Yay Got My Jinhao 159 Today.

KBeezie

Received my Jinhao 159 today along with a Goulet 2-tone Medium Nib.

Gave the pen a good flush with the feed and everything before attaching on the Goulet Nib.

It's a tad lighter than I expected, and the feel of the body doesn't feel quite like my X750s do (they feel like paint on brass/steel), but didn't feel plastic either, I think it's a lacquer of some sort on the barrel.I know inside it appears to be brass or such, just the lacquer or whatever it is caught me off guard in terms of what I expected to feel.

Feels good in the hand, but I wouldn't write with the cap posted, and the screw cap is a nice touch, since most of the larger Jinhao pens I've had sometimes have rather stiff snap caps. (though I'd rather it stiff than too loose).

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/jinhao159/marble_full.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/jinhao159/marble_close.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/jinhao159/amethyst.jpg

I have it inked with Diamine Syrah at the moment.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/jinhao159/write.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• TSherbs

• cleosmama

• coldman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How are the step and the threads when you hold it and write?

They're actually not that bad, I usually write with my middle finger across the bottom of the section anchoring, and my index and thumb are on the top to the side, Middle finger is ahead of the threads so doesn't touch, index finger doesn't touch either at all, and the back of my thumb barely touches the threads but not enough to cause issues.

If the section was a smidge smaller it'd be an issue.

Guest Ray Cornett

How are the step and the threads when you hold it and write?

I have heard some say the threads and step act as a good grip. I on the other hand with all my pens hold my pen so far back I never touch the grip area. I have the 159 and my fingers hold the pen just behind the threads and step.

Well, seeing your Shimmering Sands in that case made me break down and buy one.

Well, seeing your Shimmering Sands in that case made me break down and buy one.

Though all three Jinhaos in that case have their nibs replaced with Goulet 2-tone nibs (Extra Fine, 1.5mm Stub, and Medium).

Enjoy you 159! I have several and have also replace one of the nibs with a GP 2-tone medium. Both nibs are a joy to use.

BTW, where did you get your pen case. I've been looking for on just like yours.

Enjoy you 159! I have several and have also replace one of the nibs with a GP 2-tone medium. Both nibs are a joy to use.

BTW, where did you get your pen case. I've been looking for on just like yours.

The exact same case appears to be around 15-20 on ebay with a insert that keeps the two sides separated. I got mine in used condition from a US seller for about 12, so received pretty quickly and had next to no wear to it.

this one is almost identical except the pens are stored vertical to the binding.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUXURY-BROWN-12-ROLLER-AND-FOUNTAIN-PENS-CASE-HOLDER-BINDER-/251241323514

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/Share.Enjoy/holder-05c.jpg

And this one is identical to the one I have (well almost, my separator is hinged off the right side, not down the middle) from a US Seller for 25$

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fountain-Pen-Case-12-Leather-New-/161008931311

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/6/2/2/8/8/9/webimg/147494720_o.jpg?nc=71

But I know you can get the above for around 12-15 if you look at some of the chinese sellers.

Edited by KBeezie

Though all three Jinhaos in that case have their nibs replaced with Goulet 2-tone nibs (Extra Fine, 1.5mm Stub, and Medium).

I bought both the pen and the Goulet #6 EF (which I have on two other pens, one my Jinhao x450 and the other on my Konrad Acrylic Coral Sea.

I have the Jinhao 159 in black, and the Bulow X530 in "Tageslicht" and "Mondlicht". They are the same pen, with a different clip.

I am not really a fan of modern pens, but these are certainly notable for their size and "presence". They are all very nice smooth writers, but very heavy as modern pens tend to be, with rigid nibs.

http://i.imgur.com/q4K3V6Sl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kIezhhDl.jpg

Edited by johnmc2

How are the not-drying-out-between-writing-sessions properties? I gave up on my X750s because they dried up in a few days.

Edited by coldman

How are the not-drying-out-between-writing-sessions properties? I gave up on my X750s because they dried up in a few days.

Think I'll need a few days just to tell (though Ray should be able to say).

Though I feel like it depends on the ink and feed. On my X750, with a Goulet EF Nib, I hadn't used it in a while for couple days at least and there were difficulties getting started back up even with noodler's black eel so kind of know what you mean there.

Right now it's been sitting upright for about 16-20 hours since I last wrote with the 159 with the Diamine Syrah in it, takes about a single stroke of a figure 8 to start showing up again and it starts writing with only one fade out before the rest of the strokes keep going. I imagine though if I let it sit upright for several days it would probably have the same effect as the X750 as the feed on it looks identical to the X750. would probably have to store the pen sideways if you wish to keep the feed wetter (but probably evaporates ink faster causing it to dry inside the feed instead of just at the bottom of the feed).

Pretty!

Altho I had to do a double-take when I saw the thread title. I'm a newby here, and wa-a-ay not familiar with all the manufacturers, but as a musician I play two Jinbao (with a B) euphoniums (not at the same time) :D

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

I think I might have to try one of these. Is the nib as large and MB 149?

Couldn't tell ya, I never used the MontBlanc 149 it was cloned after. But the Jinhao 159, X450, X750 all use #6 size nibs just like most of the Monteverde and I *think* some of the Noodler flex pens (would have to verify on that last one). So if you did get something like a Jinhao 159, you could easily buy a Goulet Nib or even a Monteverde Black Nib for it, and just refit it since it's a friction fit.

I would recommend wiggling both the nib and feed out first when you first get it, and give it a good rising with some dish soap and water (followed by a good rinsing with some clear/distilled water, and patting it dry before fitting the feed back in with whatever nib you want to use. Helps get rid of any of that residue that's responsible for a lot of the new-pen dryness.

• 2 weeks later...

Very beautiful photos! I also just got my Jinhao 149 (9.89$ including P&P!). Impressive, indeed. The original ss nib on my FP (M) writes a little narrower than an usual M nib. I didn't inked it yet. Without cap, it seems to be a bit heavy, but I don't dislike it.

I compared its nib size with MB 149's one. J159 has a smaller nib, some 4-5 mm shorter.