Sailor Inks For Kingdom Note

migo984

Here are swatches for all 10 of the Kingdom Note store 5th anniversary inks, made for them by Sailor. There are two sets of 5. 1 set named after insects comon to Japan (swatches on the left) and 1 set named after local birds (swatches on the right).

For writing examples and more discussion, see this thread started by Saskia.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/263259-look-what-came-in-the-mail-has-anyone-tried-these/

Verba volant, scripta manent

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• saskia_madding

• migo984

• lapis

Why; thank you for this! Interesting colours. IMO all 10 are quite nothing like anything Sailor has as yet offered. Where did you get them... from Atsu? Whether or not, what do they come in at and how much is the shipping?

Thanks,

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thank you for doing this Migo.

If I could buy either set, I would choose the birds on the right. As a birdwatcher and a member of RSPB, they appeal to me the most.

I do also like the Sasaki though. Did these come to you via Atsu?

(Off topic, I noticed last night that a pair of Blackbirds are nesting in a Pittosporum bush in my garden, for the first time ever. Whhoo)

Edited by Chrissy

Yes I like them - they're a bit different.

Atsu charges $39.99 per bottle shipped. But as I wanted the set of 10 I ordered via White Rabbit Express, who are my preferred forwarding service in Japan.

The inks are 2,100 yen ($20.40) on the Kingdom Note online shop site.

I paid:

10 bottles of ink, including WRE handling and admin was $223

Shipping from Japan to UK $55

So it worked out at $27.80 per bottle.

If you only want one or two bottles White Rabbit's prices increase and are closer to Atsu's price of $40.

ps The box didn't get stopped at customs so no import VAT or customs duty paid.

These are beautiful! If you ever want to send a few of your written samples to test them in the Las Vegas sun, we'd love to have them.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Moreover, you could also send them for a test in the Berlin moonlight..,..

:lticaptd:

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Oh, Mike you are so bad.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Oh, Mike you are so bad.

I'm due to send some L'Artisan samples off to Mike this week. He knows I'll be including some of the grey Kingdom Note and who knows, I might slip in one or two of the other colours ;)

I'm due to send some L'Artisan samples off to Mike this week. He knows I'll be including some of the grey Kingdom Note and who knows, I might slip in one or two of the other colours ;)

Did you find any of the L'Artisan colors to be as vibrant as they promised?

Did you find any of the L'Artisan colors to be as vibrant as they promised?

I don't have many of them but of those I do have, I consider them on a par with watercolour-type saturation. I do like the colours though, especially Cassis and Heurre Doree.

I don't have many of them but of those I do have, I consider them on a par with watercolour-type saturation. I do like the colours though, especially Cassis and Heurre Doree.

Well, I'm glad they arrived. I really thought they'd be so much more vibrant. I hope you do some reviews.

I think the Callifolio inks are a lot like Herbin inks, kind of washed out. Still, some of them are more saturated, and several I've tried are very pretty. :)

Oh my you changed your avatar! I like it. I didn't know it was you until I saw your kind words link.

So, which of the Callifolio inks are super saturated (if you remember)?

I'm enjoying throwing everyone off with my new avatar! :P

I didn't say they were super saturated, I said they were *more* saturated than most of the other Callifolio inks. There is a big difference between those two statements! :D

And some are nice even though they are a bit washed out. My favourite so far is Omi Osun, but the pink Andrinople is really really pretty and more saturated than most I've tried so far, which has only been about 10 of the 34 I think.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Callifolio/DSC09892.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Callifolio/DSC10731_zps522ba4bd.jpg

saskia, I wonder if that pink would match well with this pen; I've been looking for just the right color and the closest one I have, Iroshizuku momiji, just isn't quite right:

fpn_1396474635__no-name_japanese_fucsia_

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Wow, I love those shading inks and I love that pen. Care to share the brand, model etc. Will these inks only be available for this year?

The post above should not be regarded as the absolute and undeniable truth and facts as it may contain the garbled mutterings of an overworked, stressed and nonsensical student who may or may not be on the brink of insanity.
Please regard her with ten grains of salt and stay out of arms reach and at least ten metres away.

Much obliged,
Crazy Cat Lady

Wow, I love those shading inks and I love that pen. Care to share the brand, model etc. Will these inks only be available for this year?

Thanks, the pen is a No-name Japanese flattop, probably 1930s or 1940s, with a flexible steel nib. I've never seen another like it, but I'm certainly no expert at vintage Japanese pens. Here's another pic which shows clearly that the pen is not close to the shade of pink in the Andrinople sample shown by saskia madding:

fpn_1396474617__no-name_japanese_fucsia_

dcpritch - on my monitor, that pen looks pretty red. Andrinople is very pink, not really too much red in it.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Callifolio/DSC10723_zps6a11468c.jpg

Thanks saskia, I have virtually no experience in the world of fucsia and pink ink.

migo984, I'm really sorry to have derailed this thread. I'm blaming saskia madding for rendering me senseless by posting photos of those blue and pink inks at #14 above, but that's nothing new for her - she gets blamed for all sorts of ink-related issues (and expenditures). :)

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

I'm sorry. :wub:

I was going to offer to help find the perfect pink.