Interesting In My 6 Pack Of X750S, One Has Different Section/feed/nib

KBeezie

So was interesting out of the 6 Jinhao X750s I have one has a different nib and feed and section from the rest of them.

The black one has a lighter feed, completely round, big groove down the middle, and circular all the way down. Also that feed only fits the section of that pen, it won't take the feed from any other X750 and vice versa.

Also the chrome nib with "Jinhao" down the middle, is different than every other X750 nib I have (which has the Chariot on it), in fact the only other nib I have with Jinhao down the middle is the X450's 2-tone gold plated nib.

I haven't inked the black one yet but seems rather odd that one out of many would be different even down to the section not fitting the other X750s feeds.

post-111162-0-99547400-1396408888_thumb.jpg

post-111162-0-67320000-1396408899_thumb.jpg

post-111162-0-86031700-1396409410_thumb.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• JonSzanto

• ARbldr

• dcwaites

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jinhao does seem to change up their nibs or feeds often.

Though feed wise, it's the first time out of 8 pens that it's different. And everyone else I know with an X750 doesn't have the same feed nor nib. So I just thought it odd.

The one with 'jinhao' down the side is scratchier than the rest so I went a head and swapped it with one of the 3 spare jinhao mediums I have. :P (spares from having replace the nibs on 3 of them with goulet nibs)

I currently have two stainless steel x750's, both have the nib and feed you have in your black one (both got from aliexpress about a month ago). I have two more (black matte) on the way from china, hopefully will get them soon.

I currently have two stainless steel x750's, both have the nib and feed you have in your black one (both got from aliexpress about a month ago). I have two more (black matte) on the way from china, hopefully will get them soon.

Hrm, when you get them, if you can check them and let me know. I'm wondering if maybe they're changing 'to' that grey-ish feed design.

I have a Jinhao 1200 with a big groove down it like the round feed pen you have. I got the pen in 2008, so think of it as the 'Old' feed style. The other feed style is one I think of as more recent and is present on a number of current pens including the K316.

It is possible the pen is 'New, older stock'.

Regards,

Richard

Hrm, when you get them, if you can check them and let me know. I'm wondering if maybe they're changing 'to' that grey-ish feed design.

Got the pens in today, 2 x750s in the matte black, and they have the same grey-ish feed design that your black one had. If I had not seen this post, that is what I would have assumed was the standard feed in the x750s. It is very interesting.

The other interesting thing, this one had a different nib from both of your examples. My steel x750s have the same nib you showed on your gloss black one. The matte black has what looks to be an old man engraved on the nib (imgur link https://i.imgur.com/L0Bx6HU.jpg), I'll also try and attach it here:

L0Bx6HU.jpg

Also got the 5 Jinhao 601 pens I had ordered, so pretty good mail day!

Interesting, and it's not a calligraphy nib either.

By the way after having that one black X750 inked (swapped the nib for which ever one I had that felt smoothest since I have like 3 spare jinhao nibs), the grey feed with the groove down the middle appears to have very very good flow, immediate start-up compared to the other X750s I have.

I *might* move my Goulet Extra Fine Nib over to that one (though I wish I could just move the feed over to my shimmering sands one, but the section won't hold that feed, and can't really swap the section because the cap isn't matched to it).

Interesting, and it's not a calligraphy nib either.

Yeah, made sure of that before I ordered. Got this off aliexpress, the seller had the gloss black, stainless, and matte black for sale, just had to specifiy which you wanted. It is interesting that those are the three they had, and those are the ones with this feed.

I have had good luck with the stainless pens as far as feed and how they feel. I did find the feeds had a large amount of oil and debris when I got them though (much more than say the Jinhao 599). Washed and cleaned that out, and the pen has behaved well. I need to ink one of these up and use it through a week or two to see how they run long term. With the new 601's to try too, I need to decide which ones to play with next (been running a brass and plastic Jinhao 599 this week).

Also that nib you have looks sorta like a Lion. I wonder if it was ever intended to be a Jinhao Nib, or if you actually got a clone of a Jinhao (kinda like how some have been cloning Heros).

Also that nib you have looks sorta like a Lion. I wonder if it was ever intended to be a Jinhao Nib, or if you actually got a clone of a Jinhao (kinda like how some have been cloning Heros).

Possible, but other than the nib, it is 100% like the other x750s I have.

I wonder if Jinhao intended to make these as caligraphy only (the matte black), and some sellers decided there was a market for the pen with a normal, and so they replaced them with another brand nib, and put them on the market.

I am going to look over the pen a little closer to be sure, but everything else is the same, and these matte ones are available as part of full sets with all the colors.

Trying to understand the nib on this pen, decided to try and get a translation of the chinese characters, so I used a couple of different translators online, I come up with 金豪 as the unicode after drawing them into a draw to translate. The two characters are

金 -- Jin (english translation gold; metals in general; money)

豪 -- Hao (english translation brave, heroic, chivalrous)

So I am thinking I have a true Jinhao nib, meant for the chinese market. This has been an interesting thread, and a great ride. I am going to have to pick an ink and see how this nib feels, maybe Antietam will be a good one for this pen.

The two Chinese characters on it are 金(Jin)豪(Hao)

Well, cleaned the pen and inked it up with Noodler's Antietam, and used it for notes today at work.

Normal cleaning, ensure the nib is aligned well with my thumb, just the basic normal tweaking that a new pen takes. I can say, I like this nib. It is a little more to the medium than I would normally use, it is also a wet writer. However, it is a smooth, silky nib. And when I wanted a nice fine line, I flipped it over and it was still smooth and wrote well. Much drier and finer line when flipped.

Overall, I think this is a better nib than the sideways Jinhao nib.

Also inked a Jinhao 601 with Hero red ink, and was impressed with that pen too. I like the section on it, the nib was really nice held normally, a little feedback when flipped over, but a nice writer. The interesting thing, the feed in that pen is smaller, but shaped exactly like the other ones KBeezie posted above.

Those dragon nibs are disappearing rapidly. They were common in 2008, when I first noticed Chinese pens, but have almost entirely disappeared on new pens now. Until last year, I always thought it was a beetle of some sort, but when you spin it around to look at it point down, it suddenly resolves into a Chinese Dragon head. Silly me. :wallbash:

Regards,

Richard

Those dragon nibs are disappearing rapidly. They were common in 2008, when I first noticed Chinese pens, but have almost entirely disappeared on new pens now. Until last year, I always thought it was a beetle of some sort, but when you spin it around to look at it point down, it suddenly resolves into a Chinese Dragon head. Silly me. :wallbash:

Regards,

Richard

Ok, now I feel silly, flip it over and bam, dragon!

Wish it was on more of these pens, it is a nice nib.

• 1 month later...

I bought my first Jinhao in March or April and it is an X750 with the dragon nib with the feed that has the big bottom groove like the black pen in the initial post. So they aren't gone yet, if they are going away.

I also thought it was a beetle, and even holding it point down now I still just see a beetle ... :)

I like the nib and it works very well, although I'd rather have a fine nib.

Edited by mrcharlie