I'm Curious, How Many Of Us Have Kaigelu 316's?

richardandtracy

Hi

Just one for me at the moment, one of the Amber/Grey ones, an excellent well made pen for the money and nice and heavy, I don't object to the brass end on mine. Will be getting a charcoal one next.

Paul

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Flounder

• Contax1961

• dcwaites

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was going to order one, and a finial, and then several things happened together, just before the local pen show, so I may have to wait a bit before I get one and, if Richard makes more, a finial. Well, actually, not big on heavy pens, so maybe at that point I'll om Richard first, because possibly it won't do me much good with the heavy brass bit...

I'm not sure that tells us anything, does it?

Ah, well, that's me all over...

T

I don't have a 316, but I do have a 363 (thinner pen) that I like better than my Jinhao 611.

The 316 when I looked it up, looks similar in size to the Jinhao X450 and X750 that I have (Though both of those are probably heavier than the Kaigelu 316). I love the X750 btw. Come to think of it, the 316 looks similar in size to the Baoer 507 (8 horse metal barrel) that I have that I don't use that often.

Oddly I hear more mentions of Jinhao and Baoer than I have of Kaigelu, so kind of an opposite experience, was actually told to avoid Hero in general if I was already looking to spend above 5$ in for a chinese market pen. I'll actually see Jinhaos for sale at places at Goulet Pen and such, but not Kaigelu.

Edited by KBeezie

I have a charcoal one. It is a nice looking pen other than the poorly done plating on the nib, which is a major turnoff. I haven't used mine in months and don't expect that to change soon.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

I have one in Amber and Grey celluloid, bought it recently on Ebay for $20,50. Really nice, for the price it is very impressive and great quality. Some people say that the coloring of the two tone nib is off center, but mine is ok! I have read that Kaigelu is an Autralian company but make their pens in China, is this true?

Vintage: 1910´s Astra Safety Pen. 1920´s Mabie Todd Swan lever filler, Royal Red Hard Rubber, The Eric Pen Woodgrain Ebonite. 1930´s Morrison´s Overlay Filigree, Waterman´s Ideal Thorobred, Conklin Endura. 1940´s Eversharp Skyline, Parker Vacumatic, Aurora 88. 1950´s Conway Stewart 15, Esterbrook J. 1970´s Sheaffer Imperial. 1980´s Cross Century Classic. 1990´s Rotring Newton Lava.

Modern: Nakaya Neo Standard, Montblanc Meisterstuck 149, Pelikan Souverän M1000, Omas 360 Vintage, Sailor 1911 Black Luster, Pilot Capless Raden, Pilot Custom 823 FA, Platinum 3776 Maki-e, Namiki Falcon, Lamy 2000, Montegrappa Espressione Duetto, Delta Dolce Vita, Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze, Stipula Etruria Rainbow, Marlen Aleph, Bexley Poseidon, Franklin-Christoph 02, Namisu Nexus Titanium, Tactile Turn Gist, Karas Kustoms Ink, Twsbi Vac 700, Levenger L-Tech, Filcao Atlantica, Kaweco AC Sport, Lamy Safari.

Custom: Scriptorium Pens Idyll, Jonathon Brooks Solar Dust, Newton Pens Eastman, Fisher of Pens Hydra, Romulus Pen Works Snakewood, John Brady Solano, Lyle Ross Pompey, Troy Clark Copper pen, Antiguas Estilográficas Ebonite, Ryan Krusac Legend L14, Aileron pens Tsunami, Edison Pens Collier Amber, Sutra Pens Aquila Octopi, Hooligan Pens Buffalo Celluloid, Yoshi Nakama Snake pen, Kilk Kalem Pandora´s Box, Hakumin Urushi Ao Tamenuri Pearl, Fosfor Pens Islander, Sutra Pen Aquila.

I have one in Amber and Grey celluloid, bought it recently on Ebay for $20,50. Really nice, for the price it is very impressive and great quality. Some people say that the coloring of the two tone nib is off center, but mine is ok! I have read that Kaigelu is an Autralian company but make their pens in China, is this true?

... I'd probably be able to tell ya if their domain wasn't Error 500 right now. http://www.kaigelu.net/ (well the English is dead, but the Chinese site pulls up).

They're definitely Chinese from their contact address and 163.com email.

Edited by KBeezie

PS: I'm betting the Kangaroo (Kaigelu most likely being the way it sounds from Chinese characters) logo was meant to originally copy the style of the Pelikan Logo, a cute animal looking down on a baby animal.

I've got one !!! As you know.. ;)

I'll be honest.....I was put off this pen as it was heavy...... (so I got a Kaigelu 323 as you said how good they are (were) and the 316 is back heavy because of the finial (which for me is a downer, but I bought one anyway as you kept going on about how good they are :lticaptd:

In fact until you did me a finial, I never used this pen........(should never have bought it...the price was rediculous... :D )

Since you did the finial....it is never out of rotation :o :yikes:

Of course what it really needs is one of your Italic/stub nibs ;)

Oh forgot to add....mines charcoal.......

To my eyes the best colour......

Oh, I should add I wanted the white one.....as I liked the Parker 'copy' :lticaptd:

But you put me off that as you said it was 'transparent'....... :rolleyes:

Incidentallly........Charcoal really is a fantastic colour......no joking :wub:

I really like the Amber color because it has a Caramel tone to it but also adds some grey or charcoal patches on the Celluloid. They advertise the material as celluloid, but is it really celluloid? because I know that material is much more expensive than Resin.

Vintage: 1910´s Astra Safety Pen. 1920´s Mabie Todd Swan lever filler, Royal Red Hard Rubber, The Eric Pen Woodgrain Ebonite. 1930´s Morrison´s Overlay Filigree, Waterman´s Ideal Thorobred, Conklin Endura. 1940´s Eversharp Skyline, Parker Vacumatic, Aurora 88. 1950´s Conway Stewart 15, Esterbrook J. 1970´s Sheaffer Imperial. 1980´s Cross Century Classic. 1990´s Rotring Newton Lava.

Modern: Nakaya Neo Standard, Montblanc Meisterstuck 149, Pelikan Souverän M1000, Omas 360 Vintage, Sailor 1911 Black Luster, Pilot Capless Raden, Pilot Custom 823 FA, Platinum 3776 Maki-e, Namiki Falcon, Lamy 2000, Montegrappa Espressione Duetto, Delta Dolce Vita, Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze, Stipula Etruria Rainbow, Marlen Aleph, Bexley Poseidon, Franklin-Christoph 02, Namisu Nexus Titanium, Tactile Turn Gist, Karas Kustoms Ink, Twsbi Vac 700, Levenger L-Tech, Filcao Atlantica, Kaweco AC Sport, Lamy Safari.

Custom: Scriptorium Pens Idyll, Jonathon Brooks Solar Dust, Newton Pens Eastman, Fisher of Pens Hydra, Romulus Pen Works Snakewood, John Brady Solano, Lyle Ross Pompey, Troy Clark Copper pen, Antiguas Estilográficas Ebonite, Ryan Krusac Legend L14, Aileron pens Tsunami, Edison Pens Collier Amber, Sutra Pens Aquila Octopi, Hooligan Pens Buffalo Celluloid, Yoshi Nakama Snake pen, Kilk Kalem Pandora´s Box, Hakumin Urushi Ao Tamenuri Pearl, Fosfor Pens Islander, Sutra Pen Aquila.

No, it's an acrylic resin.

There are two types of celluloid, cellulose nitrate, which smells of moth balls, and cellulose acetate, which doesn't smell but seems to have a tingle on the tongue when you taste it.

There are lots of different resins, and for pen making the blanks end up costing around £20000/ton - which is pretty expensive. However, celluloid is more expensive still, by a factor of 5 or so.

Regards,

Richard

Thanks Richard for the class hehehehe, it is really nice to learn new things and how they are made :D

I have two on the way, Amber and White. I have read wonderful reviews with the only complaint being a balance issue. I'd read of Richards finials curing that and have been debating on asking him to make some for me. Seeing his add made me jump up and order both pens and finials. Really looking forward to getting both. My wife's expression will be priceless when I tell her I "had" to order more pens. Don't ask how many I've bought in the last couple of months.

Paul

What are "Richards finials"? I would look into this.

I have two of these discovered through reviews and recommends on here. 'Sfunny, from the tone of the reviews I'd have thought ownership was more widespread.

Two for colour-coding reasons - white/grey marble for black ink (I ordered the charcoal ... nevermind) and amber/grey for brown and brownish inks.

They're heavy, they're massive, their nibs are a bit wider than I'd prefer, but the nibs are very smooth, and the resin feels nice when I fidget with them write, so they're made of win as far as I'm concerned.

The power of FPN. I will have a a 316 just in time to sign my income tax return on April 15! Add one more soon-to-be-owner to your list.

Actually received it today, Fri 21! Six days from Shanghai. Hmmm, that was a Doris Day song

Oh, why did I tell you it was bye-bye for Shanghai

I'm even allergic to rice

Why don't you stop me when I talk about Shanghai

It's just a lover's device

Be that as it may. here is a writing sample. Because of the threading in resin on the cap and the section, I'd recommend doing the turn for the click before screwing. It's just a lover's device!

http://s271.photobucket.com/user/dick168/media/OzzieDuofold_zps1b757e4d.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=1

I have one and as of yesterday was still trying to like it. Weight I don't mind so much because I just decided to write with the pen unposted, but I can't get past how it writes like a nail. Pen overall is just super stiff even though the quality is very good. I'm in the process of swapping out the nib for something less rigid to see if that helps.

Graham

Received both my 316 and the finial today. I love how smooth the nib is right out of the box, but the pen is very back heavy. I've been soaking the barrel in hot water like richard suggested, but the finial is stubborn and refuses to budge. After heating the plastic for a while though I notice a faint smell from it, similar to the odor from mahjong tiles.

I notice a faint smell from it, similar to the odor from mahjong tiles.

WOW! That is esoteric knowledge!

I only know the click-clack sound from walking by open windows.