Quick Review - Diamine Grey

thesunshine

thesunshine

This forum is so useful and helpful; this is my small contribution.

I noticed a few posts of late comparing grey ink to the colour of writing with a pencil. So I decided to do an actual comparison (see the images below). Diamine Grey really does look quite close to the colour of a pencil lead (of course, this will depend as well on the pencil used and how hard you press - I used a 2B lead for my comparison). This is my only grey ink, but I'd be interested to see how other grey inks compare... after I've finished off this bottle first of course!

I'm the type of person that uses a black ink more than any other colour, but I find this ink is a nice change for personal note-taking.

All ink components of the review were written using a LAMY 2000 with a fine nib.

post-87750-0-90644400-1396757787_thumb.jpgpost-87750-0-53652800-1396757813.jpgpost-87750-0-01923600-1396757834.jpg

It's quite nice out here in the sunshine...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thesunshine

• PlasticFantastic

• aardvarkbark

• lapis

aardvarkbark

I like this ink very much for its pencil-like shading.

I use Lexington for a darker grey.

Both appear to me to be fairly true greys free from presence of other color.

PlasticFantastic

I heard Lexington was the one that looked the most like a lead pencil and just placed an order for a bottle...

This Diamine Grey though really looks like a pencil...

Did I make the wrong choice?

I bought this ink "just because I didn't have it". Har, har, but true. I had always thought -- along with a few other members -- that Diamine's Graphite is maybe even more pencil-like. This (Diamine's Graphite) does have IMO a very slight tough of pencil-lead-greenliness but we'll soon see who wins here....

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

It's not too shabby with a stub nib (note the last line), shading mostly near the end of the stroke, but compared to the other diamine inks, it can be a bit of a hard startup.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/rhodia_april_6_2014.jpg

Since it's a tad wet like you said, I find that in nibs less than medium, it just looks like a close-black.

thesunshine

You know, Noodler's Lexington Grey was the other ink I was considering when choosing a grey. I would be interested to see a comparison for that ink as well to see if I made the right decision!

In the meantime, I've attached some images of Diamine Grey operating 'in the field' as it were. It has been my go to ink for writing study notes because of its fuss-free behaviour... and because it goes so well in my grey notebooks.

post-87750-0-40289900-1397819888.jpg

post-87750-0-78912200-1397819923.jpg

It's quite nice out here in the sunshine...

I've been making my own grey by diluting HoD, but if I decide I want a different kind of grey, this might be the ink I'll be looking for... :-) Thanks for the great review!

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

theverdictis

This forum is so useful and helpful; this is my small contribution.

I noticed a few posts of late comparing grey ink to the colour of writing with a pencil. So I decided to do an actual comparison (see the images below). Diamine Grey really does look quite close to the colour of a pencil lead (of course, this will depend as well on the pencil used and how hard you press - I used a 2B lead for my comparison). This is my only grey ink, but I'd be interested to see how other grey inks compare... after I've finished off this bottle first of course!

I'm the type of person that uses a black ink more than any other colour, but I find this ink is a nice change for personal note-taking.

All ink components of the review were written using a LAMY 2000 with a fine nib.

attachicon.gifDiamine Grey 4.JPGattachicon.gifDiamine Grey 2.JPGattachicon.gifDiamine Grey 3.JPG

Really nice colour ink and also thanks for the review. Also I really like your handwriting style :D

Ben

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne