Not Exactly New

MissChief

Hi All,

I've been a member here since September 2013 but have been mostly lurking. Lately, though, with the addition of a few more pens and a few more ink samples, I've decided to explore the FPN a little more. I've been sucked into reading numerous threads from start to finish... great way to spend a weekend, wouldn't you say?

My name is Ev and I live in the beautiful Okanagan Valley of British Columbia. I'm also a member of Postcrossing and Ravelry, where I'm a member of the Pen Fetish Crafters group. At the moment, I have a vintage Schaeffer Lifetime Balance that needs a cap, a Lamy Safari, a Lamy Al-Star, a TWSBI Diamond Mini (probably my fave pen so far), a Cross Aventure, a Noodler's Ahab that's been tossed to the back of the drawer because it arrived (second hand) with a bent tine, and a couple of disposable fountain pens.

I have a shopping cart full of things I'll be ordering from Wonder Pens with my next pay cheque, including a Noodler's Konrad, and a Platinum Plaisir in Violet, among other things.

Yes, this could become an obsession. Ah well, my husband spends his money on cigarettes; I spend mine on pens and supplies. I think that's fair, don't you?

Your life is the result of the choices you make. If you don’t like your life, it’s time to start making better choices.

- unknown -

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MissChief

• RMN

• Lou Erickson

• PAKMAN

Hi Ev, nice to have you aboard.

Well you know your way around the forum by now, I guess.

I hope you'll keep enjoying the forum and do participate, if you can..

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Hi Ev, nice to have you aboard.

Well you know your way around the forum by now, I guess.

I hope you'll keep enjoying the forum and do participate, if you can..

D.ick

I have been, Dick... thank you. I've already asked for help with two of my pens and have been spending way too much time reading threads. I'm finding it both entertaining and informative. Bedankt voor het welkom!

Your life is the result of the choices you make. If you don’t like your life, it’s time to start making better choices.

- unknown -

I have been, Dick... thank you. I've already asked for help with two of my pens and have been spending way too much time reading threads. I'm finding it both entertaining and informative. Bedankt voor het welkom!

Well now... how nice. Are you of Dutch ancestry? Or handy with translation sites? (which I also use sometimes....)

You can never spend too much time on these pages... So much knowledge, and fun and banter, too....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

My parents are from Friesland and that was my first language. I was also married to a Dutch man for 23 years. I will admit to having an ear for languages as well. :D

- unknown -

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello and welcome!

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Welcome, Ev !

My brother recently gave me a TWSBI Mini. I love it. It's a very nice pen, but looks strange to me.

It is small, with a very large nib.

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Welcome, Ev !

My brother recently gave me a TWSBI Mini. I love it. It's a very nice pen, but looks strange to me.

It is small, with a very large nib.

Write with joy.

Thanks Sasha,

The TWSBI Mini IS a small pen but the nib doesn't seem overly large to me. I love the way it feels in my hand but then my hands aren't that big. I was given a Noodler's Ahab recently... now, that is a huge nib!

Thanks to all for the welcome. :D

- unknown -

Welcome! You may be able to straighten that nib, or you could always by another normal nib to replace it. I think it's a #6. Be careful around here, I bought 4 dollar store journals this weekend to try different papers. I can't believe these people have me thinking about checking labels to see country of origin on spirals! (I think I may have it bad!)

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

Hello Ev. Greetings from northern California and a warm welcome to FPN. Thanks for introducing yourself; it's great to have you here with us.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Welcome to FPN, Ev! If you're not exactly new, does that make you NOS? :)

It can be a bit of an obsession, but it seems like a pretty harmless one to me. That's what I keep telling myself, anyway.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

"If you're not exactly new, does that make you NOS?"

Lou, that's what it says above my picture. What exactly does that mean?

- unknown -

Welcome! You may be able to straighten that nib, or you could always by another normal nib to replace it. I think it's a #6. Be careful around here, I bought 4 dollar store journals this weekend to try different papers. I can't believe these people have me thinking about checking labels to see country of origin on spirals! (I think I may have it bad!)

Paul

LOL Paul! I hear you. I work in a print shop and, tbh, I really don't care where my paper comes from, just whether or not it's compatible with my pens. I did try to straighten the nib and thought I had done a pretty good job but, alas, it seems to have a mind of its own and after writing a few lines, it decided not to play nice. It's been tucked away in an extended time out. One day, I'll pick up a replacement nib but, for now, I have enough (relatively speaking) pens to play with. (One can never have "enough" pens, can one?)

- unknown -

"If you're not exactly new, does that make you NOS?"

Lou, that's what it says above my picture. What exactly does that mean?

It now says "Near Mint" above your picture. The title over your picture reflects how often you've posted. The ones here are all pen-related.

The abbreviation "NOS" mean "New Old Stock", which means something that's never been sold, but isn't really new. It can be said about lots of things, not just pens. My dad just bought a NOS fender for his hot rod, for example. Peyton Street Pens, for example, has a bunch of Sheaffer 440 pens as NOS. They've never been sold, they're "New", but they've been in a box since the 1970's and aren't really "new" any more.

Myself, I was making a bad pun, on "not quite new".

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Well, thank you for explaining that, Lou! The pun, I'm afraid, was somewhat lost on me as you saw. I'd never heard that expression before. I have learned something, though, and that makes it a good day. I love learning stuff, no matter how trivial.

- unknown -