Considering My First Pelikan.

dcohenafp

I am considering my first Pelikan. Can I get an opinion on the "Pelikan Souveran M605 Series - Special Edition Marine Blue". Should I get a 600, or better a 400 or 800?

Also what Nib size. I am leaning towards a F or M. I have TWISBI M( I like it a lot, but a little wet), Lamy Vista F(I like it), and just bought a Lamy 2000 F(Hate it, as it's to course of a writer. I am returning It).

I would appreciate some guidance. Thanks.

<p>New FP Enthusiast. MB 146M, Pelikan M605F, Lamy 2000M, Lamy VistaF, TWISBIM

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcohenafp

• suttong

• brewsky

• dneal

400, 600, and 800 numbers represent different size series. I am not sure about nib size on 400 and 600 series but on 800 it is larger. 605 is a 600 series size with platinum (silver) hardware vs gold on a 600.

Regards

Jeff

If the TWSBI seems to be too wet of a writer, you definitely want to test a Pelikan before buying. From what I've read, they are the wettest writers of the FP world.

Good luck in your search for the right pen.

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)

Your choice should probably be based mostly on size. I find the M200 too small. The M800 most comfortable with the M600 a close second. However, the M600 is a better fit in a shirt breast pocket, so I end up using that size the most. YMMV, of course.

Whichever you get, you should strongly consider getting it from a nibmeister's store, if you don't have a B&M one where you can test drive them. Both John Mottishaw (nibs dot com) and Richard Binder (richardspens dot com) will custom tune ink flow to your personal preference.

Whichever you get, you will have a great pen.

David

As mentioned it depends on your hand size. One explicit, go with a nibmaster. I love Richard Binder's fine nibs. I started with 200's but quickly realized I like the bigger pens. Now I have a 90's M805 and a M800 tortoise on the way.

Love me some m605 demo, this badboy is WET!

I actually just tried an m800 and it feels better in my hands then this one... So at the end of the day, what you need to do is just goto a store or pen show and hold each one, buy which one feels best. I have an m1005 also and it is just too big.

Edited by suttong

If you look at side-by-side pictures, the 600 seems quite larger. In (unposted) use, there actually isn't a lot of difference (I own both). Uncapped, the 600 is 8mm longer and .5mm larger in diameter than the 400. That 8mm includes the nib (which you don't hold) so knock it down to a 4-5mm actual in-hand difference.

Stepping up to the 800 gets you an 18k nib, and a brass piston mechanism (the others are plastic). This also adds some heft.

For the money, it's a toss-up for the 400 or 600. Pick whichever you find most attractive within your budget. If you prefer some size and weight, the 800 is a fine choice (at an additional cost). A lower cost alternative is an M200 (same size as the 400 but with a steel nib). You can add a 14k nib for ~$100, keeping the total cost well under $250.

I would recommend a fine nib for general writing, and only move up to medium if you write in a larger hand.

Edited by dneal

A 400 is not A Small Pen, unless you refuse to post it as it was made to be.... it is standard size. light and nimble. Standard size was standard back when folks wrote with a fountain pen all day long...put it in gasp....shirt pockets.

If you want a lively nib that does something....semi-vintage 'real' regular flex '83-97 or vintage pre' 66 in semi-flex or 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex.....

Semi & Vintage nibs, have a cleaner line......

Modern is a double Kugle/balled tip (fat and blobby)...and is a semi-nail....just like the 600. If you hold a fountain pen like a ball point or roller ball a good nib to have....indeed.

600 is medium-large and has a wider girth, still light and nimble. :thumbup: Can be posted....IMO should, but can get by using it unbalanced by not posting...You can put in monotone gold vintage nibs from '50's 400/400n/400nn into it and have a nib that is large enough to look good...the 140's nib is too small.....and :puddle: really have a great pen.....(Got to remind my self to take the semi-flex B nib out of my 400N and put it in that pen....could move that pen out of the box and really back into rotation.)

Of course if all you are interested in is butter smooth...either of the modern 400/600 pens will do.....you can later buy a real nib for them. :bunny01:

You do have to realize the modern 400/600 semi-nail, double Kuggle/ball nib is made for ball point/roller ball cross over users; who don't have three minutes to learn how to hold a fountain pen...or are not coordinated enough to learn.

I am ever so spoiled rotten with my semi-vintage and vintage Pelikan nibs.

My advice is to look for semi-vintage '83-97 or vintage '50's-60's 400 pens with good nibs. You can get them much cheaper than new and have a real nib.

If you like semi-nails, look at the US model of a P-75 also. It though has a nice clean line...in it is not fat and blobby. It is a standard sized pen, and very light for a metal pen.

800 is a Large pen, wide, heavier....and so much longer, posting makes it top heavy.......If you refuse for religious grounds to post then this is the one for you. '87-89 is best if you want a nib real spring...it's a tad better than the '90-97 nibs.

If you want a nail...'98 and later will give you your wish.

Of course IMO any Chinese pen will give you the size, the weight and a nail nib.....lots cheaper.....

An '87-89 is on my wish list :drool: .....no 800 including the tortoise is not....unless I can find a '87-97 nib for it. Well, I guess I'd take a '90-97 if I could get it cheap...as second choice.

If you are missing a nail in what ever size you pick...go for it.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

What about the "Pelikan Souveran M605 Series - Special Edition Marine Blue"? Is this a good investment and nice pen. Some reviews says it feels cheap.

Love me some m605 demo, this badboy is WET!

I actually just tried an m800 and it feels better in my hands then this one... So at the end of the day, what you need to do is just goto a store or pen show and hold each one, buy which one feels best. I have an m1005 also and it is just too big.

At the end of the video is that a comparison to a 499, 600 and 800 or 1000?

There is a new, unused M600 Blue Ocean listed inthe classifieds right now. Note, you are likely to pay a premium because it is unusual. You will have to decide if it is a good investment, I would say it is no more 'cheap' than any other Pelikan.

Be advised that if you buy a Pelikan from anyone other than an authorized seller you will not be able to take advantage of some of the benefits offered by the US representastive for Pelikan, Chartpak (probably not a consideration if you are not located inthe US). Spcifically, if you purchase a Pelikan from an authorized dealer and you are not happy with the nib in the pen, you can send it to Chartpak and ask for a nib exchange. If you buy a pen, even unused, from a private party you will not be able to use this service.

As for size, whether a M400 is a small pen or not, many people these days choose larger pens becuase they feel the M400 is small. I have several and use them all the time. Very few people complain that an M800 is not large enough, and many choose the M800 because they want a 'large' pen. The M600 is the in between pen, but not very many people think it is 'juuust right'. It seems that if one is not satified with an M400 then they usually gravitate to the 800. As for me, I find the M600 to be a great pen in hand, but they seem not to be as popular as either the M400 or the M800.

The truth is, these pens are all fairly close in size, but the hand is a very delicate and discerning 'instrument'. It would serve yo well to get your hands on these pens to see how they feel. Better to have that knowledge before you buy then after. Don't let your enthusiasm lead you to a rash decision, you almost never come out ahead trading or reselling a pen which you purchased in haste, ... don't ask me how I know this. Get the one which is right for you and you will likely be a happy Pelikan user for many years.

Obviously, your best option would be to find a place where you can try the different sizes. I have medium size hands and I find the M800 size to be the most enjoyable to use, and I also fully enjoy writing with an M1000. So the larger pens aren't exclusively for people with enormous hands, personal preference plays into it a lot.

If the finish on the Marine Blue appeals to you, then the M605 is the one to get. The size of the M6xx series will work for almost anybody and you can always go bigger or smaller with your next pen.

The current 605 is translucent blue, you can find a translucent blue in a M200 but not in the 400 and for an outrageous price in the 800 (blue ocean). Personally I like the size of the M800 but am a fan of gold trim versus the 805 which has the silver trim.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

At the end of the video is that a comparison to a 499, 600 and 800 or 1000?

The end is a white 205 and black m1005 comparison

I've got an M605 with black and blue stripes. I doubt it feels any different from the Marine Blue one you are considering. The comments saying it "feels cheap" likely stem from the fact that it's not a heavy pen. It does not have a brass piston mechanism like the M800 and M1000 have, and users of those feel the brass piston mechanism adds a substantially to the pen that, in their opinion, the smaller models lack. Personally, I find the M605 to be a great size and weight. If you don't have the opportunity to try the different sizes (which you definitely should do if you can) and get the Marine Blue M605, you will likely end up with a fantastically made pen that you can enjoy for years to come.

You probably should try to handle the pens before buying if possible. I have very large (male) hands (XL size gloves for e.g.), but strongly prefer the size of the M150 and M200/M400 over larger pens, unlike many on this board. I find M600 and larger pens to be too big. Consider also the M150 pen. A superb pen at a relatively inexpensive price (unfortunately no longer the US $50 it was only a handful of years ago).

I tend to prefer M or B nibs over fine so that again is personal preference. Go with what you like in other pens.

Edited by haziz

Really, I find most of the Pelikan pens that I've tried (admittedly not the 1000) to be a bit too light, with the exception of the M215 which is slightly shorter than the M600, but a tiny bit heavier due to its metal barrel. This results in a pen that feels perfect in my hand. While I can pretty much afford any "normal" Pelikan pen that I want, I just bought a 2nd M215 in F nib because I love the ergonomics and the way it writes with the softish steel nib. It's closest of all my pens to being "perfect", and it's relatively inexpensive.

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg