Waterman Hemisphere Vs Expert

ProfCG

Hey everyone, I am new to these forums and I have to say I have enjoyed reading thoroughly throughout the forums about Waterman pens, however I did not come across many topics about the kind of 'lower end' (if you might) Waterman Pens and I was wondering, what do you guys think about the Hemisphere and then the Expert, and is it worth the extra money for the Expert?

I am not a beginner, I have been writing with fountain pens from the age of around 9, but I have not had chance to purchase a nice pen, and I LOVE watermen pens in general. So expert advice from people who may or may not have these pens would be nice :)

What are your thoughts? And thanks :)

Edited by ProfCG

The wise man speaks because he has something to say: The fool? Because he has to say something... Plato 377BC.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ProfCG

• Ernst Bitterman

• GG917

• alwayspete

I have two hemispheres but not an expert... I think the main difference concern the size of the pen, the expert being a larger pen than the Hemisphere. Both share the same steel nib.

One of my hemisphere has a fine nib and the other a medium one. The medium one was perfect out of the box, a bit on the dry side. The fine one required some flow adjustment and smoothing to suit my taste. now it is one of my EDC pen.

Both of them are in metal finish, one is the classic "flighter" and the other the "guilloche" called deluxe by waterman. Their weight is perfect for me, not too light but not too heavy at the same time. Perfect blance in my hand. However they are slim pen so if you prefer thicker pens go for the expert.

If you like Watermans for the lacquer finish then you will love these pens. If you like heavy pens then you really need to try both for fit.

If you like lighter pens, at the cost of losing the marbled lacquer, try the Expert I. It's a resin pen, harder finish than a Phileas, softer than a Charleston.

Expert II and Hemi both use the same size #5 nib. The Expert II shares the basic nib shape & material with most of its steel nib contemporaries (Laureat II, Apostrophe, etc). The Hemi nib is unique to the steels, and is the same size and shape as (and swaps with) the Preface and Charleston. The Hemi also takes the Kaweco Sport nib and feed, including italics.

Expert I nibs are unique to them.

Expert III (New Generation) and Hemi 2010 nibs are the same as their previous models save the cosmetics.

The only Expert I tried was a II, and I didn't see enough difference in performance to forgive the extra expense, and because I prefer a lighter pen the extra weight didn't help.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Thanks for the replies everyone! i have gone and brought a fine Hemi and i have to say, after writing about 2 sides of A4 i am LOVING this pen! there is a HUGE difference in quality from the lower end pens to these nicer ones! i do prefer the lighter pens than heavier ones and i do love the black lacquer on these pens i have to say.

I will try to post a picture of this pen later on, as it is looking fine in its 23k gold.

Thanks again everyone

ProfCG

The wise man speaks because he has something to say: The fool? Because he has to say something... Plato 377BC.

there is a HUGE difference in quality from the lower end pens to these nicer ones! i do prefer the lighter pens than heavier ones and i do love the black lacquer on these pens i have to say.

That is totally true, the Hemisphere had a very good quality for its price. The only minor setback I can find are the injection mold trace left on the section.

I will try to post a picture of this pen later on, as it is looking fine in its 23k gold.

This is only gold platted nib, don't get confised with "pure" gold nib. Is your fine nib smooth and wet? mine needed quite some adjustments...

That is totally true, the Hemisphere had a very good quality for its price. The only minor setback I can find are the injection mold trace left on the section.

This is only gold platted nib, don't get confised with "pure" gold nib. Is your fine nib smooth and wet? mine needed quite some adjustments...

Yes it is only gold plated :( but i cant argue with the writing quality, and im sure this pens value would be ridiculously bigger if everything was pure gold...

and no, my fine nib is very nice and smooth... i had some railroading at the start but that is to be expected in the first 10 minutes...

One thing I like about the Expert is the the way the cap clicks securely into place when posted.

hello to all. i have had my hemi for a bit and i have to say, (after writing about 50 sides of A4 by now) that it is a very nice pen, however i have brought an expert also to see how it is, and so far they are neck and neck... i actually have rather small hands so my pens are prefered thinner than thicker, so i do prefer the hemi... and damn are watermans nice smooth inks! intense black and i think serenity blue are some damn nice inks... anyone else have an opinion on these inks?

• 3 months later...

Hi, I have been using the Expert from a year and I must admit it is one of the smoothest pens I have had in my collection. I do own a few Parker Sonnets and a Sailor 1911. But keeping gold nibs apart expert is a very dependable pen. I stay in India and since its a place with hot climate I didnt go for the lacquered version but for the brushed metal version, and it has served the purpose:) Besides, somehow I just keep coming back to this pen in my rotation. I use sheaffer blue and pelikan royal blue inks.

I might try a hemi but expert has a better grip section.

I like the fact that a 18ct solid gold nib from a preface fits into a hemisphere section. It gives the pen a bit more luxury.

Nib (re)plating: please visit www.Dutchpen.com

first generation expert for me because of the tridimensional bevelled nib

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 1 year later...

I have a pre 2010 Hemisphere with M nib and an Expert with F nib.

The Hemisphere was my everyday writer for years.

It was made obsolete by the Expert. I like the Expert better because it is heavier and better balanced. It has a brass element in the body that gives it weight where it is needed.

I feel that the Expert has a higher flow of ink.

The fine nib on the Expert is the same width as the medium nib on Hemisphere.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Hemisphere and both Mk I and Mk II Experts. The Expert II is a lacquered finish and is much heavier than the other two, which I personally like. To me the plastic body on the Hemisphere and the Expert I make them feel less expensive. Though I do like the sort of tri-level nib on the Expert I.The Hemisphere is a nice pen atht aI use frqeuejtly for notetaling. But when I want to write a paragraph or more, I reach for the Expert II or one of my Phileases. The Hemisphere is just too slender. I feel the same way about my 1950's blue lacquered C/F. A great pen to jot notes, espeicially with the fine nib. But not something I would want to use to write a number of sentences or more. My two cents worth.

Hi, I have been using the Expert from a year and I must admit it is one of the smoothest pens I have had in my collection. I do own a few Parker Sonnets and a Sailor 1911. But keeping gold nibs apart expert is a very dependable pen. I stay in India and since its a place with hot climate I didnt go for the lacquered version but for the brushed metal version, and it has served the purpose:) Besides, somehow I just keep coming back to this pen in my rotation. I use sheaffer blue and pelikan royal blue inks.

I might try a hemi but expert has a better grip section.

shethkapil

i agree with all of your observations,

plus

my Expert I is smoother than the Expert II

the unique nib on Expert I makes it a different writing experience

the Expert II tends to dry up rather quickly when left uncapped on desk for a while, especially in our hot climes (I am from Pakistan), with fans running full speed, often atop the desk.

to the OP

Expert II is heavier - to my liking

Hemisphere is slightly thinner and lighter, but not a great deal, i have the fighter and two metal lacquered versions (green and red) and they write very well - dependable pens

the ink flow is generous in all my Watermans.

all three pens post well

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1343147131__dscn6497.jpg

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/396361741ff16eb1cda3386c73010a92a499324a.JPG

Edited by jslallar

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

I have a Hemisphere and both Mk I and Mk II Experts. The Expert II is a lacquered finish and is much heavier than the other two, which I personally like. To me the plastic body on the Hemisphere and the Expert I make them feel less expensive. Though I do like the sort of tri-level nib on the Expert I.The Hemisphere is a nice pen atht aI use frqeuejtly for notetaling. But when I want to write a paragraph or more, I reach for the Expert II or one of my Phileases. The Hemisphere is just too slender. I feel the same way about my 1950's blue lacquered C/F. A great pen to jot notes, espeicially with the fine nib. But not something I would want to use to write a number of sentences or more. My two cents worth.

I would say that the lacquered pens feel more substantial. The plastic cap and barrel on my Montblanc 144s do not make them feel cheap, just lightweight.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

...and lightweight is, for some, a desirable quality in a pen one means to push around for a few hours a day. As they say in the space operas, it's mass that hurts you.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

• 1 year later...

I stay in India and since its a place with hot climate I didnt go for the lacquered version but for the brushed metal version, and it has served the purpose:)

What's the issue of using a lacquered pen in a hot climate? Thanks