Edison Collier Fp - What Are Your Opinions?

abritdownunder

I have two, and they have been inked ever since I bought them. Great pens. May get a third in DC depending on what Brian brings with him to the show.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• graystranger

• KKay

• WaskiSquirrel

• akrohn2010

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love my Collier, got it with an 18k gold nib in Fine. One of my top pens to write with, feels great in the hand, precision made and finished (as all of my 5 Edison pens are).

The 1.1 stub nib is stainless and will last many years of use. A replacement can be bought for only $25, but I would not think the wear on the un-tipped wide nib would be noticeable for a couple of decades, unless you put a bottle of ink through the pen every week, 52 weeks a year, writing thousands of pages with it. Even then the #6 nib can be replaced very economically. Not a concern with me.

If you don't like the converter and don't want to turn it into an eyedropper, the Collier will take the long standard international cartridges which hold a lot of ink. I refill my cartridges from bottles using an ink syringe.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

Mine is Antique Marble. When it looked like Richard Binder was going to stop selling pens on his site I ordered 7 Edison nibs from him, all with different Cursive Italic grinds. And the Collier.

I switch them out between my Collier and several other pens. My Collier is very comfortable in my hand. One of my very favorites.

I enjoy cartiridge converters because I love different inks. Sometimes I don't even fill a converter completely. I know I'll want to change out inks soon. They are very easy to clean out.

I think the Edison Production line pens are a steal. I have 2 custom made Edisons. My Collier is made just as well as the more expensive ones.

You've chosen a wonderful pen. We would love to know what you think of it when you get it. I haven't seen the Persimmon in person. Perhaps I need one of those....

I think the Edison Production line pens are a steal. I have 2 custom made Edisons. My Collier is made just as well as the more expensive ones.

You've chosen a wonderful pen. We would love to know what you think of it when you get it. I haven't seen the Persimmon in person. Perhaps I need one of those....

Green Ink is absolutely right.

I also have one of the custom pens (a "Signature" pen) - the 2016 Limited Edition Stealth Glenmont. As Green Ink says, my four production Edison pens are just as perfectly made as the Glenmont.

You guys are giving me a real itch to get one of these. I've been on an American pen buy phase recently. Got my first Bexley, a Stalwart, in black with a broad nib and like it very much, back in April.

Got a Conklin All American with a medium nib in tortoise shell in June and love it because it's a big fat pen which is handsome and writes well (although this is not really an American pen as it's made in China).

Now I should round out my American phase and get an Edison.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Thanks KK. I'm looking at the stock colors and I think it'll be the antique marble. The burnished gold is too drab for me, I don't like the blue, and the persimmon, while nice is just a bit too bright for me. I wish Edison would offer the Collier in one or 2 more stock colors to include a brown or tortoise shell version.

The pen looks beautiful and you all here have really "talked" me into one.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

The Antique Marble is absolutely stunning. It's modern acrylic, but it does a darn good impression of celluloid. Really classic looking. I love it so much.

I have an Edison Herald in persimmon swirl. I use it quite a bit. My only complaint is an aesthetic one. It has a gold clip and gold/silver nib. I just don't like how the gold looks with the orange. I know Brian will sell me a silver clip and nib but I just haven't done that yet. But in terms of construction, performance, etc. I have zero complaints with it.

I used to own a Collier, one of the production line which I purchased from Goulet Pens. So, I can give you some points from both sides.

The Bad:

It was a dry writer, though in fairness Brian Gray saw my comment on this and offered to fix the problem. Also, I felt that the barrel was a little too big. When it was new, it smelled like garlic, but this went away. I also found that the pen was too gaudy for my personal tastes. It's beautiful, but too much. And I felt that writing with it was the same actual writing experience as a much lower cost pen.

The Good:

Brian Gray is in business to make money but after an E-mail exchange about a new pen, he turned me down on an order for a custom pen. And he was right. I would have been disatisfied. Edison isn't the right pen for me. That doesn't make it a bad pen, it just makes it the wrong pen for me. Not many retailers would turn down a customer! Even though he wouldn't sell to me, my respect for him went up 1000 fold, especially after I thought about it and realized I wouldn't have enjoyed the writing. (I know the filling mechanism and finish would have thrilled me a lot.)

Other things I like about Edison are that the company is bringing back or creating some great filling mechanisms (most of which may not be compatible with the Collier). Edison has very good quality control. While I didn't care for the writing experience, I loved that he aligned the chatoyancy on the barrel and cap. This was on a production pen, not a custom pen. This detail alone is why I kept the pen so long even though I wasn't using it. And, of course, Edison has some gorgeous material.

As to the Specific Collier Model:

I like a little bit thicker grip, but not too thick. The Collier has a concave grip section which accomplishes a comfortable grip with a thick pen. The pen cannot be posted. I don't post pens, so this didn't bother me. Like all Edison pens, the nib is easily changed. So, with one pen you have a lot of choices. I purchased several nibs in pursuit of a better Collier. I never had a 1.1mm nib, but I did have a 1.5mm nib, a Broad, and a Fine. From my experience with other brands, 1.1mm would have been a better width because it is better for general writing. 1.5mm is wide enough to be awkward.

I had the Persimmon Swirl finish. It was beautiful. I had to think long and hard because I was also interested in the Antique Marble finish. I know there was one other finish then, but it apparently didn't make an impression. As far as I have heard, the new owner of my Edison is very happy with it. Personal taste.

Edited by Waski_the_Squirrel

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I don't know why, but my post appeared twice. It was only good enough for once, so I deleted this version, but can't seem to delete the post.

Edited by Waski_the_Squirrel

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Anyone have a Burnished Gold Collier and mind sharing a picture? You all are making the Collier work its way up on my wish list...

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

AK,

Here is a photo from Goulet Pen Co.'s recent blog posting. I have one and I think it is outstanding, deep gold pearlescence in a very dark resin. This photo looks a lot like the Burnished Gold Collier I bought last March. I love to write with this pen, feels perfect in my hand.

post-106621-0-52354400-1502585148_thumb.jpg

Edited by graystranger

AK,

I found that I do have a photo of my Collier. I took it to show size comparisons between my Pilot Metropolitan, Edison Sapphire Flake Beaumont, Edison Sonoran Sunset Pearlette, and my Burnished Gold Collier. Here it is, shows the pearlescence very nicely.

post-106621-0-59833700-1502586756_thumb.jpg

Edited by graystranger

Thanks graystranger! Was hoping to see if a "real life" picture lives up to the marketing shots -- I'm aware of how skilled Goulet's photographers are!

Looks like of the Colliers it would be the most "understated class" of the four, which is what I prefer.

Appreciate you sharing,

~AK

--EDITED to fix a typo...

Edited by AK-47

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

AK, it is really understated elegance, which appeals to me too. The photos you see are in bright light, which shows up the depth of the pearlescence in the acrylic. My photo was taken on my front porch on a bright day, under its roof. But in lower light levels it looks very conservative, like a dark brown, nearly black. Meticulously fabricated and fitted, the finish is stunning.

Not being able to post the cap is only the real negative I can see in the pen, and that does not bother me at all. Of course the acrylic material's pattern and color is a matter of personal taste.

The acrylic is totally machined, the walls of the barrel and cap are nicely thick. Nothing cheap at all about this pen. It is light, and some people mistakenly equate light pens with cheap pens. Both low quality and high quality pens can be light or heavy, it has nothing to do with quality.

• 4 weeks later...

Can't get enough Colliers. Almost the signature shape of Edison. Eye dropper and they live forever.