Conway Stewart Belliver Bracket Brown Review

Diver

Hi D.ick.

Did get carried away initially that is for sure. However, I really do like the pen. The finish, the depth of colour and how it writes. It is stunning, but is not a big pen. I think the smaller size makes it even more alluring, like an incredibly detailed scale model. I wrote until the convertor was empty and I can report that the pen behaved consistent through the writing cycle.

I did find it on the small side, but then took a step back as I have been used to larger pens for a while. I think it compares in size closer to the Mr Pen Italix which is another great writer.

The pen just does not disappoint, it really did work straight out of the box and did not need a flush of any kind, although I had a false start with the waterman brown. Oh dear.... After the ink change, it wrote and wrote. No flow changes nor line width problems start to finish. It does not like poor quality paper, some would mark that down, but I prefer to match things up and get the best out of them. One would not take a formula one grand prix car for a drive on the public roads for example.

In comparison to the Winston with the IF nib? I did not do a review on that one, I saw Stephen Brown's review on youtube already and thought he covered it nicely, he just said it all, but couldn't find a Belliver review on FPN (hence my contribution).

However... In a few paragraphs.

The Winston is a BIG pen. It has a nice weight, will suit medium to large hands with a grip section sized to suit nicely. Size is comparable to an M1000. It looks VERY understated and almost retro/classic. Side by side with the Belliver, they are VERY much two different pens, in looks, size. Finish on both is to an incredibly high standard.

The IF nib. It was slow to start. Flushed with water/liquid soap, then water, refilled tried again. Skipping. Tried different papers from copy paper to Rhodia, skipped and skipped some more. Leave the cap off for ten minutes, six strokes to start. After two refills, small improvement. Very wide line on copy paper large ink flow, on Rhodia, still skipping but very fine line. Quite a sharp nip not scratchy just very defined. At this point I was tempted to return back to CS to go to an IM nib.

Then the light came on, ditch the Conway Stewart ink and try something different. Filled it with Aurora black and that was that. Consistent ink flow across a range of papers and the skipping disappeared.

Do I like the IF nib? Hmmm, this is taking some adjusting to for me. It is fantastic but it is very fine with a lot of definition. It has a very tiny sweet spot, but hit that, oooooh lovely. I guess it is an 0.7 italic where the Belliver is akin to a 1.1 italic (comparing the 1.1 to TWSBI, Lamy Safari nibs). It has a slight softness but not on the scale of the M1000, just enough to notice. It is an amazing nib, but it will not suit everyone.

Belliver or Winston? Off road vehicle or two seat sports car? Two different animals. Difficult to choose due to the differences, the difference is too wide.

Should the Winston come out in the bracket brown (not the classic brown) I will be closing my collection of pens off with that one. That is a pen I will be waiting for and will put my name down the moment I see one. The ends set in black complete the appearance off in such a way, it has to be seen to believed.

Should the Belliver come out in teal as in the Winston Heritage? Arrrrgh. The addiction the addiction! Yes.

On a final note. having re-read my review, I have indeed given the impression I am passionate about these pens, which I am. I am no less passionate about my other pens and I will now ink one up later this week and have a go at another review. I do understand the need for the very structured reviews that others have done, which are far more professional than my own, possibly covering more points, which I have found amazing and informative to a very high degree.

I do impress that I am not a pen expert, but a very enthusiastic one and I have found these forums to be very educational and an amazing source of information. I just hope someone does find my little contribution informative in some way.

D.

Never try and teach a pig to sing: it wastes your time and annoys the pig

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Diver

• warblerick

• MisterBoll

• dneal

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you. I do own a Winston myself...

Your description gives the idea that you would not have merited the Winston all those 10/10s, and that was what I would like to know to better appreciate your description of the Belliver.

Which is the pen you are preparing for review now??

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

D.ick.

Interesting... I do merit the Winston and do so highly. I only had an initial issue with the performance of the nib with the Diamine ink. Having changed the ink, it is a totally different animal. I declined to do a review as I believe the review done by Stephen Brown totally describes the WInston exactly as it is. The only difference (apart from the colour) is he is an advocate of and uses broad/double broad nibs, which naturally performs differently to my italic fine.

It was Stephen Brown's youtube review that finally pushed me over the edge when looking for a top end pen. Combined with the picture of the Heritage version on the Conway Stewart site it was too much to resist. I have pasted the link to the review at the bottom of this response as the review is quite amazing. I am sure people will find it interesting. His enthusiasm on everything pen related is enjoyable and fun.

Again, my review is actually my first and they are my own opinion, not necessarily shared by others. I do offer one bit of advice for anyone interested in a high end pen, that is to go to an actual shop and handle the things in person. I was lucky and based my purchases on what I have read here and on youtube etc, but hands on is the very best way.

Have you done a review on the WInston? I have had a quick search in FPN to see if you had. I would be very interested to see your opinions on the Winston, a shot of it perhaps etc.

Next review, I am planning reviewing a pen I have had for 25 years, purchased about 25 years ago and cost me about £5... Make/Model? Awww that would be just revealing it too early now wouldn't it? :-)

Anyway, I do appreciate your questions, it is nice to have a good discussion on pens, especially when surrounded by colleagues at work who think a good pen is a free ballpoint given as a gift from a supplier. If you have any more questions/feedback, please go ahead and I will try my best to answer. I am still a rookie.

Link to the Winston Review below. Definitely worth a watch.

Dave.

Never try and teach a pig to sing: it wastes your time and annoys the pig