Parker Vacumatic Nib Tipping

perth

I just received my Vacumatic I ordered some time ago. I am really pleased with its condition, except fort he nib, which I initially found a little scratchy. Upon closer inspection, it seems that a good amount of tipping had been worn off.

Since I plan to use this more often than not, will I be wearing away at the gold if I use it? I've seen a post saying that the gold nib wouldn't last if there were no iridium tipping.

post-110164-0-07237400-1396272084_thumb.jpgpost-110164-0-45120300-1396272131_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hooker56

• perth

• rochester21

• sudowned

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perth,

I only know of USA nibmeisters. My #1 recommendation is Greg Minuskin for his great work, quicker turn-around time, and reasonable cost. He can add tipping material and customize the nib to whatever size / configuration that you wish.No matter who you use prepare for the fact that the tipping and tuning may cost more than you paid for the pen.

http://gregminuskin.com/

Good luck,

Clayton

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

Looking at your pictures, the tipping looks absolutely fine to me. I rather suspect your tines are uneven, though - that'd be where your scratchiness is coming from.

Looking at your pictures, the tipping looks absolutely fine to me. I rather suspect your tines are uneven, though - that'd be where your scratchiness is coming from.

Hard to tell, but from the first picture it looks pretty thin on the underside. I agree about the scratchiness. If the tines are the least bit out of alignment it will feel rough. This is something that you can fix yourself.

http://www.nibs.com/Article6.html

You might have a point by saying that the nib i a bit worn- out. After 60 years of potential use, this is not a surprise. I`ve noticed that most vintage pens(including my vacumatic) didn`t have much tipping left on the nib. Sometimes this was obvious during use, other times not as much.

The ball of tipping on a fine nib is usually small anyway, so this is not a reason for a nib to be scratchy. They might have more drag, resistance on paper.

I did encounter one nib that was scratchy apparently because of the loss of tipping, but a few minutes of attention with a micromesh made it useable again, without visibly affecting the remaining quantity of tipping.

Anyway, relax- if you can tweak the nib to make it more smooth, use the pen, as i`m pretty sure that it will outlast you(if cared for), just as it did in the case of the original owner.

Edited by rochester21

I agree with sudowed, the tipping seems fine in the photos provided. The scratchiness could be a number of things: misaligned tines, micro-corrosion, an issue with the flow etc.

If you bought this pen and it was described as restored then I would request that the seller pay for the cost of having the nib tuned by a professional. I would recommend Tim Girdler for the tuning and if it does need to be re-tipped, I would also second the recommendation of Greg Minuskin. Both men have done work on my pens and they do excellent jobs, plus they are reasonably priced and have quick turnaround times. However, Hooker56 mentioned, getting a nib re-tipped is expensive.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

It isn't so much scratchy, but a little...reluctant. Still lays down a nice, fine line. I'm mainly concerned about wearing out the actual nib and all that.

Perth,

Thanks for more pictures. Just my $.02, there are MANY others here with much more experience, but it looks to me like the previous user has worn a foot or 'flat' on the nib that is specific to his or her own writing angle. If your angle and writing style don't mimic that, it can cause flow problems and scratchiness. Do a search here on 'nib smoothing' and you'll get an idea of what's involved in resolving this. If there's enough iridium material on the nib smoothing is fairly easy to do yourself if you dare. If not it's best left to a pro.

I can't tell anything useful from the pictures beyond I think I see tipping and a rather fine point.

Nibs are best evaluated in person.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

it will take you years of daily writing to wear that tipping down.

check for nib alignment, and if you find one tine slightly off, pull it up or push it down as necessary with finger pressure (gently but firmly).

you can then use micromesh to smoothen the nib further, if it's still needed. no nib has to be scratchy. i'm amazed how people will bear up with one for years, only to realize how easy it is to fix, with minimal skill but also some care.

Check out my blog and my pens

Perth,

Listen to Penmanila and FarmBoy. I thought I saw some signs of a foot in two of the pics, but when I magnified the others I'm unsure. They've seen way more pens than me. I'm probably seeing things. Tipping material will last for years on smooth paper. If you decide to use micromesh to smooth it, go slowly and check it often.

Thank you for all your help! I'm afraid my loupe doesn't magnify very much, so it's a little difficult to see if there are any tine misalignments.