bottle at $0.13/ml.

Even the cheapest Grange is $0.53/ml.

Mind you, it does taste better than Noodler's...

Hey, have you ever tasted Noodler`s? ;)

Hey, have you ever tasted Noodler`s? ;)

Yes, but I try not to....it tastes bad and makes my teeth look strange.

• 9 months later...

I love my Royal Blue! I sign lots of documents on my job. This ink makes my signature stand out above the others

• 2 weeks later...

I love my Royal Blue! I sign lots of documents on my job. This ink makes my signature stand out above the others

Be careful when usng it for signatures it is not a permanent ink :)