Modern Aurora 88 Large Nib Stifness Vs. Montblanc 146

j.a.j.

I am trying to decide which fountain pen to get as my first grander fountain pen. I will be making the purchase later this year but i feel it does not hurt to start plan this early..

I mostly like pens with stiff nibs. Mostly i use pens for quick note taking & sketching and stiff nibs with little flex work for me. At the moment i am mostly considering between modern Montblanc 146 and Aurora 88 large in Extra Fine nib size.

If anyone is in possession of both i would be glad to hear of comparison of their nibs.

Also, all ideas on other fountain pens with stiff nibs and 10 – 12 mm section width will be taken gladly!

Non notisi signi.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• j.a.j.

• Blade Runner

• Mickey

• Azura

I am trying to decide which fountain pen to get as my first grander fountain pen. I will be making the purchase later this year but i feel it does not hurt to start plan this early..

I mostly like pens with stiff nibs. Mostly i use pens for quick note taking & sketching and stiff nibs with little flex work for me. At the moment i am mostly considering between modern Montblanc 146 and Aurora 88 large in Extra Fine nib size.

If anyone is in possession of both i would be glad to hear of comparison of their nibs.

Also, all ideas on other fountain pens with stiff nibs and 10 – 12 mm section width will be taken gladly!

Waterman Carene

Stiff, smooth, good quality, reasonably priced. Try the stub. Not Italian, though

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Waterman Carene

Thank you for the tip!

After reading about the pen it definitely goes to my list of pens to consider.

Non notisi signi.

Howdy, mate! Did you know that Aurora pens are available in Helsinki at http://shop.moreon.fi/epages/moreon.sf/fi_FI/?ObjectPath=/Shops/14022008-35670/Categories/Taeytekynaet ?

Strangely enough, of all the thousands of pens out in internet, me too am currently thinking about buying an Aurora 88 for the decent size, the unique mechanism, style and lower price than Montblancs. But i have to wait because my desires has rapidly changed so many times, i just may want something else next month. Or i may not want anything after all.

But yeah, instead of ordering online, you could consider getting your pen from the store in Helsinki. Who knows, that way you may get to test the pen before buying or at least see some other models to compare with.

I am quite unaware of Aurora 88 nib's flexiness. Some said it's super flexy but more often i have understood it's rather stiff. Listening opinions is always a problem in internet. Maybe somebody should invent a method for rating the flexibility of fountain pens.

There are other ways than the easiest one too.

Thank you very much for the information! I have to visit that sore.

Most of the reviews about modern 88 seem to say it has a relatively stiff nib which would suit me fine. But it would be nice to hear if it is flexier than modern Montblanc which some do think is "too stiff" comparer to vintag e Montblancs. Universal rating for flexibility & springiness would make life much easier for a novice like me.

Non notisi signi.

Howdy, mate! Did you know that Aurora pens are available in Helsinki at http://shop.moreon.fi/epages/moreon.sf/fi_FI/?ObjectPath=/Shops/14022008-35670/Categories/Taeytekynaet ?

Strangely enough, of all the thousands of pens out in internet, me too am currently thinking about buying an Aurora 88 for the decent size, the unique mechanism, style and lower price than Montblancs. But i have to wait because my desires has rapidly changed so many times, i just may want something else next month. Or i may not want anything after all.

But yeah, instead of ordering online, you could consider getting your pen from the store in Helsinki. Who knows, that way you may get to test the pen before buying or at least see some other models to compare with.

I am quite unaware of Aurora 88 nib's flexiness. Some said it's super flexy but more often i have understood it's rather stiff. Listening opinions is always a problem in internet. Maybe somebody should invent a method for rating the flexibility of fountain pens.

You are correct. The 88 (Large, modern) is not flexible. The 88 may feel softer than a Carene or Duofold Centennial but it is not soft in the sense some Japanese nibs are called soft. It is a thoroughly pleasant and reliable pen, a reasonable alternative to a Montblanc.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

I have an Aurora 88 Demo, 18kt nib. It is the stiffest among the pens I have. The 146's nib is definitely softer although far from flexible I'd say.

I have an Aurora 88 Demo, 18kt nib. It is the stiffest among the pens I have. The 146's nib is definitely softer although far from flexible I'd say.

That seems to be one of the few (or only?) 88s with an 18K nib. Most are 14K.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

That seems to be one of the few (or only?) 88s with an 18K nib. Most are 14K.

I think that's because it's a limited edition (1936 pieces). It's from 2001.

Aurora 88 having stiff nib sounds really good. Thank you for the information!

It seems there is at the moment a limited edition black demonstrator Aurora 88 with 18K nib available although it's understandably much more expensive.

Non notisi signi.

• 2 weeks later...

Auroras also tend to write a bit finer than other western pens. I have Optima in medium and it writes like my twsbi medium. The optima medium is thinner than my pelikan fine. Best to consider this if you will get an aurora in ef.

Aurora 88 having stiff nib sounds really good. Thank you for the information!

It seems there is at the moment a limited edition black demonstrator Aurora 88 with 18K nib available although it's understandably much more expensive.

I agree with this comment on nib widths. I have a large Aurora 88 with a Broad nib, but it writes more like a slightly generous fine width. Aurora broad is the same as Visconti medium in my experience.

There is slight springiness in both Aurora 88 and MB 146 nibs, but no true flex that I've noticed.

✒️ :happyberet:

I will second the recommendation to consider a Waterman Carene. The nib is a nail. And if it is ef, it will write just about forever on a converter or cartridge full of ink.

You can get a Carene for far less money than and Aurora 88 or MB 146, too. And it will be made of metal, which is much harder to break.

Edited by Koyote

88 piston filler = 146 in terms of quality, reliability, desirability.

Aurora nibs run finer. If you're looking for a true XF or a true fine, go for the 88.

Both nibs have nice feedback. Both brands have a long heitage and still make their own nibs.

Both have ink windows, both are piston fillers and their dimensions are pretty similar

MB's B and wider nibs have a stubbish quality. Aurora B's are round, not stubbish. Aurora may offer factory stubs, but I haven't tried one.

A new standard 88 is a little less expensive than a new 146.

MB has a better service network.

Edited by Blade Runner

Thank you for the information!

It will be hard to make the desicion when the time comes, i am still tempted by the Carene also..

Non notisi signi.

Although I can not say I have an Aurora 88 big, I do have Aurora 88 small sterling version with a m nib and Mb 146 with an ef nib. My Aurora came with a 14c nib which is the most soft and flex nib among my contemporary collections (not stiff at all). And my 146 came with a 14k bi-color nib, also gives a hint of flex and line variation. Due to the different design of their nibs, MB 146 gives more line variation with the same effort as input, while Aurora is more smooth (M nib though). I have never try Aurora 88 big.

PS: Aurora 88 uses ebonite feed while MB comes with a plastic nib.

My suggestion? Buy BOTH. I am more willing to compare MB 146 with Aurora 88, rather than with pelikan m800. If you can only get one pen at a time, Aurora first!

Thank you for the information!

It will be hard to make the desicion when the time comes, i am still tempted by the Carene also..

You may consider carene when you tempt to get a Sheaffer Legacy, for this time just forget about it B)

I would love to buy both and truth to tell eventually most probably will – not this year though.

At the moment i am more inclined toward the 88 although "going big" with 149 would have it's charm.

Non notisi signi.

At the moment i am more inclined toward the 88 although "going big" with 149 would have it's charm.

Between the 88, 146 and 149, I'd recommend the 149. It's got a more bodacious appeal. :D