Your First Nakaya

alarickc

From down to up (all w/o clips):

1. Long CIgar in aka-tamenuri, soft M nib, reground to FM/0.35 by John Mottishaw

2. Decapod in aka-tamenuri, M nib/ Rhodium platinated

3. Naka-ai Chinkin, "Housoge" Kikyo/Platinum, Soft M nib reground to FM/o.35 stub by John Mottishaw

The next one will be a Dorsal Fin 1 with an italic nib

Edited by Alex2014

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alarickc

• Dr. Joseph M. Vitolo

• Earthdawn

• LuckyKate

Earth dawn. ....

more pictures please this is my grail pen and hoping to get one on a trip to toyko in Sept

My first was a decapod in aka-tamenuri, SF nib. Still not sure after all this time if I love the nib, and the pen is a little small. But every time I consider selling it, I think, oh, it's so pretty, and I ink it up, and can't imagine letting it go.

• 1 month later...

First one! Nakaya Long Piccolo Aka Tamenuri with a Wisteria stopper :) My only regret was the SF nib. At first I really liked it but then the scratchiness got to me. Next time it'll be a SM or B.

http://photos-f.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xap1/925044_1435409473399589_582681317_n.jpg

First one! Nakaya Long Piccolo Aka Tamenuri with a Wisteria stopper :) My only regret was the SF nib. At first I really liked it but then the scratchiness got to me. Next time it'll be a SM or B.

http://photos-f.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xap1/925044_1435409473399589_582681317_n.jpg

A beautiful pen! Congratulations! Katherine

This is my first Nakaya--an unpolished shu, with BB nib stubbed to .7 and an 8/10 ink flow. I asked John Mottishaw to make the nib just a bit smaller than my all time favorite nib on my Pelikan m600 Factory medium.

My pen is a dream to write with-- I really can't imagine anything better than this!

fpn_1405091535__0710141651_0001_0001.jpg

Katherine

I've just made my first order from nibs.com! I cannot wait to get it here and try it, feel it, see it. lol

Below image is from nibs.com

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nakaya%20Pens/DorsalFins/Nakaya-Dorsal-Fin-V2-Cigar-Heki-Usushi-UnCapped.jpg

Edited by RPB

I've just made my first order from nibs.com! I cannot wait to get it here and try it, feel it, see it. lol

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nakaya%20Pens/DorsalFins/Nakaya-Dorsal-Fin-V2-Cigar-Heki-Usushi-UnCapped.jpg

A dorsal fin--beautiful! And the best thing is that when you get it, it won't be "just" a Nakaya, it will be YOUR Nakaya.

Katherine

That brings me to my question, what was your first Nakaya? How did it turn out for you? Is there anything you would have changed, or done differently?

Congrats on your first two Nakayas.

Pictured below are my three.

1) Mini Decapod - Heki-tamenuri

2) Neo-Standard - Hairline black w/Mottishaw 0.5mm oblique nib

3) Karakusa tortoise shell - Chinkin

I do love these pens, yet the only thing I may have done differently is I would have ordered new like you have done.

That doesn't mean I love these any less though.

post-108491-0-40375300-1405122078_thumb.jpg

post-108491-0-27699600-1405122080_thumb.jpg

~ Justifying pen purchases since 2013 ~

My first Nakaya is a portable cigar with a clip. So far all I've had the nerve to do is take it out of its kimono and stare at it. I've put it in my shirt pocket a couple of times but don't feel comfortable having additional pens in my pocket. I guess I'm spooked about scratching the finish? When I purchased it I swore it would be the last one I buy. I'm conflicted, dammit!

I've been eyeing a dorsal fin myself!

Does anyone know if Version 2 is meant to replace Version 1 or are they just two different styles?

I've been eyeing a dorsal fin myself!

Does anyone know if Version 2 is meant to replace Version 1 or are they just two different styles?

2 different styles.

Version 1 has the dorsal fin on just the cap

Version 2 has the dorsal fin on the cap and body

Beautiful pen! Nice Nock-ware. But the wisteria stopper is just stunning!

David

This is my first Nakaya--an unpolished shu, with BB nib stubbed to .7 and an 8/10 ink flow. I asked John Mottishaw to make the nib just a bit smaller than my all time favorite nib on my Pelikan m600 Factory medium.

My pen is a dream to write with-- I really can't imagine anything better than this!

fpn_1405091535__0710141651_0001_0001.jpg

Katherine

You got it! If you had previously announced the arrival, I missed it. Congratulations! It's a gorgeous pen. It has a more matte finish than my unpolished shu. I prefer yours ... not that I dislike mine, you understand.

Use it in good health!

David

Each time I take up mine I feel the same way. The nib is truly fantastic and pretty much perfect for me.

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

Each time I take up mine I feel the same way. The nib is truly fantastic and pretty much perfect for me.

BMG, Yes--the pen gives a really special feeling. It feels so intimate and writes so well.

You got it! If you had previously announced the arrival, I missed it. Congratulations! It's a gorgeous pen. It has a more matte finish than my unpolished shu. I prefer yours ... not that I dislike mine, you understand.

Use it in good health!

David

Thanks David. I did get it! I asked for the brownest/brickiest shu they had at CFP. And congratulations on yours. The variation in the finish is part of what makes each pen so unique and expressive.

I want writing samples, people!! :) (especially stubs/cursive italics/soft nibs) everything is so beautiful!

Thanks! My handwriting is nothing special. I hope that my words are and my pen is a kind of muse. I use my pens mostly for creative writing purposes--though I love the art of calligraphy, I'm mostly an appreciator!

By the way, my second Nakaya, a piccolo writer in shiro tamenuri will arrive in August. I'm thinking about getting a music nib!

Edited by LuckyKate