Gold Nibs For Jinhao Pens?

Mark Karpeles

The main Jinhao pens, 159, x450, x750, and many other Chinese pens come fitted with M steel #6 nibs. I have lots of stock Chinese pens and I am looking to upgrade some with #6 gold nibs. Who sells #6 gold nibs? EF, F, M, B and 1.1 but particularly F. I'd consider new or used, provided they are 14k or more gold and in good working order.

I realize gold isn't necessarily a better nib material than steel, but I have ton of these pens and I want some variety in the nibbage.

I've tried Google. Any ideas?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Karpeles

• KBeezie

• magnus919

• vikrmbedi

I'm not 100% sure but I've heard of people putting a gold flex waterman nib into anything that takes #6, but I'm not sure from which pen would be the ones that would fit a #6.

I know on ebay there's a ton of #6 and other sizes of gold nibs, normally sold in packs of 6s, and are usually not branded (they just say "Warranted" 14K).

But I'm *thinking* You're probably going to have to look at vintage for a solid gold (14K or better) nib in that size.

I don't know what a 10k or 14k nib would cost . $50 ? $75 ? For a $7 pen ?

We are fountain pen people. Rationality is not a serious concern. Sounds like fun. Do keep us posted, please.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

try contacting Edison pens or goulet pen

I didn't see any #6 Nibs at Goulet that were made of 14K Gold, just gold plated steel nibs. (I use two of their 2-tones in my Jinhao X750 and X450, and I put the 2-tone Jinhao Medium Nib into my Nemosine Singularity, they're still steel, but have that 2-tone look to em).

I don't know what a 10k or 14k nib would cost . $50 ? $75 ? For a $7 pen ?

We are fountain pen people. Rationality is not a serious concern. Sounds like fun. Do keep us posted, please.

Around 20-50 depending.

But the way I see it, it's like with my cameras, I might spend between 500-900 for my camera body, but it would not surprise me one bit to spend 3x that on a lens, as the lens will survive from camera to camera and it's the primary piece that affects image quality and versatility.

Likewise, just because the pen body is inexpensive, doesn't mean it's unsuitable to be used with a nice nib, nibs on my Jinhao X450 and X750 are worth twice that of the pen, you're basically mixing and matching your personal preference on both ends. And if the pen holds well for you, and the feed flows well, then why not maximize the smoothness with an upgraded nib if the option is there? If the pen itself craps out, switch the nib to a new pen.

Alright.

I noticed as KBeezie did that Goulet's nib section had no gold offerings, but I have written him to ask anyway. I also took vikrmbedi's advice to try Edison Pens. There I was helped by Brian Gray who told me they won't sell Edison nibs for installation into non-Edison pens, but that he has a business at Meisternibs.com that sells suitable ones.

http://s27.postimg.org/y4ojewexv/sixfine.jpg

There I ordered the #6 18k two-tone for $100 plus $5 shipping, more than any of your guesses. The photo above is of an EF of course; mine will be a fine but otherwise identical in appearance. I would have preferred to do without the rhodium prow stripes but that would have required a four-week wait while he ordered a plain one from Germany.

As per Sasha Royale's request I will upload a photo with the nib installed when it arrives, probably in a Jinhao 159.

Please keep posting leads, including to specific ebay listings, because I have not had much luck with my nib searches there. I'd rather not pay $100 per nib if I can avoid it.

Thanks everyone!

Alright.

I noticed as KBeezie did that Goulet's nib section had no gold offerings, but I have written him to ask anyway. I also took vikrmbedi's advice to try Edison Pens. There I was helped by Brian Gray who told me they won't sell Edison nibs for installation into non-Edison pens, but that he has a business at Meisternibs.com that sells suitable ones.

http://s27.postimg.org/y4ojewexv/sixfine.jpg

There I ordered the #6 18k two-tone for $100 plus $5 shipping, more than any of your guesses. The photo above is of an EF of course; mine will be a fine but otherwise identical in appearance. I would have preferred to do without the rhodium prow stripes but that would have required a four-week wait while he ordered a plain one from Germany.

As per Sasha Royale's request I will upload a photo with the nib installed when it arrives, probably in a Jinhao 159.

Please keep posting leads, including to specific ebay listings, because I have not had much luck with my nib searches there. I'd rather not pay $100 per nib if I can avoid it.

Thanks everyone!

Hrm is that 18K gold as the whole nib, then plated with something else on the top like nickel or platinum etc?

I asked specifically about that. It's solid 18k gold and the silvery fore-part is just a little rhodium plating for decoration.

I asked specifically about that. It's solid 18k gold and the silvery fore-part is just a little rhodium plating for decoration.

Nice!

Be sure to follow up in the thread once you get it and had some chances to play with it.

My gold nib has arrived! Time to grab a virgin Jinhao 159 and wash out the manufacturing gunk with water and dishwashing liquid.

http://s26.postimg.org/o2rmin66h/20140328_190735.jpg

Here's the stock Jinhao 159 cleaned, disassembled, and laid out.

http://s26.postimg.org/w6zqndsll/20140328_191541.jpg

The pictures are taken with a Fujifilm X20 and reduced by 50% or a little more in some cases.

Here we see the stock Jinhao nib on top, the Jinhao feed below that, and the gold nib at bottom. It is generally advised to try the feed that came with the pen first.

http://s26.postimg.org/5tpg22qkp/20140328_192204.jpg

KBeezie, welcome, nice to see you again. Do you think there's going to be a writing sample? That's optimistic of you. This is an experiment, after all. The nib may refuse to function in such low-class hardware.

Installation of the gold nib into the Jinhao section was straightforward. That's a good sign.

http://s26.postimg.org/kn43mtybt/20140328_192435.jpg

Let's christen it with Pilot Iroshizuku Syo-ro.

http://s26.postimg.org/t6nhkl6o9/20140328_193117.jpg

At least the tabletop is in focus.