2014 San Francisco Pen Show

FarmBoy

Jon

Any pictures of Loren's boxes of Penman Sapphire and MB Racing Green?

I didn't shoot any. I thought I saw a pic of Kernan's giant Parker Quink bottle, and if you can find that, maybe Loren's inks could be seen to the left. I could always take a shot of the bottle of PPS I bought...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• JonSzanto

• Finalist

• ac12

Almost a year late to respond, but the event was awesome.

Infact best part for me was, as noted by others, to hold and feel different Nakaya models and nibs.

Having previous experience with MB's, Pilot and Platinum my original thought was that i'll want a Fine....or rather a soft fine for Nakaya.

But, i'm glad i tried it, but eventually fell in love with the way Soft Medium glides on the paper.

Picked up a my first Nakaya; a beautiful Clipless Blue Dragon Naka ai with Ruthenium plated Medium Soft, custom ground to Cursive Italic.

Came home and inked it with Diamine Blue-Black. I personally feel the pen and the ink compliment each other really well.

I am already planning my next nakaya, it'll either be Sumi Palmet or Sumiko Dragon. Both those pens were beautiful IMO.

Thanks everyone who put that Pen show together as it was a fabulous event. First Pen show I ever attended.

vron

I hope you are coming to this years show.

Lots more stuff; an ink sampling that is overwhelming (500 different inks) and seminars.

Hope to see you there.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• 2 weeks later...

With the SF Pen Show fast approaching :thumbup: , I have a few questions. I hope the organizers are not so pre-occupied with ink test pen filling to answer them.

Will there be any of the vendors attending who will be prepared to do on-site repairs? Specifically, I have a pretty early Parker Duofold "Big Red" with a broken and corroded button filling system. I want it fixed to use or, maybe, to sell.

Are there any meet-ups planned, for example, for FPN members?

Thanks! I am looking forward to meeting as many of the folks I've interacted with online as possible.

David

Will there be any of the vendors attending who will be prepared to do on-site repairs? Specifically, I have a pretty early Parker Duofold "Big Red" with a broken and corroded button filling system. I want it fixed to use or, maybe, to sell.

Seconded! I bought a few random fountain pens at an antique store and one of them was restored before I got it but still doesn't work. I want to know if it's salvageable or not and I don't think I can easily determine that with just photos and descriptions :|

Ink Sample Exchange Post

I have many unlisted but I'm trying not to spam the thread.

I also am happy to provide new vials for samples too!

I don't think anyone will be doing on-site repairs. My guess is that repairs can be somewhat open-ended in the time that it could take to do. Also the parts required to do repairs would likely be too volumous to haul to shows, since the pen tech does not know what repairs will come in and the parts that will be required for those repairs. I think they would take the pen back to their shop to do the repair, then ship it to you once completed.

BTW, this is the 2014 show thread.

Edited by ac12

www.SFPenShow.com

I don't think anyone will be doing on-site repairs. My guess is that repairs can be somewhat open-ended in the time that it could take to do. Also the parts required to do repairs would likely be too volumous to haul to shows, since the pen tech does not know what repairs will come in and the parts that will be required for those repairs. I think they would take the pen back to their shop to do the repair, then ship it to you once completed.

BTW, this is the 2014 show thread.

Yeah, but I should have taken care of this last year. :P

David

Sorry, don't have a time machine to take you back to last year's show. :D

I don't have the vendor list, but from my memory, Greg Minuskin is the only pen tech that I can recall that will be at this years show.

Some of the dealers probably do repairs, but you will have to ask.

Mike it Work, Mike Masuyama will be there, but I think he only does nibs, not general pen repair.

Straits Pens, Sunny Koh will also be doing nib work.

Edited by ac12

www.SFPenShow.com