Thinking Of Buying Mb 146

dcohenafp

I am thinking about a MB 146 in Platinum Trim in Medium Nib. Is this a great pen? Will the Platinum Trim detract from the value in the future vs. the gold standard trim?

<p>New FP Enthusiast. MB 146M, Pelikan M605F, Lamy 2000M, Lamy VistaF, TWISBIM

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcohenafp

• meiers

• orfew

• Pen2009

Regardless of the trim colour, the 146 is a great pen. Mine is almost always inked.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

It is a great pen. If you buy from the secondary market then you can relax about the value. Regardless of trim, modern 146s will take a long time to ever re-sell at boutique prices, if ever.

I prefer platinum trims since most of my watches are white metals. They are also less attention-grabbing for the uninitiated.

That said, all of my current 146s are gold-trimmed, as they had nibs I could not leave behind.

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

I have the same impulse at last year, when I finally went to a local boutique store, the sale lady told me, why pay for the brand, and recommended me sailor for a much cheaper price, When I finally bought an Aurora 88, she said, aurora is an overpriced but it has a very good nib.

I bought a vintage mb 144 on ebay, the first generation of plastic feeder one, I deemed it is authentic. I have to say, mb's nib is surely beauty from aesthetic point of view, but it feels weird when writing with it, I am not sure why.

My suggestion, why not try some wonderful pieces under brands which are not too "overpriced"? Say, nakaya? Personally I never own one, but I do have it a try at boutique stores. It may be a more worthy choice considering what u paid.

Again, why pay for the brand.

PS, It's absolutely based on the personal experience of a college student who love writing with fountain pen, and I have never try to deny that mb 146 is an wonderful pen. If I get a decent paid job, it will surely be in my wishing list.

Good Luck

Gee~

It is a great pen. If you buy from the secondary market then you can relax about the value. Regardless of trim, modern 146s will take a long time to ever re-sell at boutique prices, if ever.

Stop thinking and start buying what you like

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

Stop thinking and start buying what you like

Agreed, buy what you like.

Edited by orfew

out of all my pens i carry my 146, everywhere, to heck and back. It is a true german work horse and Mines in extrafine, it do have a subtle variation,

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

I'll add to this, too: a 146 (M) was was my first fancy pen. I bought it used at a pen show--and it really is just a wonderful pen. I use it all the time, for work, for journaling, for whatever--always some kind of blue ink in it. I'm sure you'll like it if you end up getting it. I also imagine that it will only whet your appetite for more pens, as it did for me.

Oh--and the platinum trim will look lovely (though mine is the gold)!

Good luck!

Chris

I have a 146 with an OM nib. I replaced the original M nib with this new OM through MB's nib exchange service. As this 146 is the real first fountain pen I purchased several years ago, there is a sentimental value to it in addition to all the other attributes to this model.

But, when I compare the 146 with the 149 side by side, I tend to be gravitated toward the 149. The reason I put the OM nib on the 146 is to differentiate it from my 149s (EF, F, B, OBB).

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

'Tis a great pen! Don't hesitate if you can pick one up for the right price. ;)

I have a MB 146 F with gold trim that was purchased new, and a 146 B with platinum trim that was purchased used from FPN classifieds. Both are a joy to use. Normally I wear gold jewelry and am drawn to gold. But since my watch is two toned, I decided to try the platinum. The platinum is very attractive and I am happy that I got one of each. It makes it easy to know which size nib I am grabbing.

Which nibs on the MB 146 do you prefer. I am gravitating between a F and M. I have a Lamy Vista F, which I like and a TWISBI 580 M, which I also like a lot.

Which nibs on the MB 146 do you prefer. I am gravitating between a F and M. I have a Lamy Vista F, which I like and a TWISBI 580 M, which I also like a lot.

I used to write exclusively with medium nibs. Last year I acquired an EF nib and this year an OBB nib. They are all excellent in their own way.

You can buy cheaper fountain pens. Been there done that. I have given my cheaper pens to friends and "pen pals" and moved on.

Edited by meiers

What is your experience with the MB being inferior quality and the pistons and barrels breaking?

Also please compare M to OM nibs.

What is your experience with the MB being inferior quality and the pistons and barrels breaking?

MB pens are top-notch in my experience.

I have more than 30 MBs and have not noticed that they are any more fragile than comparable pens.

I use my pen for work, signing checks, making notes and signing off reports. Should i get F, M, or OM?

I use my pen for work, signing checks, making notes and signing off reports. Should i get F, M, or OM?

If that is the case it doesn't matter which nib you buy.

My Website