Montblanc 90Th Anniversary Meisterstück Ef Nib In Beijing

Tom Kellie

~ Over 25 years ago a friend in Central California presented a 149 Meisterstück 14K M nib fountain pen to me. Not realizing the magnitude of the gift, it was put away, unused during the following decades. I've lived and worked in Beijing for nearly fifteen years, with the pen stored away in a packing box. Just over one year ago an article referring to the high quality standards of Montblanc pens sparked my low-wattage memory. After finding the faded white presentation box, the forgotten 149 was cleaned, filled with dark blue Montblanc ink and used to write steady, clear lines.

Happiness!

Last Autumn Ms. Meng and the friendly staff at the Montblanc Boutique in Beijing's Malls at Oriental Plaza, by Wangfujing Street, arranged for the purchase of an EF nib 149 which was so satisfying that two months later an additional EF was bought. As much as I'd enjoyed using four Lamy Safari pens for taking notes and correcting student research papers, the Montblanc 149 EF nibs were ideal for my needs.

After finding The Fountain Pen Network I read many helpful articles covering a wide range of topics, finding it to be an effective means of educating myself on the care and feeding of quality writing instruments. When a recent thread discussed the pending release of the 90th Anniversary Meisterstück commemorative pens, I met with Ms. Meng at the Beijing Montblanc Boutique to see if a special order of an EF nib might be feasible. In China several nib sizes aren't customarily stocked, including the EF nib. This afternoon a text message announced the arrival of the 90th Anniversary Meisterstück EF Nib pen at the Boutique, far more rapidly than expected.

As a small means of expressing my appreciation to those FPN Montblanc Forum members whose comments I've read, here are several small images of the pen purchase, the pen itself, and comparison shots with the other three 149 pens. Full-sized versions may be viewed in my Zenfolio Gallery, http://tomkellie.zenfolio.com/p834972162.

The new 90th anniversary nib is exceptional, with steady flow, superb feedback, and a pleasing thin line. The pen's red gold-plating is more subdued than in photos I've seen. The slightly reddish color cast of the metal is apparent, but not especially pronounced. The single metal nib appears more brilliantly golden than I'd expected, which probably reflects my lack of experience.

All in all a highly satisfactory purchase.

post-112103-0-04585600-1396609664_thumb.jpg

post-112103-0-03898700-1396609667_thumb.jpg

post-112103-0-32294000-1396609669.jpg

post-112103-0-93105400-1396609674.jpg

post-112103-0-92059100-1396609676.jpg

post-112103-0-70593200-1396609680_thumb.jpg

post-112103-0-17488400-1396609683.jpg

post-112103-0-21396000-1396609686_thumb.jpg

post-112103-0-62037100-1396630737_thumb.jpg

post-112103-0-65751600-1396630742_thumb.jpg

post-112103-0-03492100-1396630748.jpg

post-112103-0-39345800-1396631812_thumb.jpg

post-112103-0-86853800-1396682492_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tom Kellie

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Chrissy

• KJY

• bernardo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's lovely. I wish I could afford to buy it. :wub:

I have been trying to establish if it is a similar price to the regular edition or if it costs a lot more. I haven't received that information yet.

Edited by Chrissy

Congrats on your beautiful pens. Thanks for the photos. The 90th Anniversary is really a stunning pen.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

Thank you so much for sharing your story and the pics.

Maybe it is good to remove the pic of the white box with the modelnumber?

It also mentions your own id-number of your pen if I remember it correctly.

My preferred supplier (no affiliation just a very happy customer):

Appelboom

Maybe it is good to remove the pic of the white box with the modelnumber?

It also mentions your own id-number of your pen if I remember it correctly.

That sounds like a plan. We don't need to give anyone who might want to copy one any ideas unnecessarily

~ KJY and Chrissy: Thanks so much for your prudent suggestion. Through the process of deleting the photo of the box with the pen ID number, improving a few flaws in the text and inserting several words, I learned how to edit an FPN post.

Chrissy: As to price, it was ever-so-slightly greater than what had been paid for the two 149 EF Meisterstück pens in September and November of last year. Essentially the same price.

It bears mentioning that using it tonight on student homework the remarkable tensile balance of the pen has been apparent. It's so tightly wrought that the slightest grain on the desk is perceptible by the finger tips.

What a joy when writing – the sense of control and responsiveness being as optimal as one might desire. I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. The ‘90’ on the nib has a jaunty look – nice.

An infant in the house which won't disrupt sleep.

I may add another photo or two, if the file size limit permits, as others might enjoy seeing its colors and nib design under different light.

Thanks for these posts, Tom. I've just spoken with my Montblanc boutique and they have all the nib sizes. I haven't seen one in person yet, but it's very nice to see yours here -- next best thing! Appreciative...

It's lovely. I wish I could afford to buy it. :wub:

I have been trying to establish if it is a similar price to the regular edition or if it costs a lot more. I haven't received that information yet.

In the US it is 20 dollars more than the regular 149. In the EU I hae seen it is 20 euros more. I imagine a similar, though not entirely consistent margin globally. I just confirmed the difference in the UK is 25 pounds. Getting robbged a little bit. :(

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I see that you have add more pics! Thank you.

This thread is getting better and better.

My preferred supplier (no affiliation just a very happy customer):

Appelboom

~ Bernardo: Thank you for your suggestion.

A writing sample has been added to the photo set, comparing a quarter century old M nib 149 with the EF nib 90th anniversary 149 Meisterstück purchased yesterday afternoon.

Congrats on your new acquisiton! That is one lucky cup full of German pens :)

Congrats! May I ask if the snow top is white or Mother of Pearl?

Best regards, Kai

Montblanc 13x, #20/25/30/40, 244/6 Green Marbled, 322 Azure Blue, 234 1/2 G/PL, 256, 220, 34.

Montblanc 144G Grey, 146G Green Striated, 146 Silver Barley, 149 (50s-00s).

Montblanc WE Christie, Imperial Dragon, Wilde, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Proust, Schiller, Verne, Mann, Twain. PoA Prince Regent, Morgan...

Visconti Pontevecchio LE, Metropolitan Gordian Knot, Ripples. Omas Paragon Royale Blue HT, Extra Lucens Black LE. Pilot Silvern. Pelikan 620 Shanghai, 800 Blue o Blue.

~ Sunnerd: White.

In the above photo of the pen mug, the white Montblanc snow star on the cap of the new 90th anniversary 149 Meisterstück is visible in the front, where it's between two red Lamy Safari pens.

Edited by Tom Kellie

Does anyone know the significance of the artwork on the box? Is this a design from Montblanc's past?

And I forgot to add -- congratulations on the newest pen in your collection!

Edited by Toll

~ Bernardo: Thank you for your suggestion.

A writing sample has been added to the photo set, comparing a quarter century old M nib 149 with the EF nib 90th anniversary 149 Meisterstück purchased yesterday afternoon.

Thanks! ;)

Very nice. I'm saving for one of these and for the classic edition (the higer range with the special resin) and seeing these pictures makes me want it more again ;)

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

~ After four days of using the 90th anniversary 149 Meisterstück fountain pen with an EF nib, another benefit has become apparent.

The EF nib is especially taut, with optimal feedback, such that an above average level of control of relatively small pen strokes is possible.

That's useful, especially when writing on a fairly small scale, such as notes on a manuscript. It also works well for Chinese characters, ‘中文’, which often require subtle differentiation in strokes.

Attached is another writing sample, once again comparing a quarter century old M nib 149 with the EF nib 90th anniversary 149 Meisterstück.

The Chinese phrase has been written twice with the EF nib, once at a standard size and the other at a reduced scale. The small characters retain legibility thanks to the precision control possible with the EF nib.

A pleasing writing experience, with broad usability, is possible with the 90th anniversary 149 Meisterstück fountain pen. It won't be in a rotation, but will be a daily use tool.

The ‘90’ on the upper nib surface isn't jarring, but instead imparts a special feeling that enhances the pleasure of writing with it.

post-112103-0-24805300-1396950559_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tom Kellie