Bleedthrough On Rhodia?!?

ajlmarques

Hi,

I'm using mostly Clairefontaine notebooks for basically everything I write - 90g/m2 , white, very smooth and beautiful for fountain pens. With the large majority of my pens and inks I get no bleedthrough or feathering on this paper.

Because I wanted something with a hard cover, which Clairefontaine don't seem to have in A4 size, I've acquired a Rhodia "webbie", which states to be using Clairefontaine paper, 90g/m2, but ivory instead of white. Both papers feel exactly the same and I feel no difference while writing.

However, with a MB 146 M inked with J Herbin Bleu Ocean, on the Rhodia I see some bleedthrough, albeit minor, while I don't have this on the white Clairefontaine notebooks.

The pen is wet but by no means are we talking BB, BBB or a full flex nib that gushes ink.

I would have expected the papers to behave similarly in every way.

Has anyone seen this before?

And on a similar note, has anyone seen Clairefontaine notebooks with hard covers?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ajlmarques

• Strombomboli

• msolok

• migo984

And on a similar note, has anyone seen Clairefontaine notebooks with hard covers?

I'm sure I've got Clairefontaine A4 in hardback but I'm not at home to check. Have you contacted Bureau Direct and asked them? If it is available they'll be able to help.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Have you contacted Bureau Direct and asked them? If it is available they'll be able to help.

I have never contacted them with this enquiry, although that's where I get all of my Clairefontaine paper. Might be worth it.

Although, on their site, there is none listed.

I have never contacted them with this enquiry, although that's where I get all of my Clairefontaine paper. Might be worth it.

Although, on their site, there is none listed.

They do special orders of things not listed so it's always worth a shot asking them.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Never seen a bleed through problem with Clairefontaine or Rhodia. Don't scare me.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I tend to agree. I have only ever seen Rhodia slightly bleed with very wet pens loaded with troublesome ink. Can't imagine a J Her in bleeding through Rhodia.

Are you sure it is bleeding (ink seeping over to the other side of the page) and not just ghosting (being able to make out the writing from the other page but no ink seeping through)?

<p>Currently collection:<strong>Lamy Safari's</strong> x5, <strong>Lamy Al Star's</strong> x3, <strong>Lamy Studio's </strong>x2, A <strong>Lamy 2000</strong>, <strong>Kaweco Sports/AL Sports</strong> x7, <strong>Noodlers pens (Konrad and Ahab)</strong> x10, <strong>Noodlers Konrad Ebonite</strong> x2, <strong>Hero 616</strong> x10, <strong>Reform 1745</strong> x10, <strong>Sailor 1911m</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor 1911 Realo</strong> x3, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Realo</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black</strong>, <strong>Sailor 1911 Sterling Silver</strong>, <strong>Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice</strong> (M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib), <strong>Visconti Opera Elements </strong>x3 (Amber and Black with M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib, Blue with M Gold Nib), <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Maxi</strong>, <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age</strong>, <strong>Montblanc 146 Le Grande</strong>... Plus I am sure I have forgotten some.

Trying to find a way of uploading images publicly available at the moment. Will post a couple photos in a bit.

Apologies for the poor quality. Quick snaps with the phone but should allow you to see what I meant.

First, the Clairefontaine white paper. Some ghosting, but no bleed through.

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q707/ajlmarques/image_zps75f206a2.jpeg

Now the Rhodia. Ghosting as above, but clearly some bleed through.

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q707/ajlmarques/photo1_zps843814ec.jpg

I've never had this problem on Rhodia, and I've used non-flex and a wet noodle flex with Noodler's, Iroshizuku and Diamine inks. Hope it's not a sign of things to come.

I've never had this problem on Rhodia, and I've used non-flex and a wet noodle flex with Noodler's, Iroshizuku and Diamine inks. Hope it's not a sign of things to come.

This particular notebook was bought maybe three months ago, from a shop that I'd believe turn stock fairly quickly. Tending to think this one was manufactured not so long ago. :unsure:

Hi,

Whilst preparing the samples for my wee Ink Reviews, a few inks showed bleed-through on a sheet of Rhodia 80g plucked from a Bloc 18.

For JHBlO in particular, I found incidents of bleed-though were greater than usual, to the extent that it was tagged with a :glare: on that criterion. As I write with a brisk light hand, I would not be the least bit surprised should those who write with a heavier hand experience more incidents, and those incidents included FP friendly paper.

Bye,

S1

__ __

My IR of JHBlO : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/230460-herbin-bleu-ocean/?p=2470092

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

I'm using mostly Clairefontaine notebooks for basically everything I write - 90g/m2 , white, very smooth and beautiful for fountain pens. With the large majority of my pens and inks I get no bleedthrough or feathering on this paper.

Because I wanted something with a hard cover, which Clairefontaine don't seem to have in A4 size, I've acquired a Rhodia "webbie", which states to be using Clairefontaine paper, 90g/m2, but ivory instead of white. Both papers feel exactly the same and I feel no difference while writing.

However, with a MB 146 M inked with J Herbin Bleu Ocean, on the Rhodia I see some bleedthrough, albeit minor, while I don't have this on the white Clairefontaine notebooks.

The pen is wet but by no means are we talking BB, BBB or a full flex nib that gushes ink.

I would have expected the papers to behave similarly in every way.

Has anyone seen this before?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

I write with a 146 on Rhodia as well, and with a wet ink, hard strokes will sometimes showthrough but I've never had any bleedthrough.

Wit is educated insolence.

Yes, I have seen lots of them, though unfortunately only with their not so pretty design, i.e., blue, green, grey, and so on, with their usual strange squares.

Edited by Strombomboli

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

For JHBlO in particular, I found incidents of bleed-though were greater than usual, to the extent that it was tagged with a :glare: on that criterion. As I write with a brisk light hand, I would not be the least bit surprised should those who write with a heavier hand experience more incidents, and those incidents included FP friendly paper.

I write with a 146 on Rhodia as well, and with a wet ink, hard strokes will sometimes showthrough but I've never had any bleedthrough.

Starting to think it might be the ink.

I don't have any other pen as wet as the 146 inked with anything else besides Herbin BO. But no other combination of ink/pen seems to result in bleed through... :unsure:

Yes, I have seen lots of them, though unfortunately only with their not so pretty design, i.e., blue, green, grey, and so on, with their usual strange squares.

Any of these not spiral bound? Don't like wires in my notebooks :)

Any of these not spiral bound? Don't like wires in my notebooks :)

No, just books.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

Wow that is odd. There's not a huge amount of bleed through going on there, but still.

Will have to grab out my Blue Ocean and give it a try.

<p>Currently collection:<strong>Lamy Safari's</strong> x5, <strong>Lamy Al Star's</strong> x3, <strong>Lamy Studio's </strong>x2, A <strong>Lamy 2000</strong>, <strong>Kaweco Sports/AL Sports</strong> x7, <strong>Noodlers pens (Konrad and Ahab)</strong> x10, <strong>Noodlers Konrad Ebonite</strong> x2, <strong>Hero 616</strong> x10, <strong>Reform 1745</strong> x10, <strong>Sailor 1911m</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor 1911 Realo</strong> x3, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Realo</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black</strong>, <strong>Sailor 1911 Sterling Silver</strong>, <strong>Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice</strong> (M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib), <strong>Visconti Opera Elements </strong>x3 (Amber and Black with M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib, Blue with M Gold Nib), <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Maxi</strong>, <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age</strong>, <strong>Montblanc 146 Le Grande</strong>... Plus I am sure I have forgotten some.

Wow that is odd. There's not a huge amount of bleed through going on there, but still.

Please let me know when you do. I'm really starting to think it is an ink issue.

Please let me know when you do. I'm really starting to think it is an ink issue.

I get bleed-through on Clairefontaine with Herbin Violette Pense. Not bad bleedthrough, but a bit.

Regards, Eric

The flowers celebrated their sweetness

With just our noses

(ericthered junior)