Bleedthrough On Rhodia?!?

ajlmarques

I also recently acquired a Rhodia Webbie notebook (december 2013), and was disappointed with its performance. I have had bleed through problems right from the start. Even using fine nibs will still cause bleed through. This is most notable using stub and italic nibs, as to be expected, but the renown of these notebooks led me to believe they were bullet proof, which sadly they are not.

Granted, I have only used Diamine inks, though a wide range of colours, so perhaps that might be a feature of those inks. However, I have been through many other notebooks using Diamine with no issue at all. Even cheap notebooks from paperchase.

In mourning weeds, with tears in eyes:

Tallis is dead, and Music dies.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ajlmarques

• Strombomboli

• msolok

• migo984

Not Good. And I just started a new post complimenting how good the quality of Clairefontaine and Rhodia papers have been over the years. The question is, is this the nature of this particular Rhodia paper/notebook or has the behavior of this particular paper/notebook changed from previous lots.

Plagiarized from Goulet Pens:

"Clairefontaine has been making paper in France since 1858, and Rhodia has been making paper (also in France) since 1932. In 1997, Clairefontaine bought Rhodia. Their products have been long established so the brands are separate, but Clairefontaine is the parent company. The paper in the Clairefontaine notebooks and Rhodia pads is all made by Clairefontaine, but it's not the same paper.

The Clairefontaine staplebounds are smooth, 90g paper, ideal for fountain pen use. The paper in the Rhodia pads (with the exception of the Webnotebook and Premium pads) is 80g, and slightly less smooth, ideal for fountain pens or pencils. That's the big secret! There's really not much more to it than that. There are a whole variety of different products under both brands, which might meet your needs based on your individual preferences."

Edited by Steven

Avatar painting by William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1825 - 1905) titled La leçon difficile (The difficult lesson)

I have now tried a few pens and inks on this.

The only ink that showed some bleed through on Rhodia 90g (on a webbie), similar to that shown in the images above, was the J Herbin Bleu Ocean. Tried it with the MB 146 M, Lamy Studio 1.1mm, Sailor 1911 Full size Naginata togi M and Sailor 1911 M (like a western F). All show a small amount of bleed through. Worse with the 146 and Naginata togi nib - real wet nibs.

The Sailor Naginata togi with J Herbin Rouge Hematite, Rotring Art Pen M with Diamine Ancient Copper, Pelikan M805 M with J Herbin Lie de thé, Lamy 2000 F with J Herbin Perle Noir, Rotring Art Pen 1.1mm with Diamine Monaco red and a Noodler's Konrad semi-flex with Monaco red did not show any bleed through.

Anyone with a bottle of Bleu Ocean care to try and replicate this?

The Rhodia webbie uses Clairefontaine paper. At least, the one I once bought, because I wanted Rhodia paper in a hardcover book, did and told me so on page 1.

Edited by Strombomboli

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

The only time I've had bleedthrough on Rhodia was with Baystate Blue in a Pilot Varsity. I'm pretty sure that was the ink. ;)

--Carmen

I've just experienced bleed through on a Rhodia Seyes Ruled pad using Lamy Vista LH nib & J. Herbin Éclat de Saphir. It must be the ink beause I haven't had a problem with the pen before.

I use the Rhodia webnotebook everyday and i have used my Montblanc 146 with black Montblanc ink and i have not seen bleedthrough so far. Try using a different ink and see if that works.

I'm glad this isn't just me, though it would be nice if this weren't an issue at all. I acquired two Webnotebooks in December from JetPens, and I've had bleedthrough with multiple different pens and inks. Considering the already exorbitant prices of these items, I was extremely disappointed that they had such poor performance. I've had looseleaf paper from staples perform better. Perhaps there were a couple of bad batches made, but considering these papers have been praised so highly in the past, it surprises me to think there would be such a dip in quality. This is the only paper from Rhodia that I've ever had an issue with.

“I say, if your knees aren’t green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”-Calvin

When I read this thread before, I was perplexed - I was just finishing up a dot grid Webbie and absolutely nothing bled through, not even the wettest flex pens. It was a stellar performer and well worth the expense. Similarly I'd never had any trouble with various Rhodia pads. However, I've now started a lined Rhodiarama webnotebook that I bought in January this year and yep, I'm getting bleed-through. Not much, but enough to be very disappointing given that I actually put up with other aspects of the Webbies I dislike just because of the reliability of the paper (bleed-through is my bête noire). Heck, I've just tried out a notebook from Asda that's doing significantly better with exactly the same pen and ink combo. I hope it's a just a blip, but with consistency being the principle selling point for me this is a blow indeed. :(

Cheers, Al