Removing Very Old Sticker Residue

dali3464

Hi all,

I've recently taken possession of a mint/near-mint black visulated Parker Vacumatic, dated 3rd quarter of 1946.

While it doesn't any longer have the two stickers on the cap, it still has the remaining circular residue. I attempted to use cold water and a bit of microfibre cloth to get it off, but it's pretty damn stubborn.

I've done a search of the forums and have tried heating it (very gently!) with a hairdryer, but I didn't dare push any further lest the whole cap light up in my face. Rather stupidly, I tried a very light localised application of WD-40, before realising that it was most likely definitely a bad idea, then proceeded to soak the cap briefly and wash off any residue.

At this stage, am I correct in thinking that the best way to proceed is with some lighter fluid? I noticed a lot of support for naptha, but I think naptha is a North American term, and insofar as I know, we in Australia don't have any sort of direct equivalent. I think Shellite would be the closest.

I'm guessing if all else fails, I'll need to proceed with micromesh + microgloss!

Edited by dali3464
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• dali3464

• slippery when wet

• grainweevil

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Naphtha will do nicely.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Hello dali346

Hi all,

I've recently taken possession of a mint/near-mint black visulated Parker Vacumatic, dated 3rd quarter of 1946.

While it doesn't any longer have the two stickers on the cap, it still has the remaining circular residue. I attempted to use cold water and a bit of microfibre cloth to get it off, but it's pretty damn stubborn.

I've done a search of the forums and have tried heating it (very gently!) with a hairdryer, but I didn't dare push any further lest the whole cap light up in my face. Rather stupidly, I tried a very light localised application of WD-40, before realising that it was most likely definitely a bad idea, then proceeded to soak the cap briefly and wash off any residue.

At this stage, am I correct in thinking that the best way to proceed is with some lighter fluid? I noticed a lot of support for naptha, but I think naptha is a North American term, and insofar as I know, we in Australia don't have any sort of direct equivalent. I think Shellite would be the closest.

I'm guessing if all else fails, I'll need to proceed with micromesh + microgloss!

Tea tree oil works a treat, won't do any harm, you only need a very small amount, I have used it many times on anything with a adhesive residue, with first rate success.

You can buy it almost any where. Woolworths, Coles, IGA, Chemists

Edited by slippery when wet

Being in Australia, eucalyptus oil...? Certainly it will shift sticky residue - only query is whether it'll do any harm or not. Can't believe it's worse than naphtha, though.

Cheers, Al

I thought it a good idea to report back! I bought some Zippo lighter fluid. The ingredients were 'Light Petroleum Distillate' but as far as I know, it's more-or-less naphtha. Better yet, it works! The residue was really stubborn, and I think that it had hardened over the past 60 years into a solid and even attempting to try and lift it with a fingernail did nothing but aggravate me and my nails.

The trick with the lighter fluid was to soak a small piece of tissue paper thoroughly and proceed to rub it in a very tight back-and-forth fashion. I managed to get rid of every trace after a good 10 minutes.

Thanks all for the help!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Goo gone .. That's what I'd try.

You need to be careful with some of the adhesive/gunk removers, even "orange" cleaners - they can eat plastic and damage pens. Plain old ordinary naphtha might take a little more effort, but it works and will not damage most pens. I haven't had anything damaged by it, but always leaving a little room for the odd ball material....

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I have a very old can of googone, it is mostly xylenes. The newer can is mostly light hydrocarbons with some tripropyleneglycol methyl ether and limonene. (Having a room full of GCMSs is an advantage.)

Farmboy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.