Your First Nakaya

alarickc

The pens in this thread are gorgeous!

I agree, some fantastic images of some truly wonderful pens. Seriously drool-worthy!

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alarickc

• Dr. Joseph M. Vitolo

• Earthdawn

• LuckyKate

Beautiful! Is that a music nib on the gorgeous pen below? It looks like it's been ground to a cursive italic? How do you like it? Is it smooth? I'm debating the nib for my second Nakaya. I love broad nibs, but I'd like to try something a little different from the BB ground to a stub that's on my unpolished shu. So either the music nib or a BB stubbed--but wider than the .7 that's on the pen I have (which I absolutely love).

More Nakayas from my collection.

9620990561_02bb0ccd4d_b.jpg

Edited by LuckyKate

More Nakayas from my collection.

9620990561_02bb0ccd4d_b.jpg

I still don't have the knack of telling: is that the kuro tamenuri finish or aka tamenuri finish, or something else?

Beautiful! Is that a music nib on the gorgeous pen below? It looks like it's been ground to a cursive italic? How do you like it? Is it smooth? I'm debating the nib for my second Nakaya. I love broad nibs, but I'd like to try something a little different from the BB ground to a stub that's on my unpolished shu. So either the music nib or a BB stubbed--but wider than the .7 that's on the pen I have (which I absolutely love).

It is a music nib, not ground but adjusted by Mottishaw. It's a smooth and wet stub in real life. Wouldn't try writing music with this nib, though. Mottishaw can grind it to provide more line variation if so desired.

I still don't have the knack of telling: is that the kuro tamenuri finish or aka tamenuri finish, or something else?

It's kuro tamenuri. Aka tamenuri will look much redder, as ethernautrix alluded to.

Kuro tamenuri is black over red.

Aka tamenuri is all red (red over red).

It's kuro tamenuri. Aka tamenuri will look much redder, as ethernautrix alluded to.

Thanks! I am still pondering what to get for my first Nakaya. I am quite sure that I would like a portable cigar, but there is the question of design.

The understated Lotus Flower, hidden beneath the cap, appeals to me in combination with the (default) finish, which I now understand to be kuro tamenuri. Then there's Goldfishes, which is so pretty, but I am not sure if switching to kuro tamenuri finish would be overdoing things. Yet another option is the Gold fishes 2 by "Akatame and Kurotame" technique, which sort of combines the pretty goldfishes and the subtle finish, but it costs the same as the other two combined. Ah... what to choose?! Haha :D

L

Thanks! I am still pondering what to get for my first Nakaya. I am quite sure that I would like a portable cigar, but there is the question of design.

The understated Lotus Flower, hidden beneath the cap, appeals to me in combination with the (default) finish, which I now understand to be kuro tamenuri. Then there's Goldfishes, which is so pretty, but I am not sure if switching to kuro tamenuri finish would be overdoing things. Yet another option is the Gold fishes 2 by "Akatame and Kurotame" technique, which sort of combines the pretty goldfishes and the subtle finish, but it costs the same as the other two combined. Ah... what to choose?! Haha :D

These are all beyond stunning. I would probably get all three--or maybe "just" the Goldfishes 2 and the Lotus flowers.

Edited by LuckyKate

My first one is currently awaiting me paying for the custom charges so tomorrow I'm getting there asap. LOL.

I want my Dorsal Fin 2 in Heki-tamenuri now!

If anyone has a stub/cursive italic soft medium nib, I'd LOVE LOVE to read a review and see writing samples! :) Finalizing my plan for a first Nakaya purchase, so excited....(my other problem....which ascending dragon color??? Is the "blue dragon" version more green or more teal?)

If anyone has a stub/cursive italic soft medium nib, I'd LOVE LOVE to read a review and see writing samples! :) Finalizing my plan for a first Nakaya purchase, so excited....(my other problem....which ascending dragon color??? Is the "blue dragon" version more green or more teal?)

If you check out Fountain Pen Day's channel on youtube (I believe he goes by Earthdawn here) I think you should be able to find an example of that nib modification.

I know I am in the minority, but I have 3 of them, and they are among my least used pens (bear in mind that I have hundreds of pens).

I first bought a Piccolo about 6-7 years ago and although it is by far the best writer of the 3 I just feel (completely subjective) that Platinum nibs are at the bottom of the big 3 Japanese makers.

Now, having said that, I'm not saying that I will not get another one. In fact the Dorsal Fin v2 is trying to seduce me right now. I'm just trying to be honest in my opinion.

the Danitrio Fellowship

I'm afraid I have to agree with you there.

I have a Nakaya Decapod Twist with a medium nib, and I really want to love it, but I can't get past the fact that the nib just doesn't feel as good as my Pilot and Sailor medium nibs.

I'm looking forward to meeting the people at Classic Fountain Pens at the Washington DC Pen Show this year, to see if they can do anything to help.

Scientia potentia est.

• 1 month later...

First Nakaya, only three weeks old, Portable Cigar Kuro-Tamenuri, medium cursive italic.

I honestly think another Nakaya is in my future but not for a long while, not because of finances (though that is certainly a factor), but because this single pen satisfies so many of my requirements in regards to function and beauty.

http://www.ricecracker.net/files/nakaya_sevenseas001SM.jpg

http://www.ricecracker.net/files/nakaya_sevenseas003SM.jpg

Doug

www.ricecracker.net

I love that portable. You don't see many of these or the longs....Ricecracker, what size nib is that? Great handwriting..

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship