My First Sheaffer And Snorkel (Hopefully Not My Last)

KBeezie

I'm somewhat new to non-student fountain pens, so I had done a bit of research before hand before picking a 'vintage' pen to go with, and as per the recommendation of two friends of mine (one of which being the one that restored mine) I went with a Sheaffer Snorkel. It's a nice American made pen that's older than either of my parents.

The one I got here is a Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral (circa 1953 based on some of the insides), won it for $41 when there was only a minute left and I was already annoyed at being out bidded for all the other snorkels (I wanted to get something like the burgundy red or forest green body, but this is nice :D), and then I had it restored by Sean (Write on Time) to like-new condition.

I was pleasantly surprised by the result, a nice lightweight pen that's easy to feel, writes smoothly and just feels classy.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/intro/sheaffer_snorkel_close.jpghttp://static.karlblessing.com/pens/intro/sheaffer_snorkel_full.jpghttp://static.karlblessing.com/pens/intro/sheaffer_snorkel_extend.jpg

:P I love it, I keep it with me most of the time when I go out, just wish I could find a nice single-pen case that I can slip it into for some more protection.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• rafizip

• kpyeoman

• Techi

Guest Ray Cornett

Yes the main difference is that filler system. Glad I could help head you in the Snorkel direction. The Touchdown was my first FP but I am sticking to Snorkels for obvious reasons. Now we both have two! Goulet Pens has a selection of leather single pen sleeves.

Yes the main difference is that filler system. Glad I could help head you in the Snorkel direction. The Touchdown was my first FP but I am sticking to Snorkels for obvious reasons. Now we both have two! Goulet Pens has a selection of leather single pen sleeves.

Yea been looking at those sleeves, I just wish Oberon Designs made pen cases, have always loved their leather products, especially if I can get one with that Hokusai Wave design pressed into it. (They currently don't make pen sleeves).

Very nice pen! The restorer seems to have done an excellent job on bringing the pen aesthetically back to like new condition. You've photographed it well, too.

Very nice pen! The restorer seems to have done an excellent job on bringing the pen aesthetically back to like new condition. You've photographed it well, too.

I was surprised as well, only ran me $35 (USD) to have it fully restored (all new seals, sac, etc), cleaned, polished, adjusted with a 1 year warranty on the restoration.

Hey KBeezie,

Those pictures of your Snorkel are very nice - it looks brand new. I got my first Snorkel about a month ago, a nice Burgundy one (sorry) and use it quite often now. I've always been partial to the Parker Vacumatics for vintage pens, but I have to say that this Snorkel has me looking to get a few more Sheaffers.

Hey KBeezie,

Those pictures of your Snorkel are very nice - it looks brand new. I got my first Snorkel about a month ago, a nice Burgundy one (sorry) and use it quite often now. I've always been partial to the Parker Vacumatics for vintage pens, but I have to say that this Snorkel has me looking to get a few more Sheaffers.

Yea the 'brand new' look was part of the restoration process I paid for. The pen as I got it seemed decent already, but Sean shined it right up.

This is his facebook page, and as I understand it $35 is the standard fee he charges to completely restore (clean, replace all seals/sac, align/adjust, polish, remove scratches/chew marks, etc, and return shipping) and provide a 1 year warranty on the restoration.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Write-on-Time-Vintage-Pens-Watches-Restoration-and-Service/208871225809681

• 1 month later...

I, too, am new to the sheaffer snorkels, with my first being a mint condition grey - with white dot - one very similar to yours. The only issue was that the sac was no longer usable due to storage conditions - but theres a new one on the way to solve that

I think that your black admiral might even tempt me to another one very soon, it is a very classy pen in black - and a nice find for that price :)

Techi.

(ha ha did not notice the date on this thread, never mind)

Edited by Techi

"Distrust, Confirm, then still be Suspicious"

• 10 months later...

My snorkel suddenly has decided that it doesn't want to fully retract after filling it. I had a similar problem before when the nib was loose - not the case this time. Anyone have any ideas?

The spring has probably slipped somehow, and is interfering with the sac protector/TD tube interface. Short of taking it apart and then putting it back together, you can try a few cycles of running the probe in and out to see if things will re-align on their own.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

The spring has probably slipped somehow, and is interfering with the sac protector/TD tube interface. Short of taking it apart and then putting it back together, you can try a few cycles of running the probe in and out to see if things will re-align on their own.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.