My New Faber Castell (Carbon Fiber) Basic W/ F Nib :p

KBeezie

When in doubt I try to lean more towards what I don't have a lot of, like for me, depending on whose broad it is, it may be a tad too big for normal writing with me so I like to go kind of middle of the road, that what I did when I got another Goulet Nib, grabbed a medium because I already have a EF and a 1.5mm of the same brand of nibs.

:P And honestly if it were possible I would have stuck that faber-castell nib onto my Monteverde. But the faber-castell's body isn't too bad, the rubberized section is decent, and I don't feel like I'm going to snap the pen in half.

I bought this pen today @ Hyatts' in Clarence (Buffalo store is closed Sundays) for $45 and they were nice enough to put an order in for me on that converter you mentioned. Took your advice and went with the M nib. It feels great in the hand unposted - (the cap makes it a little too long) - finish is lovely and that nib is something from just a quick dip. A full ink job will have to wait till that convertor arrives. Thanks once again!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• h.farmawi

• maverink

• shawndp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought this pen today @ Hyatts' in Clarence (Buffalo store is closed Sundays) for $45 and they were nice enough to put an order in for me on that converter you mentioned. Took your advice and went with the M nib. It feels great in the hand unposted - (the cap makes it a little too long) - finish is lovely and that nib is something from just a quick dip. A full ink job will have to wait till that convertor arrives. Thanks once again!

A note on the converter, it may feel a little loose going in all the way, and when you slide the barrel on it may seem snug as if just barely enough girth to slide the converter in. There's a spring at the bottom of the barrel that prevents the converter from coming loose and falling out. Just be slow removing the barrel when there's a converter installed, or you might pull the converter out of the section if you pull it off at an angle or too fast.

It does seem to have a decent ink volume compared to most of my other converters, though I initially syringe filled it because the pen was already inked with a waterman intense black, and I simply transferred the content of the cartridge to the converter via syringe (emptied out one from my Jinhao X450 cartridge as well, with bout 1.5ml left over from the two that I put aside in a vial).

Just a follow up in regards to converters.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/fabercastell_basic/converter.jpg

1) Is the 'standard international' I purchased from GouletPens that wouldn't fit down the barrel of the BASIC

2) Is one of the similar size converter from a Chinese pen that wouldn't fit

3) A Monteverde Mini Converter that does fit

4) A converter from a Yiren 3220, nearly identical to that found in a Jinhao 611, both of which will fit

5) Finally the Faber-Castell Branded #148785 converter

Mainly if you can shave the thickness down to where it doesn't have that silver band in the back blocking up the barrel, then it'll fit, so ones that look like #3 and #4 are very safe bets since they're no thicker than a standard international cartridge.

Nice review of a smooth writer well I found the pen heavy since I have been using plastic and ebonite pens maybe I am biased but the nib is good.

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

Just a follow up in regards to converters.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/fabercastell_basic/converter.jpg

1) Is the 'standard international' I purchased from GouletPens that wouldn't fit down the barrel of the BASIC

2) Is one of the similar size converter from a Chinese pen that wouldn't fit

3) A Monteverde Mini Converter that does fit

4) A converter from a Yiren 3220, nearly identical to that found in a Jinhao 611, both of which will fit

5) Finally the Faber-Castell Branded #148785 converter

Mainly if you can shave the thickness down to where it doesn't have that silver band in the back blocking up the barrel, then it'll fit, so ones that look like #3 and #4 are very safe bets since they're no thicker than a standard international cartridge.

looked for this Faber-Castell FP here but didnt find it were all sold they said, they didnt bring that much they said....... :/

what is that pen with the converter #1 ?

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

looked for this Faber-Castell FP here but didnt find it were all sold they said, they didnt bring that much they said....... :/

what is that pen with the converter #1 ?

Hrm depends on 'where', I ordered mine directly from Faber-Castell ( http://www.fabercastell.com/design/products/basic ), though they don't have the converter available for direct ordering (seems you have to call em up with the part number).

Thats the Jinhao X750 section with a Monteverde Black Fine nib on it.

From this Pen (shown with a Goulet 2-tone Extra-Fine, which is now on my Monteverde Invincia Deluxe Nighthawk):

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/intro/x750_ef.jpg

Nice review of a smooth writer well I found the pen heavy since I have been using plastic and ebonite pens maybe I am biased but the nib is good.

You have the Carbon Fiber or one of the lower priced metal ones?
Edited by KBeezie

Hrm depends on 'where', I ordered mine directly from Faber-Castell ( http://www.fabercastell.com/design/products/basic ), though they don't have the converter available for direct ordering (seems you have to call em up with the part number).

Thats the Jinhao X750 section with a Monteverde Black Fine nib on it.

From this Pen (shown with a Goulet 2-tone Extra-Fine, which is now on my Monteverde Invincia Deluxe Nighthawk):

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/intro/x750_ef.jpg

You have the Carbon Fiber or one of the lower priced metal ones?

i looked for it on the local pen shops here since i like to hold it before i buy it, to buy a pen online is my last choice.

Thanks for the answer :)

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

In regards to some rumor about the BASIC not even taking their own converters anymore (meaning only cartridges officially), I touched base with someone at Faber-Castell:

Dear Mr. Blessing:

I'm following up with you to confirm that all BASIC fountain pens in our inventory do accept the Design Converter. However, I am still awaiting confirmation from Germany that this is still the case elsewhere and will be sure to follow-up with you once I have received this information.
Please let me know if I can assist any further as I will surely do my best to help.
Sincerely,
Michelle O'Meara
Faber-Castell USA
Consumer Relations
So far as they know, their own converter still works with the BASIC (it's just narrow for most converters), but I'll followup to see if manufacture wise if they've changed this (a third party skinny one would still work).
This question was prompted because CultPens which do sell FC's own converter said it wasn't available for the BASIC because of design changes not allowing it to work.

The response I got back regarding the crack:

Dear Mr. Blessing:
Thank you for your interest in Faber-Castell and the Design Brand.
I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing a problem with your instrument. Please send it along to the address listed below for assessment/repairs covered under your warranty.
Address:
Faber-Castell USA
Attn: Repairs
9450 Allen Drive, Ste. B
Cleveland, OH 44125
Please include a note indicating what the problem is exactly and within the note, please include your return shipping address, daytime phone number and email address.
Please send repairs in a protected, traceable fashion. Faber-Castell is not responsible for items lost or damaged prior to receipt. Please allow up to 45 business days – barring any unforeseen issues – for standard repair processing.
Please let me know if I can assist any further as I will surely do my best to help.
Sincerely,
Michelle O’Meara
Faber-Castell USA
Consumer Relations

45 days? They going to replace the section grip and then just have it crack on me again? I can't use this pen knowing that it can't withstand NORMAL daily usage.

Their FaberCastell.com website has no text regarding warranty or returns (and one wasn ot included in the box, just instruction manual), and the ShopaTron website (the 3rd party cart they seem to use) requires that the return be in brand new condition and that they must receive it within 30 days for a refund, but I can't claim brand new because of a manufacture's defect. And I'm gentle with my pens, I know not to do things like overtighten a pen (otherwise I'd have a few broken vintage pens too, but this is the only one I own so far, new that has developed an issue).

Ohh dear sad to see the crack but my basic seems to be going strong no cracks so far.. Hope once they replace the part things should be fine

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

According to someone at Appointments ("The Business Store"), that I reached out to for some alternate assistance, it was said:

I can tell you that this is an unusual problem. But I did run into a batch were the grip section was defective. This may be from that batch.

Originally contacted them because after hearing from FC that it may take up to 45 days to repair, and I haven't even had the pen past the return period (and shopmatic won't deal with a not 'brand new' condition pen for return), I thought I would reach out to the store that the pen was shipped from. (since seems the way FC sells is they submit an order to whatever retailer is closest to be shipped from).

So after a few short emails back and forth with Doug @ Appointments seems he'll have the matter resolved rather quickly as he's mailing me a replacement pen (another Fine Nib BASIC, but allowed me the option of going with the leather version instead of the carbon fiber), along with a shipping label for the cracked Carbon where I can just put that back into the same packaging and mail it back to them.

Needless to say, dealing with them (Appointments) instead of Faber-Castell despite that I ordered it directly from F-C was a much more prompt and satisfying experience. Got more done communicating with the retailer in one day then I probably would have gotten accomplished dealing with Faber-Castell in a few weeks. Come monday (or more likely tuesday based on my experience), FC will have responded to my return policy question.

Note: If I simply wanted a refund, I would have to still go thru Faber-Castell directly, as Appointments was only able to offer an exchange.

glad that they have agreed to replace the pen. enjoy u r leather basic pen do post your review

And all indian pens

• 4 weeks later...

Just got done with pictures, and that will be in it's own thread.

Congratulations for your pen. I have one and is the smoothest steel nib I own. My two cents: I have a Visconti converter installed in this pen and works wonderful. Regards

That's exactly how I feel about it :)

Super smooth nib, but way too heavy for longer writing....

• 3 months later...
I have Faber-Castell Basic Carbon fountain pen (148821) and I have bought a converter (P95845

Design Faber Castell 148785). Does not fit. The barrel of the pen is too narrow and converter jams in it.

I have Faber-Castell Basic Carbon fountain pen (148821) and I have bought a converter (P95845

Design Faber Castell 148785). Does not fit. The barrel of the pen is too narrow and converter jams in it.

Then you likely have one of the bad batch of barrels, here's an email response I received back from them in May:

Dear Mr. Blessing,

Thank you. The Design converter 148785 will fit into the BASIC Fountain Pens. I am working with my web team to have that detail added.

I have confirmed with my colleagues in Germany, that there was a bad production batch of smaller barrels at one point. This is what's causing all of the confusion. If the pen user finds themselves with the pen that will not allow the converter and they wish to use one, we will take care of the problem.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Sincerely,

Renée Lamb

Faber-Castell USA

Consumer Relations

www.fabercastell.com

800-311-8684

The confusion she speaks of is when people were speculating that the BASIC was going to be cartridge-only when even their own converter would not fit. So you may have to work with the retailer you bought the pen from to get a replacement.

Edited by KBeezie