The Custom 823 Reconsidered

rwilsonedn

Every time it comes up in the rotation I stop to wonder at the Pilot Custom 823. In so many ways it is my ideal of a modern pen. Most obviously, I guess, it has an interesting filling system. It's not the most efficient filler around, but it is one of the most entertaining. And I really like the cut-off valve. I like it on vintage ED pens, and I like it here. But then I also really like the feel of the materials, weight, and balance of the 823: just about ideal for long periods of writing, at least for my relatively small hands.

Then there is the quality of materials, fit, and finish. I find myself just staring into the translucent brown plastic sometimes. And then there is that nib. I have a M, and it is superbly smooth without being slippery, and so eager to provide ink (unlike many high-end modern pens that seem to have built-in baby-bottom on the assumption that you will press down with both hands) that I write with the nib barely resting on the paper.

Altogether there is nothing I could think of improving about this pen for my uses. Sure, it could be impressively bigger, but it would not be so comfortable for me. Sure, it could have an unobtainium nib, or a barrel and cap formed over a century by four generations of master lacquer and urushi craftsmen. I would love that. But I would never take it out of the house. The 823 takes its place in the regular line-up, time after time.

Is this just a coincidence of my tastes and this pen, or are there other people out there who really admire this design?

ron

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• enricof

• Koyote

• cnjackson

I have been smitten with this pen (B nib) since it arrived in June and use it daily. For me the luscious nib, weight, feel and design are all lovely. I am going to restrain myself from venturing further into Japanese pens.

This is one of my favorites as well. It's attractive, yet understated. It reveals more and more pleasures the longer you own it.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I utterly adore this pen for all the reasons stated above. How much do I love it? Well, I have it in...

Smoke - F nib

Clear - M nib

Clear - B nib

Amber - FA nib (Pilot original order Falcon Flex nib direct from Japan)

Clear - W nib (Pilot original order Waverly nib direct from Japan)

It is reliable, beautiful, functional, balanced and utterly smooth. I really like the ink volume (particularly with the 100% fill trick...) and the cut off valve... wonderful if you spend a lot of time on business trips and in airplanes. No bling factor, just simple functional perfection in an understated aesthetic package.

Takes a licking and keeps on ticking, never lets me down. :thumbup:

Great pen... and one them noted above is always in rotation,

Edited by Powerbroker

A proud member of the Pittsburgh Fountain Pen Club

Fall Down 7, Stand Up 8

I bought mine from John Mottishaw at the 2010 Chicago Pen Show and had him grind a broad nib into a .7mm cursive italic for me. It's actually about halfway between a normal cursive italic and a crisp italic, exactly what I wanted. I filled it with the Pilot Blue ink that came with it, and I've refilled it with the same ink whenever it's gotten low ever since. It's the only pen I have (out of nearly 400) that I never flush and put away, it's always inked and ready to go. Such a sweet writer, by far my best.

I've taken to using my Visconti Travelling Ink Pot for filling it. I end up with a complete fill, maybe one little air bubble the size of a BB. It writes seemingly forever when filled like that.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

I am bored by the design, and actively dislike the knob on the clip. And yet I have two 823s nonetheless, one demonstrator with a M nib and a smoked one with a F nib. The pen is that good.

Well I finally broke down and ordered one from John Mottishaw. It's supposed to arrive Friday, with a B nib ground to a CI. I can hardly wait.

Other than the loosening of the blind cap to ensure proper ink flow, is there anything else I should know?

Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R.Tolkien

Well I finally broke down and ordered one from John Mottishaw. It's supposed to arrive Friday, with a B nib ground to a CI. I can hardly wait.

Other than the loosening of the blind cap to ensure proper ink flow, is there anything else I should know?

To get a complete fill. rather than 2/3 of a fill...

1) Take the empty pen and fill it up as you would normally. It should fill somewhere around 2/3 of the way

2) Flip the pen over, so that the nib points up

3) Pull the plunger back, so that the rod is fully extended (don't worry, this step is clean. just make sure ink doesn't drip off of the nib)

4) Carefully push the air bubble out of the pen. As soon as you can't see any more air, stop

5) Hold the blind cap firmly, so that the pressure from the vacuum doesn't push it back out

6) Flip the pen over, stick it back into the bottle, keeping the plunger depressed

7) Expel all of the ink, then fill like normal. It'll go all the way to the top.

Here's a video that shows it.

A proud member of the Pittsburgh Fountain Pen Club

Fall Down 7, Stand Up 8

Powerbroker, thanks very much for this information!

sadiemagic

To get a complete fill. rather than 2/3 of a fill...

1) Take the empty pen and fill it up as you would normally. It should fill somewhere around 2/3 of the way

2) Flip the pen over, so that the nib points up

3) Pull the plunger back, so that the rod is fully extended (don't worry, this step is clean. just make sure ink doesn't drip off of the nib)

4) Carefully push the air bubble out of the pen. As soon as you can't see any more air, stop

5) Hold the blind cap firmly, so that the pressure from the vacuum doesn't push it back out

6) Flip the pen over, stick it back into the bottle, keeping the plunger depressed

7) Expel all of the ink, then fill like normal. It'll go all the way to the top.

Here's a video that shows it.

Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R.Tolkien

Me too, have been bitten by the 823 subtle charme.

One of the three (most often the bronze one) is always inked (as well one of my VP, M1000, 149, Mikado).

Other pens can get out on rotation, these are the five models (that I own in more than one specimen) that are always ready for me.

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

I'd like to join this thread as I am considering either a Sailor 1911 large or the 823. It seems that the 823 has man fans.

Is it possible to get an 823 with a BB nib? And do people find that the nib lays down a good wet line?

Thanks!

Chris

I have one amber 823 with a nice B nib. I find that I don't use the pen all that much. I think the reason is the ink shut off valve. I usually don't have long stretch writing to do and I find that I have to open the valve every 2-3 writing bursts, in case i forget it, the ink in the feed runs out and the flow does not start immediately when I open the valve, some effort is required. I can defeat the valve, but I don't have the heart to do that on such a nicely made pen. FWIW, I have the same issue with my Dani Trio pens and I have reversibly defeated the ink shutoff valve on my favorite Mikado (Thanks Brian!).

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hi Chris, no. BB is not a stock option.

No, but you can easily do a nib swap. The 743 has the complete range of nibs, and if you order that, and swap the nib with the 823, you will end up with a 743 in a configuration that could be considered "stock" and a 823 with a custom nib. Then just unload the 743 on the classifieds.

No, but you can easily do a nib swap. The 743 has the complete range of nibs, and if you order that, and swap the nib with the 823, you will end up with a 743 in a configuration that could be considered "stock" and a 823 with a custom nib. Then just unload the 743 on the classifieds.

if only life were so simple.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

... snip..

I have the same issue with my Dani Trio pens and I have reversibly defeated the ink shutoff valve on my favorite Mikado (Thanks Brian!).

Best

Hari

Funny you found easier to tamper a Mikado than a 823...

I know of your aversion for the shut off valve; may I ask how was it done on the Mikado?

Could consider doing it on one of mine.

Edited by enricof

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

if only life were so simple.

If you wanted to trigger curiosity, you managed to do it.

Would you clarify?

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

Funny you found easier to tamper a Mikado than a 823...

I know of your aversion for the shut off valve; may I ask how was it done on the Mikado?

Could consider doing it on one of mine.

believe me, the Dani is a much simpler, closer to the earth kind of pen. Also you have to like the pen that much...

I will write an email to you back channel with pictures. I don't want pens, people (and their feelings) to get hurt.

Edited by hari317

If you wanted to trigger curiosity, you managed to do it.

Would you clarify?

I don't think it is so simple to sell a pen and recover the money you spent when you fully disclose as having tampered with it at home (e.g. I pulled the stock nib and put the stock nib from another pilot into this). YMMV. also you stand to lose whatever warranty you have on a new pen.

Also nib swaps with a BB nib needs some skilful set up post the graft.

BTW Enricof, thanks to this thread about your favorite pen, you are back posting on FPN, i think after a long gap? Welcome!