Edison Collier Fp - What Are Your Opinions?

abritdownunder

I'm thinking about buying an Edison Collier Fountain Pen (Persimmon Swirl), with a 1.1 italic stub nib, from Goulet Pens. Does anyone own, or has anyone used, one of these pens? They look great, and I like stub nibs, but I usually don't like cartridge converter pens. So, if anyone has any experience with these pens, I'd love to hear it.

Regards,

Kevin

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• graystranger

• KKay

• WaskiSquirrel

• akrohn2010

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you can simply convert them into eyedroppers. just apply a little silicon grease on the threads and get rid of the converter

http://josephchow42.smugmug.com/SmugPreview/FPN/i-RXgD3pQ/0/O/phpPA0FkQPM.jpg

I'm thinking about buying an Edison Collier Fountain Pen (Persimmon Swirl), with a 1.1 italic stub nib, from Goulet Pens. Does anyone own, or has anyone used, one of these pens? They look great, and I like stub nibs, but I usually don't like cartridge converter pens. So, if anyone has any experience with these pens, I'd love to hear it.

My dad has had a Collier for nearly 2 years. It is a fantastic pen. I now sell Edison pens, and I bought a Collier in Antique Marble for myself (mostly because I liked my dad's Collier SO much).

I think the Collier is a great pen. It isn't little, and it doesn't post. But, if that doesn't bother you, I think you'll love it.

A word on the nib you're wanting: The JoWo stubs available on the Edison production pens are not tipped. This is to say, they are not custom ground nibs. I don't offer the stock JoWo stubs because I grind stubs for my clients when they request it. I've tuned several of these stock JoWo stubs and, while they're not the same as a custom-ground stub, they can be made to write quite nicely. The major "pause" I have over the stock JoWo stubs is their longevity. Untipped nibs won't last as long as a tipped nib, and the writing qualities will change more quickly as a result of normal friction over even the best paper.

The Goulets are great and very reputable retailers. If they are offering everything you want, I see no reason for you not to buy what you want from them! :)

Blessings,

Tim

Tim Girdler Pens  (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age.
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics

I have a Edison Collier and it is a large pen and a smooth writer. I have a cursive italic nib (before modification it was a M). It doesn't post.

I understand that the Edison Collier is a "non-posting" pen.

(If posting is important for you, I'd suggest you confirm with Goulet's if it can be done.)

For me, not able to post would pose no hardship, as I always keep the cap in my hands. My lovely Edison Pearl also does not post.

As far as Edisons in general, they are very well built, of quality materials & have the best quality German stainless nibs. The grip section is particularly comfortable, even for my small hands.

I ordered mine from the Edison factory with a smooth, stainless 1.1 mm stub which Pendleton Brown improved even further. Since then he has made a wonderful 1.1 mm CI out of another italic nib.

That persimmon swirl is a lovely material.

Highly recommended. Go for it!

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

It is one of my favorite pens. Originally I got it with a medium nib and it wasn't really a comfortable pen to use, but when I substituted in the 1.1 stub it immediately shot to the top of my most used pens.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Very Happy with my Collier (Antique Marble!)!

Yes, it can be used as an eyedropper........

-Frank

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

While the Jowo 1.1 mm stub is without tipping, it is nevertheless a wide grade nib. Depending on the ink & the paper you use, it will give you a fairly wide line.

Unfortunately, the "tipped" stainless or 18K JoWo nib-units max out at a B. There is not enough tipping material in a grade B to produce a 1.1 mm width italic nib.

The tipping on a BB nib may get you close, but JoWo doesn't go that wide.

In my experience,... the best that a highly regarded nib tech could grind from the meager tipping on a JoWo B was a 0.8 mm stub. This nib actually wrote much narrower than its stated size.

The stainless JoWo 1.1 mm is a cheap & cheerful nib that you might wear out in a decade.

But, your replacement would be only be about 25.00 USD.

Think the Esterbrook's un-tipped 2000 series nibs.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I love my Edison Collier Persimmon Swirl with 1.1 nib. :wub:

I got it with a 1.5 nib which I found a little too wide, but the 1.1 is great. It's a big pen, but light and no - it definitely doesn't post.

I'm hoping to get the new steel blue next.

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

In my experience,... the best that a highly regarded nib tech could grind from the meager tipping on a JoWo B was a 0.8 mm stub. This nib actually wrote much narrower than its stated size.

I thought that I'd jump in on this, as I respectfully disagree.

I've been grinding the Broad nibs to 1.1mm italics from the very beginning, along with all of the other people who grind them. It's possible that you had a nib that was an anomaly....but for sure, Broads will create 1.1mm italics. If you do have one that's faulty, feel free to reach out to us.

Fines will make .7mm, Mediums .9mm, and Broads 1.1mm.

Thanks!

I like my collier and an consisting purchasing another one. One thing I did not expect tho is how skinny the section is compared to the body.

It is comfortable enough if it's the first pen I use. If I use my Pelikan M805 or Pilot Custom 823 first then switch to the collier the section feels tiny.

I love my Collier. I also have the Persimmon swirl but since I bought mine from the signature line, I chose a black cap tip, section and black end cap. I also chose the pump-fill.

If you don't like converters, just think of them as piston fillers that you can see the ink through!

I love my Collier. I also have the Persimmon swirl but since I bought mine from the signature line, I chose a black cap tip, section and black end cap. I also chose the pump-fill.

If you don't like converters, just think of them as piston fillers that you can see the ink through!

How much was the collier with pump filler? That sounds very tempting to me!

• 3 years later...

Just purchased my first Edison Fountain Pen and chose the Collier Persimmon Swirl with a 1.1 stub nib too. I loved the colours on this pen...simply beautiful.

Can't wait for it to arrive in the mail now.

Super happy with my large, non posting 1.1 stubbed collier

How does the 1.1 stub perform in the Collier?

Until recently I preferred fine nibs in my pens. However, after buying a 1.1 stub for my TWSBI 580 a few weeks ago, I think I've been converted.

I LOVE my Collier. I have an extra fine but I'm considering a broader nib for it. It's one of the most comfortable pens I own and it's just beautiful.