The Gama Kambar

hari317

The Kambar was born out of my desire to have a thick, absolutely pure flat ends pen. The problem with such pens is that if the exterior is a pure cylinder, the section to barrel interface will have an irritating step. To avoid this, I had the cap diameter increased slightly.

The pen was manufactured for me by Gem and Company in Madras. The owner of Chennai based ASApens.in was the interface between me and Pratap (Owner of Gem and Co.), without his help this pen could not have been made.

The pen has the name Kambar, a honorific version of the name Kamban, the name of the medieval Tamil Poet and author of the Tamil version of the epic Ramayana, known as Kambaramayanam.

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/GamaKambar/IMG_9720.jpg

The stock 35mm (German designation No. 6 ) nibs

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/GamaKambar/IMG_9721.jpg

The pens dimensions are as under:

Capped: 161mm
Open: 126mm+24mm or 28mm depending on the nib fitted, will come to that in a bit.
Section dia: 13mm-15mm, tapered.
Section's gripping length: 22mm
Barrel dia: 18mm
Cap dia: 19mm

I have to admit that this pen is inspired by my wonderful Dani Trio Sho Genkai, but without the shutoff valve coming in the way:

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/GamaKambar/IMG_9729.jpg

But the Dani Trio has a 40mm gold nib installed, so I also arranged a version of the Kambar featuring a 40mm nib unit from the M1000:

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/GamaKambar/IMG_9730.jpg

The nibs: Stock IPG, Sho Genkai, M1000 installed

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/GamaKambar/IMG_9732.jpg

Cheers!

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• Scribblesoften

• dallasjarrell

• Tinjapan

Those are very interesting and beautiful pens! I like your idea of the almost purely cylindrical pen and thicker cap.

Flat tops are my choice of pen as well.

Thanks for sharing.

A winning combination our Hari, ASA pens and Gem and Company. The pen looks great. I hope Mr. Subramaniam offers a version on his site.

Those are very interesting and beautiful pens! I like your idea of the almost purely cylindrical pen and thicker cap.

Flat tops are my choice of pen as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. True, In fact, before arriving at the name Kambar for the pen, the project name of the pen was simply the PFT for "Pure Flat Top".

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

A winning combination our Hari, ASA pens and Gem and Company. The pen looks great. I hope Mr. Subramaniam offers a version on his site.

Thank you, I am glad people like the idea of a severe flat top pen.

A postable variant, but still retaining the Pure Flat top shape is being designed and produced as we speak, it is into its third design tweak already. More in a few weeks :)

The cylindrical body would support a piston filling system, hint, hint.

The cylindrical body would support a piston filling system, hint, hint.

Oh, I did attempt(very hard) to convince Gem to make that. Also provided them with some ready made drop in Schmidt Piston mechanisms. Lets just leave it at "it was a glorious failure". If it has to be made,... I will have to stand at the lathe and make it myself.

Edited by hari317

Thank you, I am glad people like the idea of a severe flat top pen.

A postable variant, but still retaining the Pure Flat top shape is being designed and produced as we speak, it is into its third design tweak already. More in a few weeks :)

Do share!

A good project indeed Hari. Lovely picture. Longer than Dani! A big guy. Please do share new developments .

Brown mottled looks nice even with stock nib.

Best.

Abhik

Oye Hari...wonderful...best of both worlds...and what a solid looking pen...!! copyright copyright...ha ha ha...

So, when are you going to spend time by the lathe...I feel that would be worth your/our while...

That's the way to go...continue the good work, Hari...

Jai

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

A good project indeed Hari. Lovely picture. Longer than Dani! A big guy. Please do share new developments .

Brown mottled looks nice even with stock nib.

Best.

Abhik

thank you Abhik, of course, I will share pictures as and when feasible.

Oye Hari...wonderful...best of both worlds...and what a solid looking pen...!! copyright copyright...ha ha ha...

So, when are you going to spend time by the lathe...I feel that would be worth your/our while...

That's the way to go...continue the good work, Hari...

Jai

:lol:

Thanks Jai.

The pen looks great. I hope Mr. Subramaniam offers a version on his site.

ASA should offer a "Make Your Own Pen" on its site

(i hope soon)

Edited by a_m

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

Beautiful pens! A worthy contender to the Deccan M1000!

Knowing the pens intimately, I would proudly say the job on this one is better. :)