2014 San Francisco Pen Show

FarmBoy

I am getting excited for the show! I am going to bring a couple of pens to have tuned but I can't say I have ever had a pen tuned in person. Is it proper to have my pens empty like I would when mailing a pen to a nibmeister?

I recall this question being asked before, and the answer was they are prepared to deal with inked or un-inked pens. My limited personal experience is that they bring ink with them. I've brought some pens inked and some not inked to Michael Masuyama. He didn't even remark on the issue.

Now, if you have a pen you want optimized for a particular ink, bring some of that ink with you, especially if it's an unusual or boutique ink.

David

Edited by dms525

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• JonSzanto

• Finalist

• ac12

I'll be there Sunday for 1-2 hours. Doors open at 10 and close at 4. Based on that should I....

Should I go early or later on Sunday? I ask because I've read a couple times the some vendors set-up slowly each day? Is that correct? Will 1-2 hours be enough time to test drive some product at the CFP (Nibs.com) booth and walk around to discover some new stuff?

Here's my to do list in order of importance:

• test write some Nakaya nibs and see some finishes to complete my order

• test write and judge the Naka-ai vs. Neo-Standard

• handle some other brands at CFP's booth such as Danitrio

• learn about and test some Parker Vacs (I want a huge blue one some day)

• Explore various expensive FPs as there are no shops in Sacramento (too many to list)

-------- Secondary things that I would like to see --------

• see some inks in person like R&K Schwarz and Noodler's Blue Nose Bear before I buy.

• Papers, cases, etc.

I recall this question being asked before, and the answer was they are prepared to deal with inked or un-inked pens. My limited personal experience is that they bring ink with them. I've brought some pens inked and some not inked to Michael Masuyama. He didn't even remark on the issue.

Now, if you have a pen you want optimized for a particular ink, bring some of that ink with you, especially if it's an unusual or boutique ink.

David

Good to know! I am heading to SFO right after the show on Friday so I am trying to figure out what to do with my pens. I could fill them full to avoid a leak on the plane or I could bring them empty and just rinse them out before I fly.

OK Basic question:

Do you buy a day pass for the pen show at the hotel door, lobby, or room entrance?

OK Basic question:

Do you buy a day pass for the pen show at the hotel door, lobby, or room entrance?

In front of the Ball Room where the show will be.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

From the brochure, it appears that admission to the show Friday is only with a 3-day trader's pass and for exhibitors. The trader's pass is $60.

Can one go to the show Friday as a single ($10) or 2-day ($15) pass holder?

David

From the brochure, it appears that admission to the show Friday is only with a 3-day trader's pass and for exhibitors. The trader's pass is $60.

Can one go to the show Friday as a single ($10) or 2-day ($15) pass holder?

David

Nope.

Friday is only for traders ($60). This is for early access to the dealers, before the general public on Sat and Sun)

General Public is Sat and Sun ($10 and $15 passes)

www.SFPenShow.com

In front of the Ball Room where the show will be.

Is there be a separate area for those who pre-registered? Thanks.

All registration will be at one table.

I plan to have 2 lines, one for pre-registered people the other for those that did not.

But, I have to see what the crowd looks like when we setup, and how I can configure 2 lines.

If people are already lining up before I get there, I will have the pre-registered people pull out of the line into a 2nd line, once I figure out the setup.

So yeah, for making my life easier, I will try to take care of you guys who did pre-register.

www.SFPenShow.com

This pen show thing is insane. Farmboy already bought a pile of pens and two sacks of seed corn.

FB

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Any pics?!?!

It's going to be strange to actually see pens in person that I have only seen on the internet

This pen show thing is insane. Farmboy already bought a pile of pens and two sacks of seed corn.

FB

What's the asking price on Nakaya futures this morning?

David

I've been watching FarmBoy in action. Not for wimps.

This is turning out to be a great show so far, really nice room, more people (vendors/traders) than I expected. Already purchased a W/E 100 Year Pen (because I've been yammering at Syd since he started the company and needed to put my money where my mouth is), got Mike Masuyama to stub a new Platinum 3776 "Nice" (which turned out spectacular, not to mention spending time with Mike and his wife, watching the work in progress), and have my eye on a couple of other items.

Naturally, all that pales next to being with pen people. This is so fun. Back downstairs to the room, and then work a shift at the Registration Table. If you are in the Bay area, get on over here tomorrow and Sunday!!!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

First day, and my feet are worn out.

It was a good day for ink. I more than doubled the number of colors of ink I have. Doing the ink sample pages will be a pleasant chore.

www.SFPenShow.com

The show is off the hook tonight with music from "The Royal Deuces" and good times with pen people. The SF Pen Show is carving it's own unique personality, and it looks good for the future!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

A special thank you to John Mottishaw who spent the time to make a nib that was writing nicely to one that is writing wonderfully!

FInally, check out the pens that John Marks (Scriber's Pens) is showing. Excellent prices on some beautiful Namiki pens.

I had a pleasant day also, glad to meet you if we met, hope to meet you if we didn't!